Author Topic: Obama shoots hoops in post-holiday workout  (Read 641 times)

Offline flowers

Obama shoots hoops in post-holiday workout
« on: November 30, 2013, 07:01:41 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/briefing%20room/news/191656-obama-hits-basketball-court-for-post-holiday-workout

President Obama is trying to work off some of the calories from the nine Thanksgiving Day pies on the White House menu with a game of basketball.

The commander-in-chief stepped out of the White House to play hoops at the FBI headquarters, according to a White House pool report. It's unclear who the president is playing with but forty minutes into the game, he paused to tweet:

When our small businesses do well, our communities do well. Join me and visit a small business near you today to celebrate #SmallBizSat. –bo

Obama, a big basketball fan, picked up a game last Sunday at the FBI headquarters after announcing the interim agreement with Iran over its nuclear program.

Unreal......40 min and then someone tweeted that for him.

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obama shoots hoops in post-holiday workout
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 07:12:00 pm »
... and then someone tweeted that for him.
That's the most pathetic part of this story. Really, Barry? You expect us to believe you took a break from embarrassing yourself on the basketball court (why is there a bball court at the FBI) to tweet something about which we all know you don't give a rat's rear end?

I guess that "join me" means he'll go out later today -  inconveniencing countless local residents - to visit some small business somewhere. Ugh.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 08:05:51 pm »
That's the most pathetic part of this story. Really, Barry? You expect us to believe you took a break from embarrassing yourself on the basketball court (why is there a bball court at the FBI) to tweet something about which we all know you don't give a rat's rear end?

I guess that "join me" means he'll go out later today -  inconveniencing countless local residents - to visit some small business somewhere. Ugh.

For the bolded bit - there is actually a very good reason. It teaches and stresses situational awareness. Basketball is fast, hard driving and you need to always know where your team mates and the ball are, even if they are behind you. It's a pretty boring game to actually play, but it does help in those respects.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 08:49:57 pm »
I've played basketball since I was 13 years old and enjoy it to this day. I still say there's no need for a basketball court at the FBI, and even less need for yet another presidential motorcade and countless USSS agents just so Barry the Benchwarmer can indulge in his fantasy life of being the next MJ.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 08:54:47 pm »
No way am I disputing about Barry the Benchwarmer ( that made me  :silly: )

But it is a tool for fostering teamwork and awareness - so yeah, a valid thing for the FBI to have. Fire departments play hoops for precisely the same reason - you get to know where your people are without even looking.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink