Offline happyg

« on: November 30, 2013, 10:23:17 AM »

Offline flowers

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »
OMG!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
OMG!

So we free their nuclear scientist and they still hold the Christian pastor......... :pondering:

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 03:36:21 PM »
So we free their nuclear scientist and they still hold the Christian pastor..

I thought the same thing, plus the former FBI agent the Iranians seized in 2007 and hasn't been seen since.

US Pleads for Release of Ex-FBI Agent Held in Iran
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/white-house-pleas-iran-return-fbi-agent-21015135
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 07:50:58 AM »
On a minor related note: Find and read "A Cup of Coffee," especially if you have never dealt in the Middle East. It is a perfect description of the mindset and how to get anything done in a totally different culture.

It's out of print now, sadly, but your library should be able to get it for you.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 08:52:51 AM »
On a minor related note: Find and read "A Cup of Coffee," especially if you have never dealt in the Middle East. It is a perfect description of the mindset and how to get anything done in a totally different culture.

It's out of print now, sadly, but your library should be able to get it for you.

We are talking about a nuclear weapons scientist here, and the best example of how to properly deal with someone like this comes from our friends at The Mossad.  You shadow the mark until you know where he drives his car, then you scoot up beside him on a motorcycle, and place a magnetic limpet mine on the driver's door, and blow him through the passenger's door and into the loving arms of Allah.

Then, and only then, do you sit down and enjoy that hot cup of coffee.......

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »

What is the gist of the book?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 12:37:48 PM »
What is the gist of the book?

It's literally how to do business in the Middle East.

Arabs (and to a lesser extent Israelis) don't separate business and personal relationships like we do. A negotiation for a contract is more like being invited into someones home for dinner, then chat about business afterwards. It is a very social thing, both relaxed and incredibly formal at the same time.

And Lord help you if you mess up any one of about a million different social customs! You will get screwed over. It's worse than Japan or China in that respect.

Accidentally show the sole of your foot to your host? Kiss that contract goodbye - you just insulted him badly.
Acknowledge his wife or daughters before they have been formally introduced? Forget it. After you are introduced, totally fine, but never, ever look at them for more than 2 seconds.
Try to talk business over the first tea/coffee? You are insulting his hospitality.
Never, ever, use your left hand for anything. That one has always caused me problems.  :laugh:

There are thousands of etiquette rules, put in place to allow constantly warring tribes to trade with each other. You are expected to know them all, instinctively. The book does a rather good job of explaining, not just what to do and expect, but why those customs are there in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:39:38 PM by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf