Author Topic: ‘Bizarre behavior’ could be risk to Christie White House run  (Read 749 times)

Offline mountaineer

‘Bizarre behavior’ could be risk to Christie White House run
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:54:16 pm »
Frederic Dicker, NY Post writes:
Gov. Chris Christie’s “bizarre behavior’’ in refusing to say he’ll support a possible GOP challenger to Gov. Cuomo next year could derail his chances to become president, state and national GOP insiders have told The Post.

“Christie already has a problem with many Republicans refusing to forgive him because of his embrace of [President] Obama and his socially liberal policies,’’ said a nationally prominent GOP operative. “But this bizarre behavior in suggesting he won’t help a Republican defeat a Democratic governor, and a Cuomo no less, could finish off his chances of becoming his party’s nominee for president in 2016,’’ the operative continued.

Cuomo claimed last week that Christie, the new head of the Republican Governors Association — an organization whose purpose is to elect GOP governors — had quickly called him to say The Post was wrong in reporting the New Jersey governor was ready to back Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino, should he become the Republican nominee for governor next year.

“I spoke to Gov. Christie this morning, who told me the exact opposite,’’ Cuomo contended in reference to last week’s “Inside Albany” column.

But Christie spokesman Colin Reed refused to confirm Cuomo’s claim, referring questions to Christie political consultant and longtime GOP operative Mike DuHaime, who likewise refused to comment.

Some close to Astorino said they would be dumbfounded by Cuomo’s claim, since not only is Christie responsible for trying to elect GOP governors, he’s also had longstanding friendly relations with Astorino.

Other Republicans, meanwhile, said they were surprised that Cuomo would disclose what presumably was a private personal phone call from Christie.

“Cuomo has put Christie in a really difficult position,’’ said a prominent GOP operative.

The Post’s report on Christie’s plan to back Astorino was based on sources close to Astorino who were familiar with an hourlong private meeting between Astorino and Christie held last month at the RGA’s annual meeting in Arizona.

After it was published, the report was described as accurate by state GOP Chairman Ed Cox, who attended the RGA gathering.

Democratic insiders say Cuomo and his political aides are engaged in an all-out effort to pressure Astorino not to run for governor next year.

“They’re trying to head off contributors to Astorino, spreading the word that he’s not going to run, trying to convince Republican money people that he doesn’t have a chance, and letting it be known that the governor won’t be happy with those who go with him,’’ said a source close to the state Democratic Committee.

Insiders say Cuomo, who polls show would easily defeat Astorino at this time, fears the popular county executive — who won a landslide re-election last month despite being a conservative in a county where Democrats outnumber Republicans 2-1 — would be a strong enough vote-getter who, even in defeat, could damage Cuomo’s chances to run for president.
Related: Christie Ready to Back Cuomo Challenger
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline olde north church

Re: ‘Bizarre behavior’ could be risk to Christie White House run
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:08:51 pm »
Propaganda only works with a susceptible audience.  It would appear the audience is sufficiently susceptible.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:41:33 pm »
Ah, Fred Dicker. The Clown Prince of the Albany press corps.

Keep in mind that Dicker was the ultimate Cuomo sycophant in 2010.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 08:00:59 pm »
When Christie refused to help Cuchinelli everyone said - well he was busy running his own race, now he is refusing to help a conservative running against Cumo in NY because the person running is a conservative... let's face it ... Chris Christie really, REALLY doesn't like conservatives and he isn't one.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:02:09 pm »
I know it is completely irreverent (and irrelevant) but every single time I see the words Chris Christie and run in the same sentence I get the giggles.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink