Author Topic: President pitches in for Thanksgiving: Obamas continue family tradition by handing out food to the poor... and boxes of White House M&Ms  (Read 1041 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2514828/Obamas-continue-Thanksgiving-family-tradition-handing-food-poor.html

President pitches in for Thanksgiving: Obamas continue family tradition by handing out food to the poor... and boxes of White House M&Ms

Obama joined by Michelle, daughters Malia and Sasha and mother-in-law
    Dropped bundles of fruit and vegetables into bags held open by the needy
    Food bank distributed nearly 40million meals in Washington area last year
    Comes after Congress cut $5bn from aid to the most vulnerable Americans

By Simon Tomlinson

PUBLISHED: 04:49 EST, 28 November 2013 | UPDATED: 08:05 EST, 28 November 2013

View
comments

President Barack Obama has continued an annual family tradition by helping to pack bags of food and distribute them to the needy on Thanksgiving eve.

Obama, his wife Michelle, daughters Malia and Sasha, and his mother-in-law, Marian Robinson, last night dropped in on the Capital Area Food Bank (CAFB), one of the largest serving the Washington area.

They dropped bundles of sweet potatoes, onions, carrots and apples into reusable bags people held open as they walked by.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2514828/Obamas-continue-Thanksgiving-family-tradition-handing-food-poor.html#ixzz2lwqHpY9N

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

So degrading, to 'open your bag' for the first family to drop in food and use you for a photo opportunity to mimic "compassion."

The staging bothers me. Just meet the president, shake hands, and move down the line where food bags are made ready for you to take

Offline flowers

Look at those posters in the background on the right hand side shelf. This stage photo op reminds me of photos of a russian tyrant talking to his people, behind him was those same type of cute photos.

Online mountaineer

What kind of security did these token poor folks have to go through, I wonder, to get their yams from this pack of moochers?
I agree, flowers, the posters are vaguely North Korean in style.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
This is the one thing the Obama's do every year that I will never criticize.

Food banks need all the exposure they can get, same with toy drives and shelters.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Remember? That is one day I'll never forget.  :laugh:

There was a small contingent of us Internationals there - 40 or 50 of us stationing through. We were just happy the food was decent for once, you know? The whole Thanksgiving thing didn't really click for any of us. There was some major fuss on the food line, but we'd already got our food, so eat, laugh and joke with each other. 10 of us were sat at a table off to the side, then we hear this voice say "Mind if I join you?"

GWB. Sat down with his plate and started talking to us. He knew damned well we weren't American. We were never going to vote for him, since we couldn't. It didn't matter to him at all. He'd ask a question, then listen and give the convo a gentle poke from time to time while he ate. He didn't eat much - a very small plate load, but fair enough. He'd probably done it a dozen times already. He stood up, thanked us for being there and thanked us for sharing our stories. Shook everyone's hand and went to a table on the other side of the mess hall to talk.

Anyone wants to hassle him - they go through me first. Simple as that. For those few minutes he wasn't "the most powerful man in the world." He was a real CO. Sitting, listening and advising if needed. Met him a couple years later and he remembered that. Like I say - a real man and a real CO.

His guards must have been nervous as all get out though - our orders were to never be unarmed at any time and we were all carrying!

Offline Carling

Remember? That is one day I'll never forget.  :laugh:

There was a small contingent of us Internationals there - 40 or 50 of us stationing through. We were just happy the food was decent for once, you know? The whole Thanksgiving thing didn't really click for any of us. There was some major fuss on the food line, but we'd already got our food, so eat, laugh and joke with each other. 10 of us were sat at a table off to the side, then we hear this voice say "Mind if I join you?"

GWB. Sat down with his plate and started talking to us. He knew damned well we weren't American. We were never going to vote for him, since we couldn't. It didn't matter to him at all. He'd ask a question, then listen and give the convo a gentle poke from time to time while he ate. He didn't eat much - a very small plate load, but fair enough. He'd probably done it a dozen times already. He stood up, thanked us for being there and thanked us for sharing our stories. Shook everyone's hand and went to a table on the other side of the mess hall to talk.

Anyone wants to hassle him - they go through me first. Simple as that. For those few minutes he wasn't "the most powerful man in the world." He was a real CO. Sitting, listening and advising if needed. Met him a couple years later and he remembered that. Like I say - a real man and a real CO.

His guards must have been nervous as all get out though - our orders were to never be unarmed at any time and we were all carrying!

That's an awesome story and something that I would have loved to have experienced, EC.  Thanks for sharing it!   :beer:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 05:40:57 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline NavyCanDo

What kind of security did these token poor folks have to go through, I wonder, to get their yams from this pack of moochers?

Good point.   I was invited to see George W. Bush off as he flew out of Seattle on Air Force One. The security was extremely tight, and Secret Service were seen every where and even more of them "not seen".   We had to even turn on our cameras for them at the security checkpoint to prove they were cameras.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
That's an awesome story and something that I would have loved to have experienced, EC.  Thanks for sharing it!   :beer:

:beer:

Total blind luck. My baby blew a fuel pump and I needed all four on them working to go play, since she has two speeds - gated and stopped.  :laugh:

Still - one of the highlights of my life. He wanted to come up in her!  :laugh: That got a "bleep no!!" from his security detail, the spoilsports. You know you have made it when a Secret Service agent asks the President if he is nuts.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:15:40 am by EC »

Offline musiclady

Our son was at the same camp when his Commander in Chief showed up for Thanksgiving.

All he knew at the time was that communications were shut down, but we got to talk with him later and he thought it was cool that the President showed up.

We were praying he'd be home for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, since his unit had left in January, but he didn't make it home until April.

Those were difficult days, but I don't think I've ever been prouder of anyone in my life than I was of my son.

AND his Commander in Chief.   :patriot:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

rangerrebew

Did these "needy" people also get condoms,  birth control, and an Obamaphone?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

When President Bush walked on stage to surprised, thunderous applause .... wow, even the memory of it give me chills.   :patriot:

Offline musiclady

When President Bush walked on stage to surprised, thunderous applause .... wow, even the memory of it give me chills.   :patriot:

Yep. An amazing moment!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.