Author Topic: City Not OK With 11-Year-Old’s Plan to Sell Mistletoe to Help Pay for Her Braces (But Says She Can Always Beg)  (Read 4193 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
They already do, DC.  For instance when we lived in CA and went to the flea market on the weekend the entire area was always ringed with vendors who could not get a space, etc. The flea market was no less busy and the people on the outskirts selling anything from strawberries to who knows what made money as well... and not quite the same as illegal aliens since she is an American Citizen....

No wonder so many are on welfare when people criticize someone for actually wanting to work for a living - no matter how young rather than take a handout... she had to go climb the trees and cut the mistletoe, bag it, and will be shipping all 3,000 units she has now sold...   unlike our former liberal spy who thought the we all owed him a college degree and free healthcare, this 11-year-old wants to earn her way in the world... and for that I commend her.

Me too, Rap!

Anyone of my five children would have done the same thing.   

And, resourcefulness will get you farther today than a Bachelor of Arts degree.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

Me too, Rap!

Anyone of my five children would have done the same thing.   

And, resourcefulness will get you farther today than a Bachelor of Arts degree.

Glenn Beck interviewed heer today and asked her where this comes from.. she said by dad is an entrepreneur and so is my grandfather.. it is just what our family does.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline LambChop

Nope.. if she was "working" the system then she would have done what the guards told her to do - beg.   She is a very intelligent and articulate young lady and when offered donations since she refused saying she wanted to work for her money, not take handouts.

I guess some people would have her do what the people on both sides of her were doing - sell pot.

The guard told her she could sell her wares outside the market, or beg.  ALSO, the story about two people on each side of her selling pot has turned out to be false.  geesh.   And the adults in her life aren't teaching her the proper way of doing things.  The parent should have forked over the permit fee *probably reasonable, most are approx $25 - $45* if he wanted his child to learn the gratification of earning your way.  God knows how many boxes of cookies, candy bars and what not I've bought for my children, nieces, nephews, etc.

Instead these people "work" the system.

I guess some people think its OK to teach children they're special and rules don't apply to them.  Maybe she'll run for Congress when she grows up... she's being primed for it now.

Oceander

Throw them a dollar is you want....but I ain't drinking anything that isn't packaged and sealed.

That's your choice; what gives you the right to force your choice on everyone else?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The guard told her she could sell her wares outside the market, or beg.  ALSO, the story about two people on each side of her selling pot has turned out to be false.  geesh.   And the adults in her life aren't teaching her the proper way of doing things.  The parent should have forked over the permit fee *probably reasonable, most are approx $25 - $45* if he wanted his child to learn the gratification of earning your way.  God knows how many boxes of cookies, candy bars and what not I've bought for my children, nieces, nephews, etc.

Instead these people "work" the system.

I guess some people think its OK to teach children they're special and rules don't apply to them.  Maybe she'll run for Congress when she grows up... she's being primed for it now.

She got a very valuable lesson for a young entrepreneur - government gets it's sticky paws into all the pies.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DCPatriot

That's your choice; what gives you the right to force your choice on everyone else?

Was I?    :pondering:

Didn't mean to do that....was just telling you how I would handle that situation.

You can drink all that swill you like    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

Was I?    :pondering:

Didn't mean to do that....was just telling you how I would handle that situation.

You can drink all that swill you like    :beer:

In this context, and in tandem with your statements about why there ought to be laws regulating hawkers, yes, you are.

Offline LambChop

She got a very valuable lesson for a young entrepreneur - government gets it's sticky paws into all the pies.

EC you may want to take a look at this.

http://www.portlandsaturdaymarket.com/

Who do you think pays for that market to be there, the upkeep, cleaning, web page, etc?
Do you think it's right that someone could just come in and sell wares without paying for those services provided by the market?  While others who follow the rules pay?

Someone is paying for that property to be an open market for vendors.  Vendors pay fees to cover those costs.   Her dad was completely irresponsible in taking her there, knowing full well she'd need a vendors permit.  And he continues to be irresponsible by leading her down the path they are going.  Making her believe SHE is being victimized.   A responsible parent would explain why she's unable to sell there, and get her a permit *showing her the process the whole way* so she can sell there.

Being self sufficient is a whole lot more than just getting a product together.  She should be taught how to navigate the business world too.  And by that, to navigate it with dignity and respect, not manipulation.  But then again I read somewhere he's a PR guy so..........

Offline DCPatriot

In this context, and in tandem with your statements about why there ought to be laws regulating hawkers, yes, you are.

So if your wife opens up a little coffee shop in the neighborhood strip mall....her own little Starbucks...and hawks everything you own to turn the key, hire people, incur a payroll.....and a cute little teenaged girl dressed in Hooter's garb opens up a hot coffee and warm doughnuts CART only 60 ft from her front door.......

whatcha gonna do?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
So if your wife opens up a little coffee shop in the neighborhood strip mall....her own little Starbucks...and hawks everything you own to turn the key, hire people, incur a payroll.....and a cute little teenaged girl dressed in Hooter's garb opens up a hot coffee and warm doughnuts CART only 60 ft from her front door.......

whatcha gonna do?

Hire her and make her shift manager.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink