Author Topic: Could a LASER zap away Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and even CJD?  (Read 1424 times)

Offline happyg

Could a LASER zap away Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and even CJD?
« on: November 05, 2013, 01:03:44 am »
It's possible to distinguish the clumps of proteins believed to cause the diseases from well-functioning proteins by using a laser imaging technique
If these clumps are removed, the disease is effectively cured
The laser technique could now offer a means of removing the lumps without surgery or the toxic chemicals currently used

By Emma Innes

Lasers could be used to cure diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, a new study suggests.

Researchers say they have made a discovery that may allow them to eradicate Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease using light therapy.

Swedish and Polish scientists have discovered it is possible to distinguish clumps of the proteins believed to cause the diseases from the well-functioning proteins in the body by using a laser imaging technique.

Lasers could be used to cure diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, a new study suggests Lasers could be used to cure diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, a new study suggests

Dr Piotr Hanczyc, of Chalmers University of Technology, in Sweden, said: ‘Nobody has talked about using only light to treat these diseases until now.

‘This is a totally new approach and we believe that this might become a breakthrough in the research of diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

‘We have found a totally new way of discovering these structures using just laser light.’
If the protein clumps are removed, the disease is, in principle, cured. The problem until now has been detecting and removing the clumps.
 More...New drug to relieve Parkinson's psychosis: Breakthrough could offer better quality of life for thousands who suffer hallucinations
Deaths from prostate cancer fall by 20% in 20 years thanks to better treatment

The researchers now have high hopes that light technique, which is already used for scans such as CT scans, may be used to remove the malfunctioning proteins.

Today amyloid protein clumps are treated with chemicals, both for detection as well as removal. These chemicals are highly toxic and harmful for those treated.

With the use of a laser, the chemical treatment would be unnecessary, as would surgery.

Researchers say they have made a discovery that may allow them to eradicate Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease (pictured) and Creutzfeldt-Jakob, or mad cow, disease using light therapy

Due to this discovery, it might even be possible to remove the harmful protein without touching the surrounding tissue.

These diseases arise when amyloid beta proteins are clumped in large lumps so they start to inhibit proper cellular processes.

Dr Hanczyc said: ‘Different proteins create different kinds of amyloids, but they generally have the same structure.

‘This makes them different from the well-functioning proteins in the body, which can now be shown by multi photon laser technique.’

The findings were published in the journal Nature Photonics.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2487249/Could-LASER-zap-away-Alzheimers-Parkinsons-CJD.html#ixzz2jjF6TvT6

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Could a LASER zap away Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and even CJD?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:46:41 am »
I hope this is a cure.  Both of my parents have Alzheimer's disease, although it's probably too late for them. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 02:01:59 am »
WOW.....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 02:21:43 am »
WOW.....

Double WOW! Alzheimer's runs in my husband's family, and I worry about his kids and grandkids. Imagine the thousands, or millions of people who might be zapped back to life. Just thinking about the possibility is making me shake.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 02:41:30 pm »
Are senility and Alzheimer's synonymous?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 02:48:05 pm »
If you're not an 'active' taxpayer....if you're living on social security checks...guess what?

There is no laser going to turned on for you!

....unless you're a close friend of the ruling class.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 02:06:35 pm »
An injection to treat Alzheimer's could be available 'within 5 years'
Published December 05, 2013
Sky News via FOX News

A drug could provide a breakthrough for Alzheimer's disease within the next five years, U.K. scientists say.

People aged 55 to 90 are currently being recruited to a final-stage study in the U.S., which will examine if the drug solanezumab slows the cognitive and functional decline of people with mild Alzheimer's.

Previous trials of the drug - made by pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly - have shown no effect in people with later stages of the disease, but researchers found it had an effect on daily behavior and functioning of brain and memory in people with earlier-stage disease.

In the new trial, people will be given solanezumab as a monthly 400 mg injection for 18 months.

The trial is expected to end in December 2016.

Dr Eric Karran, director of research at Alzheimer's Research UK, said scientists were 'full of hope' that a breakthrough could come within five years.

He said the results may suggest that monthly injections should be given early to ward off the disease - in the same way that people take statins to prevent heart disease.

Karran said the drug had been shown to have a 'reasonable' effect in people with mild Alzheimer's and results would come within five years.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 02:19:28 pm »
I hope researchers come up with something fast. Younger and younger people are getting the horrid disease. Nursing homes are filled with dementia patients. My husband's aunt, a nun, died from the disease, and he followed her 20 years later. His sons are worried they might get it, too. I have an aunt in a nursing home now, so anyone is susceptible to the disease.

I believe when they find something to cure or fend off Alzheimer's, other mental diseases will benefit, too.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 02:30:14 pm »
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has been running a series on a local man, a former airline pilot, with early-onset Alzheimers. The most recent installment described behaviors in him - falling down, inabilty to sit or get into a car -  that sounded exactly like the last year of my father's life. Very sad.

We donated my father's brain for research and were told that what he had wasn't a hereditary form of the disease. I guess we'll find out soon enough.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 04:50:01 pm »
That's a very good article, and I saw my husband in it. The last paragraph in the article could have been written by me:

"He's a shell, and the sad thing about this disease is you never really get the chance to say goodbye. When they're still good, you don't say goodbye because they're still able to understand what's going on. And then one day they don't understand anymore, and you don't get the chance to say goodbye. ...

"It's like seeing a loved one in an open casket."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2013/12/01/Alzheimer-s-insidious-slide/stories/201312010074#ixzz2mcUfcwYa

For most of us, it's like watching our spouses die...twice.