Author Topic: Mitch McConnell: Time for GOP Establishment to 'Stand Up to' Tea Party  (Read 2500 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/12/01/Mitch-McConnell-Time-for-GOP-establishment-to-stand-up-to-conservatives

by Matthew Boyle 1 Dec 2013, 2:43 PM PDT

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican up for re-election in 2014, told the Washington Examiner in an interview published Friday that he believes it is time for the GOP establishment to stop conservatives and Tea Partiers.

McConnell argued it is “utter nonsense” for groups like the Senate Conservatives Fund (SCF), which has endorsed his primary challenger businessman Matt Bevin, to argue that Republicans like him in Congress are not fighting hard enough to defeat Democrats. In the interview, McConnell focused on deriding Tea Partiers for leading the effort to defund Obamacare—something that, coupled with the Democrats’ refusal to compromise on the soon-to-fail Obamacare, resulted in a government shutdown.

“The Senate Conservatives Fund is giving conservatism a bad name,” McConnell told the Examiner for the piece titled “The Establishment Fights Back: Mitch McConnell leads GOP battle against Tea Party insurgents.”

“They’re [SCF] participating in ruining the [Republican] brand,” McConnell said. “What they do is mislead their donors into believing the reason that we can’t get as good an outcome as we’d like to get is not because of a Democratic Senate and a Democratic president, but because Republicans are insufficiently committed to the cause—which is utter nonsense.”

McConnell had not only personally opposed, during the shutdown, the effort from Sens. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Mike Lee (R-UT) to defund Obamacare, he actually whipped votes against them, according to a Congressional source. Cruz and Lee had staked their battle on a key cloture vote that would have, if McConnell had united the Republican Party to deliver 41 votes against the use of taxpayer money to fund Obamacare, stopped Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid from using a procedural ploy to fund Obamacare with just 51 votes.

McConnell voted with the Senate Democrats in favor of cloture  and reportedly whipped the Senate GOP conference to join him. While a majority of Senate Republicans—25, including McConnell—voted to allow Reid to procedurally fund Obamacare with just 51 votes cloture, 19 stood with Cruz and Lee. Those 19 Republicans included senior GOP senators like Sens. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Jim Risch (R-ID), and Jerry Moran (R-KS).

McConnell made an argument for what he termed “electable” candidates that he deems necessary to win back the U.S. Senate for the GOP. “To have the kind of year we ought to have in 2014, we have to have electable candidates on November ballots in every state—people that don't scare the general electorate and can actually win, because winners make policy and losers go home,” McConnell said in his interview with the Examiner. “We can't just turn the other cheek and hope for the best. It didn't work in 2010 and 2012 so we're going to try something different in 2014.”

McConnell is now, according to Bloomberg News, getting financial backing from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in his reelection campaign against Bevin.

“The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is pouring money into a television advertising campaign defending Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, whose primary fight against a Tea Party-backed rival is shaping up as a test of establishment efforts to reclaim the Republican Party,” Bloomberg reported last Wednesday. “The business lobby will spend about $180,000 on a 10-day statewide blitz beginning Dec. 2 on behalf of McConnell, a five-term Republican, said a person familiar with the plans who asked not be identified because the ad buy hasn’t been announced.”

The Chamber of Commerce is leading the GOP establishment's efforts to undercut the Tea Party movement and is the tip of the spear—along with Crossroads GPS's Karl Rove—of the establishment's efforts to strike back against the surging grassroots conservatism across America.

Bevin has been gaining steam lately, partly due to McConnell’s mistakes in attacking conservatives and also by wrapping up a series of key grassroots support elements like an 85 percent victory in the Boone County, KY, GOP straw poll right before Thanksgiving. In an interview last weekend with Breitbart News Executive Chairman Stephen K. Bannon on Breitbart News Sunday, Bevin described his primary challenge against McConnell as a "microcosm" of the national fight between the Tea Party movement and the GOP establishment.

Rather than embracing conservatism, McConnell’s strategy has been to attempt to isolate and excoriate SCF for backing Bevin. McConnell has been largely unsuccessful in doing so, as his actions have garnered him attention and criticism from other Tea Party-minded organizations who say attacking SCF is attacking the entire conservative movement.

Tea Party Patriots national coordinator Jenny Beth Martin and Tea Party Express chairwoman Amy Kremer both say it is unfair to attack SCF and try to separate the organization, which was founded by Heritage Foundation president former Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) and whose help has directly led to the elections of Sens. Rand Paul (R-KY), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Mike Lee (R-UT), among many others.

McConnell’s latest slip-up, as it is being portrayed by Bevin, is a quote that appeared in the Bowling Green Daily News, in which McConnell said that he would be open to allowing Obamacare to remain the law of the land provided significant changes were made to it.

McConnell said “he is not averse to talking about changes [to Obamacare], provided they are significant ones,” the paper reported.

“I'm just not going to throw somebody a lifeline (by extending the deadline for signup) just to get someone through the election,” McConnell said.

In response to that comment, Bevin held a conference call with reporters both in national and in Kentucky media to point out the Senate Minority Leader has essentially abandoned his previous promises to repeal Obamacare “root and branch.”

“We really want to call attention to the fact that there really is nothing conservative about his approach and there is really nothing with respect to what the American people want, which is a repeal,” Bevin said on the call, according to the Courier-Journal newspaper in Louisville, Kentucky.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Mitch McConnell: Time for GOP Establishment to 'Stand Up to' Tea Party
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:11:32 am »
Reince, Fail, Repeat.....

:smokin:

Offline Rapunzel

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:52:15 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 02:50:20 am »

Love that...very clever...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 03:14:25 am »

http://www.amazon.com/Karl-Rove-Establishment-Lost-Again-ebook/dp/B00BLQF2FU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385952360&sr=8-1&keywords=WTF+by+C.+Wright

Read this one! I promise you will not be sorry!

I love how all the kool-aid-drinking so-called Republicans like to claim the Tea Party lost the senate races for us and they ignore Rove and company won TWO races while the Tea Party won many more - and a lot of them thanks to Palin... people like Ayoette is in the senate thanks to Palin (though she seems to think it was McCain??)
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline olde north church

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 01:15:13 pm »
It's about time McConnell stood up to somebody because he sure as Hell doesn't stand up to Reid.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 01:38:56 pm »
We really want to call attention to the fact that there really is nothing conservative about his approach and there is really nothing with respect to what the American people want, which is a repeal,” Bevin said on the call, according to the Courier-Journal newspaper in Louisville, Kentucky.

There you have it.

Offline happyg

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 03:48:46 pm »
The Tea Party is representative about what republicans are supposed to be, and why they got elected in the first place. During election cycles, we receive countless emails, phone calls, and letters from republicans who stress the word 'conservative' in every other paragraph.

McConnell is going after the kinds of people he was elected to be. I hope he falls hard!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 04:09:19 pm »

it really does, you know. It really does get to the critical point where you have to wonder who these people are working for.

The majority of so called 'Republicans' hate us. They wolrship the state the 'government' more than they respect people. It is always the same.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 04:21:39 pm »

:thumbsup:
If the GOP Establishment were smart (and yes, if pigs could fly...) they would join forces with Tea Party organizations and map out a strategy to coordinate efforts during the 2014 election campaign. Such an effort would necessitate compromise on both sides, which as a practical matter means the GOP leadership would have to accept the necessity of some primary challenges to a few Republican incumbents, in exchange for, perhaps, a rhetorical cease-fire and an agreement to work together on a broad-based message.   

But alas, the Stupid Party would rather alienate its own base by essentially agreeing with the Democrat/Media anti-Tea Party campaign.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 07:59:19 pm »
and when you put this into perspective it makes you wonder if McConnell is a)senile or b) wants to remain in the minority because the Tea Party he, and others like McCain and Graham, love to denigrate in 2010 was responsible for the biggest GOP sweep around the entire nation in 100 years.  People love to concentrate on the whipping boys Akin and Murdock, but ignore that Maine went red, NH went red, Wisconsin elected Republicans, etc....

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 10:05:34 pm »
and when you put this into perspective it makes you wonder if McConnell is a)senile or b) wants to remain in the minority because the Tea Party he, and others like McCain and Graham, love to denigrate in 2010 was responsible for the biggest GOP sweep around the entire nation in 100 years.  People love to concentrate on the whipping boys Akin and Murdock, but ignore that Maine went red, NH went red, Wisconsin elected Republicans, etc....

The inside the beltway crowd (both parties) see the TEA party movement as the greatest threat around to their little game and will do ANYTHING to protect it from them! ANYTHING!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 10:21:33 pm »
The overall "Tea Party" movement is seen by many as a loose cannon. You don't know what might happen next.

Big business is interested in having a voice in tax and other major policies. If they fear that the GOP candidate is going to step in his own poop, like several Tea Party types HAVE done, they shy away.

BTW the people at the top of the various TP entities ARE skimming advertising, fund raising consulting fees, just like Rove does. I would not be surprised if DeMint does that, too.

The TP support is narrow, something of a fad, to set the followers apart as being different, noteworthy.

They disappeared for the 2012 elections. Their recent approval is down substantially. Study the polls.

I've been admonished they couldn't operate effectively in 2012, because their IRS tax exempt status was delayed. Then what the hell did they do in 2010 when they were so effective?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 10:40:24 pm »
:thumbsup:
If the GOP Establishment were smart (and yes, if pigs could fly...) they would join forces with Tea Party organizations and map out a strategy to coordinate efforts during the 2014 election campaign. Such an effort would necessitate compromise on both sides, which as a practical matter means the GOP leadership would have to accept the necessity of some primary challenges to a few Republican incumbents, in exchange for, perhaps, a rhetorical cease-fire and an agreement to work together on a broad-based message.   

But alas, the Stupid Party would rather alienate its own base by essentially agreeing with the Democrat/Media anti-Tea Party campaign.

It's really simple at the end of the day!

Either you are part of the solution or you're part of the problem!  The GOPe is definitely part of the problem!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 10:43:04 pm »
The overall "Tea Party" movement is seen by many as a loose cannon. You don't know what might happen next.

Big business is interested in having a voice in tax and other major policies. If they fear that the GOP candidate is going to step in his own poop, like several Tea Party types HAVE done, they shy away.

BTW the people at the top of the various TP entities ARE skimming advertising, fund raising consulting fees, just like Rove does. I would not be surprised if DeMint does that, too.

The TP support is narrow, something of a fad, to set the followers apart as being different, noteworthy.

They disappeared for the 2012 elections. Their recent approval is down substantially. Study the polls.

I've been admonished they couldn't operate effectively in 2012, because their IRS tax exempt status was delayed. Then what the hell did they do in 2010 when they were so effective?

TEA party support may be "narrow" where you are but I'll assure you that is NOT the case in large chunks of this country! Most folks I know are sick to death of the establishment peeing down their leg and telling then it's raining!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:45:54 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 11:23:20 pm »

Their "narrow" support gave the GOP a landslide across the country in 2010... so if that is a loose cannon - give me more!  and BTW you are on this board daily, so you are not living under a rock and thus low information - so I KNOW you know the reason the TP was not more active in 2012 had more to do with the IRS not issuing their 501(c) than anything else....... I realize you think the GOPe is a great thing, more of us do not and are sick of business as usual in Washington, DC.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 11:50:28 pm »
 :th_10444:
There you have it.

What do you have?   The majority of the American public DOES NOT favor repeal of Obamacare..
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 11:58:44 pm »
Their "narrow" support gave the GOP a landslide across the country in 2010... so if that is a loose cannon - give me more!  and BTW you are on this board daily, so you are not living under a rock and thus low information - so I KNOW you know the reason the TP was not more active in 2012 had more to do with the IRS not issuing their 501(c) than anything else....... I realize you think the GOPe is a great thing, more of us do not and are sick of business as usual in Washington, DC.

The Tea party Senate candidates in 2012 were a bust, just as they were in 2010.  They thought they were still preaching to the choir when Murdock and Akins made their ridiculous statements about rape, but, alas, it was the general election. 

This article is a perfect example of Breitbart's disingenuousness.  McConnell doesn't trash the Tea Party, but does comment that some of its tactics are misguided.  The obviously are; Cruz and Lee took the Republican brand to the basement with their dopey shutdown strategy.

The Tea Party seems to be focused on defeating Republicans.   I'd rather focus on Democrats.  We've got them in a vise right now, and the scumbag Bevins is more interested in trashing McConnell than in making sure Allison Grimes goes down.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline happyg

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 12:45:15 am »
You have it all backwards, sink.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 12:58:28 am »

La la la, tea party fail, everyone loves moderates, la la la.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 01:03:24 am »
:th_10444:
What do you have?  The majority of the American public DOES NOT favor repeal of Obamacare..

What freaking planet have you been living on?????????  Certainly not our planet.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/20/cbs-poll-93-percent-want-obamacare-changed-repealed
CBS Poll: 84% of Democrats Want ObamaCare Changed or Repealed

by John Nolte 20 Nov 2013

A fascinating number in Wednesday's CBS poll is that only 7% of the American public want ObamaCare "kept in place." A full 93% either believe that changes are needed to the law (48%) or want a full repeal (43%). This pits President Obama and Democrat lawmakers -- who thus far have refused to make any meaningful changes -- against 93% of the American people and 72% of Democrats.

Moreover, only 12% of Democrats want ObamaCare "kept as is." Another 12% want it repealed.

If only 12% of Democrats want nothing changed with ObamaCare, there is no question that Democrat lawmakers and the president are defying their own base with this ongoing refusal to make any real changes to the law. Furthermore, they are blocking proposed changes, including changes proposed by fellow Democrats. 

The growing narrative from the media and ObamaCare champions is that Democrats need to "stay the course." Analyzing the Democrats' political options, ABC's Rick Klein writes today:

Lost in the Democratic angst over Obamacare is a simple fact of 2014 politics: They don’t really have any choice but to own it. … No quantity of votes on “fixes” now will matter in the broad messaging wars later; no lawmaker, and virtually no Democratic challenger, will be able to seal him or herself off from potential political damage.

Klein is not alone with this advice. But how exactly is that a smart play when 84% of Democrats disagree?

A fair question to ask is, "What kind of changes do Democrat voters want?" A poll released by ABC News yesterday showed that two-thirds of Americans oppose ObamaCare's individual mandate. There are definitely some Democrats in that group.

It is also safe to guess that a whole lot of Democrat voters would like to see laws passed that ensure people don’t lose the insurance Obama repeatedly promised they could keep. But those are legislative changes the president has threatened to veto and Democrat leaders refuse to even put to a vote.

As the 2014 midterms loom large late next year, ObamaCare is almost certain to have begun its rampage through the lives of the 95% of Americans who are insured through group and employer plans. The administration itself predicts that tens of millions will lose their insurance as the new employer mandate kicks in. For obvious reasons, the media is covering this fact up. But cover-ups can't stop reality from becoming reality.

By this time next year, "stay the course" is probably going to look like a suicide pact.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 09:43:37 am »

Thank you for that injection of reality.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 09:56:40 am »
What freaking planet have you been living on?????????  Certainly not our planet.

I don't know about Sinkspur but on my planet you proved Sinkspur correct with your quote from Breitbart.

Sinkspur said The majority of the American public DOES NOT favor repeal of Obamacare..
and you quoted a CBS poll that states 43% favor repeal.

43% is not a majority.