Author Topic: Dozens Protest ‘Slave Wages’ For Fast-Food Workers In Metro Detroit  (Read 1019 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/12/05/fast-food-workers-strike-for-higher-pay-in-metro-detroit/

Dozens Protest ‘Slave Wages’ For Fast-Food Workers In Metro Detroit
December 5, 2013 7:45 AM

DETROIT (WWJ/AP) - Dozens of demonstrators lined up outside an east side Detroit McDonald’s restaurant in an effort to protest what one man called “slave wages” for fast-food workers.

The protest was just one of many taking place nationwide to raise pay in low-wage sectors to $15 an hour. Workers on Thursday are expected to walk off their jobs in Michigan and across the nation, including McDonald’s, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Subway, Wendy’s, Checkers and KFC. Clergy, elected officials and community supporters are also expected to join workers on the strike lines.

Employees at the McDonald’s restaurant on Connor Street and Mack Avenue said their plan was to “shut the restaurant down” with their walk-off. It didn’t quite work, as cars continued to pass through the drive-up windows while workers outside chanted “Raise the minimum wage” and “Hey, hey, ho, ho, $7.40 has got to go.”

continued......
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Dozens Protest ‘Slave Wages’ For Fast-Food Workers In Metro Detroit
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 01:52:19 pm »
Rent-a-mob protesters get paid to get angry
By Mike Paranzino
NY Post
December 5, 2013 | 12:19am

These are busy — and profitable — times for rent-a-mobs. Just days after Black Friday protests against Walmart stores, many of the same agitators will be out again on Thursday protesting at fast-food restaurants in New York City and across the country.

We’re all supposed to pretend these are “organic” worker “uprisings” against exploitative employers; in fact, they’re all bankrolled by Big Labor and its allies.

At the forefront of this perpetual protest machine is New York’s Restaurant Opportunities Center, the union-founded “worker center” infamous for its protest shakedowns of nonunion restaurants.

ROC and the union-backed OUR Walmart held a joint “political education session” in Miami the week before Thanksgiving, and ROC’s co-director protested on Black Friday with OUR Walmart last year, but the coming fast-food protests fit better with ROC’s restaurant focus.

In fact, ROC pioneered this model: A union front group organizes as a nonprofit “worker center,” which lets it skirt federal labor laws that set reasonable limits on union protests. A novel idea when it launched in New York in 2002, ROC is now one of hundreds of worker centers nationwide, including SEIU-backed groups with names like Fast Food Forward and Fight for 15. ROC itself has expanded to over 30 cities, with reported plans for a new, SEIU-funded chapter in Seattle.

The demonstrations help unions create the illusion of public support for their agenda — to suggest that lots of people are angry enough to protest. In fact, the protesters often get paid.

The National Labor Relations Board has ruled that unions can give out $50 gift cards as enticement to those who join anti-Walmart protests on Black Friday. In Seattle, the SEIU reportedly paid workers $75 to participate in previous fast-food protests, enough for weeks of lunches off the Value Menu.

Of course, having Washington, DC-based unions paying protesters orchestrated by union front groups like ROC certainly undermines the “grassroots” narrative so carefully promoted by these groups. Fast-food workers trying to make ends meet are a sympathetic bunch, but most people start to feel like manipulated suckers when they realize this “movement” is as spontaneous as a scene from the Kardashians.

Multiple congressional investigations are looking into just how smelly it all is. The House Education and the Workforce Committee has demanded that the Labor Department produce the documents it used in determining that ROC should be exempt from labor-law disclosures under the Labor Management Reporting and Disclosure Act. The same committee is separately demanding HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius reveal how ROC managed to get named an ObamaCare navigator in New York. (ROC withdrew as a navigator just days after the program launched.)

And the House Oversight Committee has inquired of the Labor Department why it provided taxpayer funds to ROC despite ROC’s “intimidation of opponents” and “management problems” at its own failed Manhattan restaurant, Colors.

Explaining why he and some other restaurateurs sometimes ally with ROC, Tom Colicchio of Craft (and “Top Chef”) memorably conveyed the ugly truth: “What’s the alternative? Having a 12-foot cockroach in front of your restaurant?”

Fortunately for New Yorkers, Thursday’s protests will likely resemble the August demonstrations by the same cast of characters, and be short and relatively harmless — just long enough for the media to gets its photo-ops and perhaps for the protesters to score their gift cards.

Then ROC can declare a victory for the workers, and New Yorkers can get on with lunch.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 02:28:52 pm »
I wonder how much the unions are paying the idiots to make fools of themselves?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 02:33:16 pm »
DOWNTOWN PITTSBURGH:  Hundreds of protesters calling for an increase in the minimum wage flooded into McDonald's at the corner of Stanwix Street and Liberty Avenue this morning shutting down the restaurant for a period of time.

The protesters had started by shutting down the Dunkin Donuts in Market Square, at 6 a.m. chanting "What do we want? 15 dollars. When do we want it? Now." and "If we don't get it, shut it down."

Both fast food restaurants were unable to serve customers for a period of time, with Dunkin Donuts completely closed for nearly an hour before customers started to line back up for donuts and coffee.

Post Gazette

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 02:50:13 pm »
This is a glaring example of how far we've fallen.

As a 16 year old, working at a fast food place, I understood that:

- Fast food workers made minimum wage because they could be replaced easily, and the job wasn't terribly difficult.

- Fast food worker jobs were not suitable for raising a family. If you were a career fast food worker, you had very major issues.

- A raise in the minimum wage meant a raise in the cost of almost everything.

I knew those things at 16, making $1.40 an hour at Arthur Treacher's. At 16 I was painfully uneducated on economics, but I knew those things. I am filled with sadness and disgust when I see what has happened to us.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 03:08:24 pm »
In ten years, nearly all fast food orders will be entered directly by you, the customer, on a touch screen.  You will pay for it the same way, via debit card. Your order will be prepared by machines. And your order will be delivered to you by a machine.

It's all real, and all possible right now.

Idiot agitation for higher wages for doomed entry-level jobs is par for the course for unions that had outlived their usefulness by 1960.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:09:27 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 03:12:00 pm »
Now, it's all about the acquisition of power – not the welfare of workers.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 03:13:17 pm »

- Fast food workers made minimum wage because they could be replaced easily, and the job wasn't terribly difficult.

- Fast food worker jobs were not suitable for raising a family. If you were a career fast food worker, you had very major issues.

I knew those things at 16, making $1.40 an hour at Arthur Treacher's. At 16 I was painfully uneducated on economics, but I knew those things. I am filled with sadness and disgust when I see what has happened to us.
I earned $1.62 per hour working for campus dining when I was in college and was fully aware that was not going to be my career nor lot in life forever. These protesters are SEIU plants (see NY Post story, above) doing BHO's "share the wealth" bidding.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 04:01:50 pm »

Wow, you sure made a lot!  I got $1.25 working on a ranch, doing things that I'm sure the kids these days would not be caught dead doing. LOL

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 04:12:02 pm »
Let's point out a rather inconvenient truth here:  This is Detroit where the black leadership in City Government has made a career out of chasing any and every business out of town.  There aren't any other jobs because if the locals didn't loot it outright, they burned it to the ground.  Nobody is going to open a business in a town that has regressed into outright savagery like Detroit has. 

The place to watch next??  The entire State of Illinois led by the City of Chicago.  They are in the worst financial condition in the Country after Detroit, but there is not legal precedent for an entire State to declare bankruptcy.

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 06:03:55 pm »
In ten years, nearly all fast food orders will be entered directly by you, the customer, on a touch screen.  You will pay for it the same way, via debit card. Your order will be prepared by machines. And your order will be delivered to you by a machine.

It's all real, and all possible right now.

Idiot agitation for higher wages for doomed entry-level jobs is par for the course for unions that had outlived their usefulness by 1960.
I just read a article yesterday, I forget the restaurants name but, they are going with the computer at each table now.

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 06:06:37 pm »
Study: Union-Backed Fast Food Proposal Could Cost Half a Million Jobs

http://freebeacon.com/study-union-backed-fast-food-proposal-could-cost-half-a-million-jobs/

Hourly wage increases advocated by labor groups could kill more than 450,000 jobs, according to a new report.

Union-backed labor groups, including Fast Food Forward and Fight for 15, are staging nationwide walk-outs and demonstrations at fast food chains across the country calling for starting wages of $15 per hour.

Their success could spell economic disaster for nearly 20 percent of the nation’s 2.5 million fast food workers, according to an analysis from the Employment Policies Institute.

“We find that roughly 460,000 jobs would be lost in the fast food industry as a consequence of a $15 minimum wage,” the EPI report found. “This is a conservative estimate because it only includes employment loss among those who hold a fast food job as their primary employment. Including those who work in the industry as a second job would increase the estimates.”

The group estimated that employment falls 3 percent for every 10 percent increase in labor costs. The $15 wage is more than double the federal minimum wage of $7.25—and nearly 50 percent higher than the $10.10 wage proposed by congressional Democrats.

EPI warned that the doubling of wages would lead the restaurants to “replace jobs with less costly, automated alternatives—including self-service ordering kiosks and even automatic burger makers.”

“These fast food protestors can either have a $15 minimum wage, or they can have the same number of jobs in the restaurant industry. But they can’t have both,” EPI spokesman Michael Saltsman said.

Protesters are expected to demonstrate in front of more than 100 restaurants nationwide, including McDonald’s, Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut, Domino’s, Papa John’s, and Subway. The fast food movement has earned the support of other liberal groups.

“It’s time to pay your workers $15 an hour so they can make ends meet and Americans can stop paying for the hidden costs of poverty wages,” MoveOn.org says in an online petition signed by nearly 50,000 people as of Wednesday afternoon.

MoveOn.org held demonstrations in New York City on Wednesday to support the movement and put further pressure on businesses to adopt the wage hikes.

The liberal rabble-rousers may have been better off picking a different location, according to EPI. New York is expected to lose more than 23,600 jobs if the $15 wage goes into effect, trailing only Texas and California, which combine for nearly 100,000 lost jobs.

“Just over one-third of those lost jobs would be concentrated in five states: California, New York, Texas, Florida, and Pennsylvania,” the report found.

Fast Food Forward and Fight for 15 expect thousands of protesters, many of whom critics say are not actual fast food employees, to attend Thursday’s protests.

“Just like the recent Walmart protests, today’s strikes are a great example of labor’s desperation: Faced with declining numbers, they’re trying to create the appearance of grassroots support at businesses where employees plainly have no interest in joining a union,” Saltsman said.

bold type mine

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 06:16:35 pm »
I just read a article yesterday, I forget the restaurants name but, they are going with the computer at each table now.
Found it..Applebees

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,122095.msg494983.html#new

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 06:35:03 pm »
Found it..Applebees

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,122095.msg494983.html#new

I'm not surprised. I have already been to a couple of places that had iPads at the table, with which you can order drinks, food, or call your server.

The problem we have (as I wrote yesterday) is not jobs that are low-paid and slowly vanishing, but the "new" jobs that have never been created, thanks to high barriers to entry, largely in the form of taxes and regulations.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 07:33:03 pm »
Clergy, elected officials and community supporters are also expected to join workers on the strike lines.

I wonder why these clergy, elected officials, and community supporters aren't telling the workers that they will earn more from the business if they provide more value to the business;  that knowledge and skill will make them more valuable and that they gain knowledge and skill through hard work and study.  Drop out of school or eschew education after high school and you'll most likely be of little value on the job market.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".