Author Topic: Hard Sell:Going door-to-door for Obamacare  (Read 366 times)

SPQR

Hard Sell:Going door-to-door for Obamacare
« on: December 04, 2013, 02:48:09 AM »

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Hard Sell:Going door-to-door for Obamacare
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 02:56:27 AM »
OMG... I don't know whether to laugh or to cry..........

Great post SPQR

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 02:58:14 AM »
OMG... I don't know whether to laugh or to cry..........

Great post SPQR

Thanks

:beer:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 03:04:23 AM »
Thanks

:beer:

My very first job out of high school and before college was selling encyclopedia's door-to-door.  They ALWAYS took you to the poor neighborhoods to sell.. I sold three sets the first day - in 1963 $35 pay per set x 3 sets I thought I was doing great, but after a couple of days seeing how poor these people were I pretty much gave up - not beause I couldn't sell to them (I was actually quite good at it), but because I have a conscious and seeing how poor these people were I kept thinking "they don't need encyclopedia's - they need clothes, furniture, etc." and I quit, went to work for a major company for a whopping $1.72 an hour - quite a drop in daily take home, but I slept much better at night and it gave me incentive to work hard and get ahead. 

As I read this article I was reminded of how much these people sounded like people I met during those days of selling door-to-door...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 03:25:09 AM »
That was bleeping superb!

Perfectly balanced - and if you need a navigator, make sure you ask for Blade Sharpe!!  :silly:

Rap - just a thought here:

We were dirt poor when I was growing up. Mom and Dad still bought a set of encyclopedias, scrambled the money together somehow. Two in fact - one general and one purely on science. We ate lean for a month or so, but they gave us years of pleasure. We'd read an entry then discuss it around the dinner table. The science set is on the bookcase immediately to my right (sis got the general set) and that is still done even now.
Yeah, it's hard to sell something to people with little money and less hope. But people willing to spring for books tend to be the people that use them.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf