Author Topic: Obamacare - fines charitable hospitals that treat uninsured people  (Read 469 times)

Offline IZZY ANN

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Obamacare - fines charitable hospitals that treat uninsured people
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »
It keeps getting worse and worse... BTW. This was in Hillary are, too.

Offline LambChop

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:50:48 AM »
This is one area that I agree with the law.  As it turns out, many of the not-for-profit "charity" hospitals are anything but charitable.
Investigation into this over the last few years have found they don't give out nearly what they get in tax credits for being not-for-profit.

They claim to be helping a community when they are in honesty taking resources from them.

Offline IZZY ANN

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 01:05:27 PM »
This is one area that I agree with the law.  As it turns out, many of the not-for-profit "charity" hospitals are anything but charitable.
Investigation into this over the last few years have found they don't give out nearly what they get in tax credits for being not-for-profit.

They claim to be helping a community when they are in honesty taking resources from them.

I appreciate your comment but I am not sure what you mean by "tax credits" ?  I would honestly like to know the truth about these not-for-profit hospitals and if you can provide any reference material, I would be most appreciative.

I see these Obamacare penalties as just another "in your face" vindictiveness on the part of POS and his administration in achieving their goal to punish as many Americans (businesses) as possible because they do not share the same political ideology nor the same religious beliefs. Just looking forward to "the signature legislation" of the POS to become the biggest failure in American History. I personally am thrilled this health care legislation carries "his" name so both can become synonymous with the biggest disaster that this Country has ever known.

Offline LambChop

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 01:36:48 PM »
I appreciate your comment but I am not sure what you mean by "tax credits" ?  I would honestly like to know the truth about these not-for-profit hospitals and if you can provide any reference material, I would be most appreciative.

I see these Obamacare penalties as just another "in your face" vindictiveness on the part of POS and his administration in achieving their goal to punish as many Americans (businesses) as possible because they do not share the same political ideology nor the same religious beliefs. Just looking forward to "the signature legislation" of the POS to become the biggest failure in American History. I personally am thrilled this health care legislation carries "his" name so both can become synonymous with the biggest disaster that this Country has ever known.

Not-for-profit hospitals are tax exempt.  They pay no taxes on any income because they are supposed to be giving healthcare to those who would otherwise not get it.  In investigations all over the country in the last few years it's been found most of the charity they were supposed to provide just wasn't there.  In a California investigation it was found that many for profit hospitals gave more than not for profit hospitals did.

Here's a couple of stories:

http://www.nationalnursesunited.org/press/entry/new-report-california-non-profit-hospitals-save-billions-while-providing/

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/stories/2012/april/27/charity-care-nonprofit-hospitals-patient-debt.aspx

Although the person in this story doesn't seem to be a responsible adult *who gets pregnant with a 5th child when you're already struggling to feed the 4 before them?* A charity hospital should be just that for people in her predicament, self induced or not

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006-01-25/news/0601250170_1_non-profit-hospitals-illinois-hospital-association-chicago-hospitals

These hospitals claim they administer to the poor, but what they actually do is reap the profit and not pay any taxes.  It's a bunch of horse hooey.

Offline IZZY ANN

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »
Not-for-profit hospitals are tax exempt.  They pay no taxes on any income because they are supposed to be giving healthcare to those who would otherwise not get it.  In investigations all over the country in the last few years it's been found most of the charity they were supposed to provide just wasn't there.  In a California investigation it was found that many for profit hospitals gave more than not for profit hospitals did.

Here's a couple of stories:

http://www.nationalnursesunited.org/press/entry/new-report-california-non-profit-hospitals-save-billions-while-providing/

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/stories/2012/april/27/charity-care-nonprofit-hospitals-patient-debt.aspx

Although the person in this story doesn't seem to be a responsible adult *who gets pregnant with a 5th child when you're already struggling to feed the 4 before them?* A charity hospital should be just that for people in her predicament, self induced or not

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006-01-25/news/0601250170_1_non-profit-hospitals-illinois-hospital-association-chicago-hospitals

These hospitals claim they administer to the poor, but what they actually do is reap the profit and not pay any taxes.  It's a bunch of horse hooey.

Thanks, I will read the links. Yes, I understand the 501(c)(3) tax exemption, just wasn't sure what you meant about "tax credits" (seemed misleading).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf