Author Topic: RNC chair: ‘Of course’ I’m supporting McConnell  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

RNC chair: ‘Of course’ I’m supporting McConnell
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:37:30 am »
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/03/rnc-chair-of-course-im-supporting-mcconnell/

Washington (CNN) - The head of the Republican National Committee waved off any suggestion he might not rally behind Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell in his bid for reelection.

"Of course I'm going to support the leader of the Republican Party," Reince Priebus told the panel on CNN's "Crossfire" on Tuesday.

Asked by host Stephanie Cutter if he would defect from the Kentucky lawmaker’s camp, Priebus did not give any indication that abdication from the longtime establishment Republican's corner was on the table.

<snip background info>

Despite the flux of intraparty warfare, Priebus insisted that Republicans still have a "huge opportunity" to take back the Senate in 2014. He also tried to dispel the notion that all primary challenges are a negative.

"Our party has always had a lot of primaries," Priebus said. "

"When I came out of Wisconsin, Scott Walker was ‘primaried’ by a Congressman named Mark Neumann," the RNC chair added. "Ron Johnson was ‘primaried’ by about three other Republicans that were running. But the cream rose to the top. Scott Walker won. Ron Johnson won. And it works."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I got mad love for the Chairman, but Walker and Johnson were not primaried as sitting office holders.  They were both competing for seats previously held by rats.  Bevin is taking on a sitting Republican as are the other Tea Party challengers.  This isn't business as usual, and no amount of spin can make this an advantagous turn for the GOPe.  It will waste money and time that could be spent defeating rats.

Fortunately it appears like it will waste less money and time than it once seemed.  It was only last year that the  U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and the National Federation of Independent Business were supporting Tea Party candidates.  But not after the shutdown.

I thought it was odd that McConnell was letting Cruz take control of the Senate.  I'm beginning to think maybe he was giving the Tea Party enough rope to hang themselves.  It was a real eye opener to GOP business interests, but strangely almost didn't happen. 

If Cruz had been able to keep a shutdown going long enough for millions of Americans to get their healthcare cancellation notices he might have succeeded in grabbing all the political capital from Obamacare's downfall adding to the Tea Party support.

If Cruz had been stopped by McConnell from the start then the Chamber and NFIB might not have turned on the Tea Party.

As it was the shutdown lasted just the right amount of time for maximum Tea Party reputation damage.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: RNC chair: ‘Of course’ I’m supporting McConnell
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 01:14:24 pm »
Reince, Fail, Repeat.......

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 02:17:34 pm »
Its pretty telling when a GOP elitist posts opinion pieces propping up the GOPe over the Tea Party---- from a CNN political columnist.    :laugh:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 05:14:44 am »
Its pretty telling when a GOP elitist posts opinion pieces propping up the GOPe over the Tea Party---- from a CNN political columnist.    :laugh:
The quote was off CNN's Crossfire show.  not a lot other outlets cover that show.  What did you find so offensively biased about it?  Do you dispute that the Chairman is supporting McConnell?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 06:55:15 pm »
{quote] "Of course I'm going to support the leader of the Republican Party," Reince Priebus told the panel on CNN's "Crossfire on Tuesday.[/quote]

I hope he was speaking for himself only as it would be a gross violation of party rules for the party to take a position in a contested primary race!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 07:05:29 pm »

So now supporters of McConnell on GOPBR are "elitists."  That makes Rand Paul an "elitist" and every other Republican Senator who supports McConnell.  I guess supporting Cornyn is "elitist" too.

You Tea Partiers continue to walk further and further out on that limb.................
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 07:06:13 pm »
The quote was off CNN's Crossfire show.  not a lot other outlets cover that show.  What did you find so offensively biased about it?  Do you dispute that the Chairman is supporting McConnell?

We're "elitists", don't you know. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 07:08:30 pm »
{quote] "Of course I'm going to support the leader of the Republican Party," Reince Priebus told the panel on CNN's "Crossfire on Tuesday.

I hope he was speaking for himself only as it would be a gross violation of party rules for the party to take a position in a contested primary race!

There is no one who speaks for the Republican Party.  Priebus can support whomever he wishes, just as Rand Paul can  and you can and I can.

The head of the RNC typically supports all incumbents.  Priebus' position is not unusual at all.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 07:23:21 pm »
The position of  RNC Chair IS an office to which someone is elected to BE the spokesman of the Republican party. That person can support whomever he wishes in a contested primary race privately but cannot do so publicly per party rules!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 07:23:27 pm »
You, you, you ... you tea partiers, you!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 07:25:51 pm »
You, you, you ... you tea partiers, you!

Sad isn't it??? ;>)

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 07:29:44 pm »
I'm not sure what some would have had Priebus say.  The essence of his comments are that he supports an incumbent but also primary challenges.  Well, THERE is something I can get all worked up about, isn't it?  Oh, I'm sure others see nefarious messaging.

Parse every word if you like.  Me?  No.

Not with this one at least.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Olivia

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 07:31:54 pm »
Our country is in the shape it's in because these old fossils that run the republican party can't compete with the Obama crowd.
The younger republicans have a lot of fire in their gut and they aren't afraid to take on the democrats.   
McConnell, McCain, Graham...they should all realize it's time to turn over the reins.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 07:35:10 pm »
Our country is in the shape it's in because these old fossils that run the republican party can't compete with the Obama crowd.
The younger republicans have a lot of fire in their gut and they aren't afraid to take on the democrats.   
McConnell, McCain, Graham...they should all realize it's time to turn over the reins.

Yes they should! But they will not because power is like crack cocaine to them! They just HAVE to have it no matter what!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:35:33 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 07:40:54 pm »
I'm not sure what some would have had Priebus say.  The essence of his comments are that he supports an incumbent but also primary challenges.  Well, THERE is something I can get all worked up about, isn't it?  Oh, I'm sure others see nefarious messaging.

Parse every word if you like.  Me?  No.

Not with this one at least.

The proper thing for him to have said was "As chairman of the party I am bound by party rules to remain neutral in contested primary races." and ended it right there!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 08:24:51 pm »
The proper thing for him to have said was "As chairman of the party I am bound by party rules to remain neutral in contested primary races." and ended it right there!

Exactly!!!!!!!!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 09:26:33 pm »
What he said was perfectly fine.  He endorsed the system, not a specific candidate.
John Steinbeck

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 09:37:54 pm »
What? He endorsed the system, not a specific candidate.

"Of course I'm going to support the leader of the Republican Party," Reince Priebus told the panel on CNN's "Crossfire" on Tuesday.

That "leader" is McConnell.
The head of the Republican National Committee waved off any suggestion he might not rally behind Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell in his bid for reelection
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 09:52:03 pm »
Now that is an intelligent way of looking at things. It doesn't resort to the popular chorus, of "GOPe" and so forth.

My congressman is very conservative, and has chosen to not label himself "Tea Party." There are ONLY 48 House and 5 Senate members of the TP Caucus, so there ARRE a lot of other good conservatives, also choosing to not be labeled Tea Party.

Why would they choose that path? I'll submit it is partly due to the goofball image which a few have obtained for their loose lips. Justifiably.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 02:29:09 am »
C'mon Lipstick... I don't want to see our forum degrade to that.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 02:41:53 am »
I'll lie awake worrying about what don't want to see tonight, Lando.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 02:48:32 am »

To who?  To a witch and a couple of dopes who thought somehow rape could be justifiable? 

How about to a Senator who actually thinks a president of the opposing party would sign a bill to defund the signal achievement of his presidency? 

Until these "fire in the gut" Republicans prove they won't embarrass the hell out of the conservative movement, I'll stick with the old guys.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 03:03:36 am »
I removed both posts...and no sink I don't stick up for all the *broads* around here....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 03:34:46 am »
I'll lie awake worrying about what don't want to see tonight, Lando.

Thank you
John Steinbeck

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 03:36:47 am »
I certainly hope we can get all of this internecine "squabbling" over with soon, because the last thing we need in 2014 is a circular firing squad.