Author Topic: Pelosi: No jobless aid, no deal  (Read 1002 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pelosi: No jobless aid, no deal
« on: December 05, 2013, 07:44:40 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/192194-pelosi-says-no-budget-deal-without-federal-jobless-benefits

December 05, 2013, 01:40 pm
Pelosi: No jobless aid, no deal

By Vicki Needham

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that Democrats won't support a budget agreement without a reauthorization of federal unemployment benefits.

"We can't support a budget agreement that doesn't include UI [unemployment insurance]," Pelosi said Thursday at a Democratic hearing on the issue.

"It would undermine who we are as a country and strike at the heart of what you bring to America," she said to several unemployed workers who testified at the hearing.

Rep Tom Cole (R-Okla.) said Pelosi's demand was not helpful.

"I don't think adding an item like that at the last minute is particularly helpful to negotiators trying to get a deal," the Oklahoma Republican said Thursday.

The leaders of the House and Senate budget conference, Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), have been working on a deal that would replace a part of the automatic spending cuts known as the sequester.

The two don't have a deal yet, and they are running out of time ahead of a Dec. 13 deadline.

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) struck a pessimistic note, saying Ryan did not have a deal when he updated Boehner on Thursday.

Cole said that by interjecting the issue of extending unemployment benefits, Pelosi was endangering the possibility of turning off the sequester. Earlier this week, Cole said there was little appetite in his conference for extending the benefits, which were first launched as part of the 2009 stimulus bill.

Pelosi argued Republicans are being insensitive to the long-term unemployed.

"Perhaps they don't know, or they know and don't care," she said.

Asked if he supported an extension of unemployment benefits, Boehner repeatedly called on President Obama to produce a specific plan.

"If the president has a plan for extending unemployment benefits, I'd surely entertain taking a look at it," he said.

"But I would argue the president's real focus ought to be creating a better environment for our economy and creating better jobs for the American people. That's where the focus is, not more government programs."

The White House has expressed support for an extension and has said it is even willing to consider offsets to pay for the $25.7 billion program.

House Budget Committee ranking member Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) said the idea to extend benefits has been floated among budget conferees.

The federal jobless benefits kick in after state benefits are exhausted, usually after 26 weeks.

Without action, 1.3 million workers would immediately lose their emergency jobless benefits on Dec. 28.

Ahead of the hearing, the White House released a report detailing the importance of the program, especially while the unemployment rate remains above 7 percent.

It said the 7.3 percent unemployment rate is higher than at the expiration of any previous extended benefits program.

All told, the program has supported nearly 69 million people over five years, including almost 17 million children, according to the White House report.

The Congressional Budget Office said Tuesday that the Democratic legislation would create 200,000 jobs next year and add 0.2 percent growth to the economy.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: Pelosi: No jobless aid, no deal
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:58:26 pm »
How soon will Boehner cave? "Republicans have to be more sensitive to the plight of the unemployed..."
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 08:16:31 pm »
How soon will Boehner cave? "Republicans have to be more sensitive to the plight of the unemployed..."
By the end of the day, he will cave.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 08:28:27 pm »
By the end of the day, he will cave.

I say we all should be more sensitive to the plight of unemployed, homeless, gay, disabled, HIV-positive, undocumented Hispanic women of color.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 08:31:00 pm »
I say we all should be more sensitive to the plight of unemployed, homeless, gay, disabled, HIV-positive, undocumented Hispanic women of color.

In other-words, we should all cave and become liberal progressives... 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 08:32:45 pm »
In other-words, we should all cave and become liberal progressives...

Did I really need to add a sarcasm tag to that post?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 08:38:28 pm »
Did I really need to add a sarcasm tag to that post?

Nope, I was the one being sarcastic... I was referring to the latest from Boehner because that is what he is sounding like (to me)  the GOP has not put two and two together that out liberaling the liberals is a losing hand.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 08:42:40 pm »
the GOP has not put two and two together that out liberaling the liberals is a losing hand.
I think they do know. I think they hate the tea party so much they are willing to lose to get rid of it.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 08:43:53 pm »
Nope, I was the one being sarcastic... I was referring to the latest from Boehner because that is what he is sounding like (to me)  the GOP has not put two and two together that out liberaling the liberals is a losing hand.

I know. I am long past mere frustration at hearing GOP "leaders" apologizing for each and every offense of which Republicans are falsely accused.

It's really pissing me off.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 08:45:44 pm »
I know. I am long past mere frustration at hearing GOP "leaders" apologizing for each and every offense of which Republicans are falsely accused.

It's really pissing me off.

Me, too... me too....

Offline rustynail

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 09:12:34 pm »
Sure is easy to change the subject on the republicans.