Author Topic: Baby not covered under ObamaCare family plan  (Read 829 times)

Offline happyg

Baby not covered under ObamaCare family plan
« on: December 01, 2013, 11:25:00 pm »
Cornelius and Jenifer Kelly were shocked to find that their 18-month-old daughter isn't covered under the family's ObamaCare policy.

This baby’s not on board with ObamaCare.

Long Islander Cornelius Kelly found it would be no problem to secure a family plan for his wife and three older kids through New York’s health-care exchange, but his 18-month-old daughter was out in the cold. The baby would need her own insurance policy.

“I couldn’t believe what I was being told,” said the dad from East Quogue, in Suffolk.

Kelly said he was no fan of the Affordable Care Act, but when he received notice a few weeks ago that his current insurance plan was being canceled, he tried the New York State of Health Web site.

Kelly, 41, and his wife, Jennifer, 42, are self-employed and have always had to buy their own insurance. Kelly runs a title insurance business in Westhampton, and his wife is a pediatrician in private practice in Miller Place. “I initially went on with a lot of optimism,” he said.

Kelly said none of the plans offered out-of-network coverage, which was something he wanted. But even worse, they only covered his three older children, who are 3, 5 and 6.

When Kelly called a representative, he was told his daughter had to be 2 before she could be covered under a family plan. He would have to buy a separate plan for her, at monthly premiums that ranged between $117.21 and $369.31. The cost would be on top of a family plan with premiums ranging from $810.84 to $2,554.71 a month.

Kelly said he had been paying about $1,000 a month.

Unwilling to put his daughter on a separate policy, Kelly found a family plan in the private marketplace for about $1,250 a month.

By Isabel Vincent and Melissa Klein
http://nypost.com/2013/12/01/baby-not-covered-under-obamacare-family-plan/