Author Topic: “Lord” Removed From Beloved Gospel Song On The Voice  (Read 641 times)

Offline Rapunzel

“Lord” Removed From Beloved Gospel Song On The Voice
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:02:40 pm »
http://countrymusicnation.com/42167/lord-removed-from-beloved-gospel-song-on-the-voice/

“Lord” Removed From Beloved Gospel Song On The Voice

Will The Circle Be Unbroken is one of the most sacred of Gospel songs, especially in the world of Country music.  Well now, the song is at the center of a huge controversy after the song’s lyrics were changed for a performance on The Voice.

On last Tuesday’s episode the final 8 contestants were joined by the Starbucks chorus, a philanthropic  chorus based in Seattle, Washington.  As you’ll see in the video below, the word “Lord” was replaced by “Oh.” Verses that mentioned “Heaven” or “Saviour” were also skipped.

Social Media has exploded in anger over the lyric change and Blake Shelton isn’t happy either according to Taste of Country:

“I’ve heard — you know, in the twenty minutes I’ve had since the show ended to come in here — a lot of different reasons why it was that way,” the country star explains. “I know it was performed — and it’s meant for a good cause, and they’re trying to raise some money. And that’s a good thing. But I will say, that’s not the version I grew up on. And that’s not the version I was singing sitting in my chair, if that clears up anything [about] where I stand on this thing.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adViZXithhw

The Christian Post reports that the show’s executive producer, Mark Burnett,  was also shocked:

“Especially for those of us who know this song from church so well … I realized immediately what had happened,” Burnett told Zap2it. “I thought I’d misheard on the sound. Then came the next chorus, and I’m like, ‘OK, it’s live TV, so I’ve got to wait until the next commercial break. I’m running over there and asking the question.’”

Apparently there are two versions of the lyrics to the song.  Lyrics in the song that are public domain do not include the word “Lord.”  Still, that has fans, and Shelton rubbed the wrong way.  We don’t blame them.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: “Lord” Removed From Beloved Gospel Song On The Voice
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 06:14:57 am »
Apparently there are two versions of the lyrics to the song.  Lyrics in the song that are public domain do not include the word “Lord.”

So what? I assume most of the songs sung on this show require payment of royalties but they couldn't afford it this one time?
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams