Author Topic:  (Read 413 times)

Offline happyg

« on: November 30, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »

Offline flowers

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »
Is this the right thing to do? Or is it surrender by the administration?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 08:12:11 AM »

For commercial flights - yes, it is the right thing to do.

It's a routine courtesy as you pass through a nation's airspace to give them a shout and let them know. Even in so called "international" airspace, there is still always some nation keeping an eye on you. For the Senkaku group, that was normally either Japan or Taiwan. An extra notification is no big deal, there is always a lot of overlap in national airspace anyway.
Even in the USA, national airspace stretches 100 miles into both Mexico and Canada and covers much of the Caribbean as well. Mexican and Canadian airspace stretch the same distance into the USA. Who you talk to at the time in the overlapping space depends solely on which way you are going. Air Traffic Control always co-operate with each other, even between enemies. It's one of the few good things to come out of the Cold War.

We all recall what happens when a nervous fight jock sees an unknown craft in his patrol space. A lot of people get killed.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »

This is absolutely the right thing to do.  The Chinese have declared an ADIZ (Air Defense Identification Zone) around those Islands, and the last place a commercial airliner wants to find itself is in front of a fighter jet that is challenging it.  Remember the Korean Air liner that was shot down by the Soviets??  How about the airliner the Iranians deliberately flew in an aggressive manner at the USS Vincennes, forcing it to shoot??

The other piece that goes with a notification like this is firm action by the US Military, primarily the Navy, who ought to have a carrier task group there right now flying CAPs and exercising freedom of navigation on the high seas.  While we are flying aircraft through that space it is largely for show.  If we were serious we would have fighters up patrolling while our Ambassador works the UN Security Council. 

Those days are long gone, and that scenario requires more competence than this entire Administration possesses.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
I thought it was the right thing to do as well....yet most post at FR and other sites call it a surender. I don't see how.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:58:05 AM by flowers »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
I thought it was the right thing to do as well....yet most post at FR and other sites call it a surender. I don't see how.

Seen a lot of those posts too. This might explain it:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUOgIgLqOQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUOgIgLqOQ</a>
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf