Author Topic: Harvard Poll: US youth unhappy with Obama's job performance  (Read 786 times)

rangerrebew

Harvard Poll: US youth unhappy with Obama's job performance
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:21:28 pm »
Newsmax

Harvard Poll: US Youth Unhappy with Obama's Job Performance

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 10:25 AM

Young Americans are unhappy with virtually every major thing President Barack Obama has done since he was re-elected, and those under 24 would vote to recall him if given the chance today, according to the results of a Harvard University survey released on Wednesday.

The national poll by Harvard's Institute of Politics of more than 2,000 people aged 18 through 29 is intended to provide insight into the political views of the youngest U.S. voters, an increasingly influential demographic known as the "millennial generation."

Urgent:  Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

Story continues below video.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

More than half the respondents in the survey, taken between Oct. 30 and Nov. 11, said they disapproved of how Obama handled key issues in his second term, including Syria, Iran, the economy, healthcare, and the federal budget deficit.

The poll also shows 52 percent of those between the ages of 18 and 24 say they would vote to recall Obama. Among young people 18-29, the number is 47 percent.

"Millennials, which are the backbone of his support which helped to elect him and re-elect him, now look like the rest of the population when it comes to approval ratings," said Trey Grayson, director of the Harvard Institute of Politics.

Grayson pointed out that there appears to be a split among millennials. Among the findings, 18-24-year-olds indicate they are less supportive of the president and more politically conservative than 25-29-year-olds, a position, he said, that has hardened in recent years and could be a "permanent feature" of this generation.

A plurality of the survey's respondents, 46 percent, said they still would vote for Obama  if they could recast their 2012 ballots, compared with 35 percent who said they would vote for Republican candidate Mitt Romney.

Some 55 percent of the survey respondents who reported voting in the 2012 presidential election said they had voted for Obama, compared with 33 percent for Romney.

The results follow a CNN/ORC poll released on Nov. 25 that showed a growing number of Americans doubted Obama's ability to manage the nation, amid ongoing problems plaguing the rollout of Obamacare.

Obama's administration also has come under fire from critics at home and abroad who claim it is dealing poorly with the Syrian government over its alleged use of chemical weapons and with Iran over its nuclear ambitions. They also say the administration has failed to rein in public spending or revive the economy.

Some 57 percent of respondents in the Harvard poll said they disapprove of Obamacare, with 40 percent expecting the quality of healthcare to worsen and about half expecting healthcare costs to rise.

The Harvard survey respondents spread the blame for Washington's shortcomings beyond Obama and the Democratic party. In terms of job performance, 54 percent said they disapproved of the president, 59 percent disapproved of Democrats in Congress, and a whopping 75 percent disapproved of Republicans in Congress.

Conservative Republicans took a hard line in the fight over October's government shutdown, which was waged over the party's demands to stop the launch of Obamacare. But delays in pay to some public workers, closings of national parks, and reductions in public services only deepened Americans' frustration.

Asked which proposals they would prefer to see enacted to cut the federal deficit, respondents tended to favor increasing taxes for the wealthy and cutting certain types of military spending — including on the nuclear arsenal and the size of the Navy fleet.

Seventy-nine percent of millennials said that student debt is a problem for young people in the U.S., with 57 percent saying it's a major problem. Meanwhile, 70 percent said financial circumstances played an important role in their decisions as to whether to pursue a college education.

More than 70 percent also said they would prefer to see no cuts to education spending on kindergarten through high school, the poll showed.

Related:

•Read the Full Report

•Read the Executive Summary (PDF)

http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/harvard-poll-youth-unhappy/2013/12/04/id/539941?promo_code=10E2A-1&utm_source=10E2AWaznmentobe&utm_medium=nmwidget&utm_campaign=widgetphase1

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 07:22:09 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline happyg

Re: Harvard Poll: US youth unhappy with Obama's job performance
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:50:35 pm »
Every young person I come in contact with hate Obama for what he is doing to them. They already were upset that they were being taxed for Medicare, knowing they would never use it, and now this! To them, ACA is the ultimate pyramid scheme. They are po'd!

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 02:03:29 pm »
Every young person I come in contact with hate Obama for what he is doing to them. They already were upset that they were being taxed for Medicare, knowing they would never use it, and now this! To them, ACA is the ultimate pyramid scheme. They are po'd!

We "mature" people aren't so enthralled with him either. **nononono*

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 07:13:40 pm »

Obama is counting on the young adults to pay in with their higher premiums for Obamacare – but  use few of the benefits which those in that age bracket are not likely to do. So they are contributing to the health care being used by older people who make more money than they do – hell yea they should be angry about that.  They are being treated in the same way as they are for car insurance where the younger you are the higher premium you pay - because of their accident rate. But Health Care is not like that. The younger you are the less likely you are to need to see a Doctor regularly, so your premiums should be lower. 

If I was a Millennium I would be asking Obama this:
You want me to pay a higher premium than others – but you don’t want me to see a Doctor? 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:17:50 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 07:35:35 pm »
The Republicans need to get off their duff and give this 20 something demographic hope to latch on to.   It is a huge voting bloc that must not be ignored.    And that starts with reviving the campaign slogan repeal and replace. And this time have a real comprehensive Plan to offer not just a bunch memorized one liners like Tort reform and allowing insurance companies to see across state lines. Those are important elements, but they are not going to get anyone to stand up and take notice.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 07:48:16 pm »
The Republicans need to get off their duff and give this 20 something demographic hope to latch on to.   It is a huge voting bloc that must not be ignored.    And that starts with reviving the campaign slogan repeal and replace. And this time have a real comprehensive Plan to offer not just a bunch memorized one liners like Tort reform and allowing insurance companies to see across state lines. Those are important elements, but they are not going to get anyone to stand up and take notice.

:amen:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 08:19:40 pm »
I honestly think the old gang running the GOPe are clueless about young voters - basically clueless how any of us think, it is dismaying how insular they have become in the comfortable pocket of K-Street.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

rangerrebew

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 09:47:00 pm »
I honestly think the old gang running the GOPe are clueless about young voters - basically clueless how any of us think, it is dismaying how insular they have become in the comfortable pocket of K-Street.

I also don't believe they want to come up with their Obamacare version because they are aware that nothing the government does will make it work.  Plus, they don't want to work that hard. :thud:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 04:30:53 am »
Obama is counting on the young adults to pay in with their higher premiums for Obamacare – but  use few of the benefits which those in that age bracket are not likely to do. So they are contributing to the health care being used by older people who make more money than they do – hell yea they should be angry about that.  They are being treated in the same way as they are for car insurance where the younger you are the higher premium you pay - because of their accident rate. But Health Care is not like that. The younger you are the less likely you are to need to see a Doctor regularly, so your premiums should be lower. 

If I was a Millennium I would be asking Obama this:
You want me to pay a higher premium than others – but you don’t want me to see a Doctor?

I only know of one young person (he's 20) who is pleased with Obamacare. Then again, he's out on his own, has a debilitating disease (MS) and can finally get treatment. The rest of them are livid about Obamacare.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink