Author Topic: Sources: At Least 4 Dead In Metro-North Train Derailment In The Bronx  (Read 628 times)

Offline happyg

– Four people were killed and 46 injured when a Metro-North commuter train derailed Sunday morning in the Bronx, fire officials said.

Emergency crews were on the scene removing passengers from inside the cars, WCBS 880′s Monica Miller reported.

Passengers were taken off the derailed train, with dozens of them bloodied and scratched, holding ice packs to their heads. Eleven of the injuries are critical, officials said.

Video at link: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/12/01/metro-north-train-derails-near-spuyten-duyvil/

Offline mountaineer

Re: Sources: At Least 4 Dead In Metro-North Train Derailment In The Bronx
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 06:44:45 pm »
A Metro-North train derailed in the Bronx on Sunday morning just north of Manhattan, in a “bloodbath” that killed four passengers and injured 60 more, authorities said.

The accident happened at 7:22 a.m. about 100 feet north of the Spuyten Duyvil station, as five of seven cars derailed, according to MTA officials.

“I was asleep and I woke up when the car started rolling several times. Then I saw the gravel coming at me, and I heard people screaming,” said passenger Joel Zaritsky, headed into New York for a dental convention.

“There was smoke everywhere and debris. People were thrown to the other side of the train.”

The train wasn’t scheduled to stop at Spuyten Duyvil and some passengers said the operator tried to apply brakes before the deadly crash.

One FDNY rescuer at the scene said he couldn’t believe the carnage in front of him.

“It was just a bloodbath,” the FDNY Bravest said. “This is the worse accident scene I’ve ever worked. There was blood everywhere.” ...

Rest of story and photos at New York Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 08:57:33 pm »
I've got the RedZone on right now....any speculation as to why these coaches derailed so violently??  Broken tracks??  High speed through a low speed zone???

Mayhem is everywhere....

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 09:00:16 pm »
They are quite fortunate it happened on an outgoing tide. 
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.