Author Topic: Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House  (Read 912 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
« on: December 04, 2013, 02:35:05 pm »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/3/boehner-legalization-advocate-advise-immigration/print/

By Stephen Dinan

-

The Washington Times

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

House Speaker John A. Boehner announced Tuesday that he has hired a longtime advocate of legalizing illegal immigrants to be an adviser, signaling that the Republican is still intent on trying to pass an immigration bill during this congressional session.

Immigrant rights advocates cheered the move as a sign of Mr. Boehner's dedication to action. Those who want a crackdown on illegal immigration said the top Republican in the House has moved closer to embracing amnesty by hiring Rebecca Tallent, a former staffer for Sen. John McCain and fellow Arizona Republican Jim Kolbe.

"Tallent's hiring suggests he really does still want to push an amnesty through the House, which to me suggests that the immigration hawks still have their work cut out for them," said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies. "She is a professional amnesty advocate."

Ms. Tallent is leaving a job as immigration policy director for the Bipartisan Policy Center and will join Mr. Boehner's staff Wednesday, putting her in the center of one of the thorniest issues in Congress.

Mr. Boehner has become a key figure in the immigration debate. He faces immense pressure from immigrant rights activists who want legalization and from House Republicans who are warning him not to pursue legalization until the border is more secure.

Mr. Boehner has faced prayer vigils and protests from immigration rights activists at his home. In Congress, some Republicans have suggested that his speakership could be in jeopardy if he tries to pass legislation granting illegal immigrants a pathway to citizenship.

The Ohio Republican has said he is committed to acting on the issue but has rejected Senate Democrats' approach of a broad bill combining security, legalization and a rewrite of the immigration system.

"The speaker remains hopeful that we can enact step-by-step, common-sense immigration reforms — the kind of reforms the American people understand and support," spokesman Michael Steel said. "Becky Tallent, a well-known expert in this field of public policy, is a great addition to our team and that effort."

But in a city where personnel moves are watched as key policy signals, both sides saw Ms. Tallent's hiring as an indication of where Mr. Boehner wants the immigration debate to go.

She has been involved in writing a number of broad legalization bills, including one for Mr. Kolbe and two for Mr. McCain in the past decade. She was also a senior policy adviser during Mr. McCain's failed 2008 presidential campaign, which included traveling as a domestic policy adviser for vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin.

Mr. Boehner appeared to have nailed the door shut on immigration last month when he said he wouldn't enter into negotiations on the Senate bill.

But Democratic leaders and President Obama appeared to move in Mr. Boehner's direction, saying they would be open to the speaker's approach of dividing immigration reform into separate bills. It's still unclear whether all of the bills would have to pass at about the same time or whether Republicans would win border security legislation first.

Mr. Krikorian said he still thinks the chances of a final bill reaching Mr. Obama's desk next year are slim but that Mr. Boehner's hiring decision is worrisome.

"Basically what that means is that the person who ran John McCain's amnesty push last time is now running amnesty for Speaker Boehner," he said.

Immigration rights activists warn Republicans that they must take action or face a political backlash, particularly in the 2016 presidential election.

"If Republicans want to broaden their appeal to diverse voters — really, any American who expects leaders to lead and solve problems — they need to talk less and do more," said Lynn Tramonte, deputy director of America's Voice.

House Democrats say passing immigration reform could rescue a year devoid of other major accomplishments.

Ms. Tallent didn't return a call seeking comment Tuesday.

Ana Navarro, who worked with Ms. Tallent on the 2008 McCain presidential campaign and who has pushed Republicans to tackle immigration reform, said hiring Ms. Tallent was a smart move for Mr. Boehner.

"It tells me that he's looking to find solutions to some of the complex issues," she said. "You don't hire Becky Tallent if you don't want to get something done. If all you want to do is kick the can down the road and just talk about the issue, you don't hire Becky Tallent. If you want to solve the issue, you hire Becky Tallent to work with you."

Ms. Tallent is a native of Tucson, Ariz., and Ms. Navaro said her knowledge of border issues will help House Republicans as they try to craft legislation.

"She brings a particular sensitivity to the border issues, to the immigration issues. She's pragmatic," Ms. Navaro said.

Bipartisan Policy Center President Jason Grumet said Ms. Tallent's experience will help her sift through the issues and find something that will work.

"The House is going to continue to chart its own course on immigration reform. Becky understands the issues — both those that should be on the table and those that have derailed past reform efforts," Mr. Grumet said in a statement.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline MBB1984

Re: Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:10:36 pm »
Obama is on the ropes, the 'rat politicians are reeling about mid-term elections and what does Boehner do?  He hands Obama a salvation lifeline, and gives the leftists a crowning accomplishment to the detriment of our Nation.  Why would any Republican leader want to divide the GOP at this time?   Why would any Republican leader want to give leftists a primary goal and achievement and create millions of new leftist voters? 

A better question is:  Why should I continue to vote Republican?   Pass amnesty and nothing the GOP pretends to desire matter.  It is all lost.  Pass amnesty and we lose it ALL.

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:29:27 pm »
Yep pass amnesty and it is over for this country.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:59:27 pm »
Obama is on the ropes, the 'rat politicians are reeling about mid-term elections and what does Boehner do?  He hands Obama a salvation lifeline, and gives the leftists a crowning accomplishment to the detriment of our Nation.  Why would any Republican leader want to divide the GOP at this time?   Why would any Republican leader want to give leftists a primary goal and achievement and create millions of new leftist voters? 

A better question is:  Why should I continue to vote Republican?   Pass amnesty and nothing the GOP pretends to desire matter.  It is all lost.  Pass amnesty and we lose it ALL.

Amazingly stupid.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 10:11:29 pm »

Amazingly stupid.

Yes but there is another reason they are doing this! Big time donors of campaign cash like David Weekly, who benefit greatly from immigrant labor,  are demanding it! We are going to find out REAL soon who really represents us and who represents the money!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline happyg

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 10:41:58 pm »

Amazingly stupid.

No kidding! I had a feeling the republicans would blow it. The race is their to lose, and they are trying their best to lose it to the highest bidder.

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 11:47:50 pm »
I truly hate this. If they get this  you can stick a fork in this country for decades

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 12:14:25 am »
There is a reason the GOP is called the Stupid Party.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:43:47 am »

http://www.hark.com/clips/jmdnnhjlqp-checkmate

I really did not see this coming.  I thought it was dead.  It could be Boehner is shopping for a deal from Obama, or it could be that the polls are showing the do nothing congress attack by the rats is working.  I can't think of much else of importance the GOP could get through Reid's Senate before the elections.

But isn't this the final nail.  The GOPe stopped Cruz from ending Obamacare.  They caved on the nuclear option.  They are actively protecting RINOs like McConnell and Alexander.  They attack conservative organizations like the SCF and freedomworks.  It is long past time conservatives carved out their own 4-5% niche of the voting pool.  I had hoped conservatives could work with RINOs to save the party of Lincoln but now I believe it maybe time for a trial separation.

Clearly the GOPe believes so.  They brazzenly passed amnesty in the Senate with 25 RINO Senators last summer.  Last Jan even Toomey and Johnson voted for the infamous fake New Year’s Day 2013 fiscal cliff crisis deal that raised taxes on 77 percent of U.S. households and contained no real spending cuts.  Only 5 Republicans voted nay on that.

And then the shutdown.  Conservatives feel betrayed and the GOPe feels betrayed.  From my point of veiw we let Cruz take control of the Senate for over 2 weeks and waited for the conservative majority in America to rise up and demand the end of Obamacare and it didn't happen.  But more amazing Cruz had no back up plan when RINOs got scared.  He didn't know who he was leading.  That's kinda dumb.

Much like the Chamber of Congress and the National Retail Federation, I just don't think our partnership in the party is beneficial anymore for either of us.  Time to cut our losses.  I think the GOPe can more easily capture a majority by making offerings to the centrists.  The bonus is for every centrist rat voter we pick off it adds one to the GOP tally and takes one away from the rats.  If we struggle against the constitutional constraints of only having a majority in the US House, and miraculously bend the fabric of reality and repeal Obamacare without the Presidency or the Senate, and earn one conservative vote it it only adds one vote.

The good news is the GOPe can get back to doing what they love like winning elections, and the conservative wing can get back to arguing the constitution safely out of harms way.

I think now could be the time for the great conservative self purge, it will make it much easier for the GOP to pander to moderates.

I figure conservatives will want Cruz, Fischer, Lee, Paul, and Scott.  We'll take all the RINO's you reject.  Good luck, and don't forget to write.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 02:16:03 am »
A new poll out tonight breaking down Obama's numbers by category.... 60% of Americans are against Obama's Immigration positions.  If 60% of the nation is against what the President is doing why on Gods green earth would the GOP commit suicide and join him!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 04:12:33 am »
[[ A better question is:  Why should I continue to vote Republican?   Pass amnesty and nothing the GOP pretends to desire matter.  It is all lost.  Pass amnesty and we lose it ALL. ]]

Complete agreement.

If the Pubbies allow amnesty to go through, I think I'll just sit elections out for a while.

As a matter of fact, I didn't even bother to vote last month (even though it was only for local candidates) -- was visiting a friend now confined to a nursing home out-of-state. Better use of my time.

My refusal to vote for the Republicans DOES NOT mean I will be voting for the democrats, ever.

But I'm tired of wasting my vote on losers.
And as of late, the Republicans seem to be demonstratin' just how much they can lose.
If they keep goin' the way they're goin', they just may not stop until they've lost the entire country !!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:16:00 am by Fishrrman »