Author Topic: College lacrosse player, 18, has lower part of both legs amputated after meningitis outbreak at California college  (Read 754 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2517483/College-lacrosse-player-18-lower-legs-amputated-meningitis-outbreak-California-college.html

Undergrad student Aaron Loy, 18, from Carlsbad, had the lower part of both legs amputated after severe complications from the bacterial disease
    He became ill in November along with three other undergraduate students at the University of California, Santa Barbara
    Loy, who was on the freshman lacrosse team, almost lost his life to the disease
    Preventive antibiotics given to more than 500 students who had close contact with the infected students
    The outbreak comes less than two weeks after seven cases of meningitis occurred on Princeton University's college campus in New Jersey
    The most common symptoms of meningitis are fever, severe headaches and neck stiffness

What is up with these meningitis outbreaks? It is spread by human waste?

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Geez...if only he'd been on that surf board off Australia..........

:whistle:

Offline Cincinnatus

That's too bad. I feel sorry for that young man.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2517483/College-lacrosse-player-18-lower-legs-amputated-meningitis-outbreak-California-college.html

What is up with these meningitis outbreaks? It is spread by human waste?

Meningitis spreads through close contact which is why college dorms are a perfect breeding ground.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline flowers

Meningitis spreads through close contact which is why college dorms are a perfect breeding ground.
Is this a new occurance in college dorms?

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Is this a new occurance in college dorms?

Nope, not new.  Many universities required meningitis vaccination for new students for years, before states started making it mandatory.  Anytime you get lots of people in close contact, you risk spreading everything from colds to the flu, to worse.  Why else are elementary schools often called germ factories?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:34:03 pm by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline flowers

Nope, not new.  Many universities required meningitis vaccination for new students for years, before states started making it mandatory.  Anytime you get lots of people in close contact, you risk spreading everything from colds to the flu, to worse.  Why else are elementary schools often called germ factories?
OK...thank you for info.

Offline Cincinnatus

Anytime you get lots of people in close contact, you risk spreading everything from colds to the flu, to worse.

When I was in basic at Ft Polk, LA, one of the guys in my barracks was removed due to meningitis. I and my fellows thought nothing of it because we were young and invincible. He was gone for several weeks, returned, and graduated (if that is the correct term) from basic with the rest of us and then went on to regular Army duty. I never saw him again.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams