Author Topic: EPA preparing to unleash a deluge of new regulations  (Read 3923 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: EPA preparing to unleash a deluge of new regulations
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 12:16:06 am »
@driftdiver

Again, nearly or over 90% of the money spent in Superfund isn't available for cleanup.  It goes to legal costs.  Yes, 85-90%!

There's not NEARLY enough to clean up all the sites fast.  Taxpayers would rightly be screaming their heads off if the EPA paid expedited costs to do rapid cleanups at places where it was even scientifically feasible!  Most places, it's not scientifically feasible.

And sites are listed on a National Priorities List (NPL).  And many are cleaned up.

Also, at many locations, the idea is to get the responsible parties to pay, rather than the taxpayer picking up the huge costs.  There's only so fast you can push before the company decides to go bankrupt and dump costs onto the taxpayer.  Again, is that what we want?

Because the private sector had left the mess and hadn't cleaned it up! EPA wouldn't have been there if there wasn't already environmental damage left by the private sector! 

Funny, but the usual course of action for EPA would be to study the problem more before taking action, but pressure has been put on EPA to "speed things up" (look in the mirror), so they took action without the full study.  (Plus, the situation was building up to a natural blowout, so an Interim Measure had to be taken.)
A sane interim measure would have been to lower the hydrostatic pressure by pumping off the fluid before removing the plug. If it is as metalliferous as stated, it could have been treated to reduce volume significantly and concentrate the metals, which might even have had some commercial value.
What they did was wrong.  They should have listened to their contractor.  EPA is quite often arrogant, and this time it cost them (and us).
What did it cost them? Any of them? No, they are rolling on our dime. They don't live there, it doesn't come out of their pockets, no jobs were lost, no skin off their backside.

Yes, there are many like that in the EPA, along with the sane.

I want the bad ones gone.  I want the good ones staying. 

The budget should be better focused.  Core-mission funding should be restored, and the activist stuff should be curtailed.
(edited for brevity)

If there are important functions, move them to Interior and get rid of the agency (EPA) entirely. Keep the good people who can find and remediate the problem areas, get rid of all the activists. There is no way in Hell any activist should be running around the halls of Government on our dime advocating the destruction of American Industry, and that is exactly what the environmentalist movement is doing. That movement has become a pseudo-religion.
At some point, the last half part per billion really doesn't matter. Holding effluents to purity standards stricter than the natural environment is nuts.

As for burning coal, if one looks around western North Dakota and sees the orange layers of natural brick locally referred to as 'scoria', and used as road surfacing material on unpaved roads, realize those hundreds of thousands of acres of coal beds which burned, firing the underclays and cap rock clays to those coal seams into natural brick must have put out huge amounts of CO2, not to mention all the other goodies a burning coal seam puts out.

Nature has a way of making man's contribution to the atmosphere seem as insignificant as it is. In the past, in valleys, capped with thermal inversions and fed by stack emissions far, far, less clean than the steam the comes out of most power plants, the huddled masses suffered from the soot and combustion byproducts.

Since then, however, the incredible difference in the cleanliness of those emissions has always been deemed insufficient, as soon as the last complaint was addressed a new one was made--maybe half as much as the previous standard, maybe something new, but always sapping revenue, directly (with fines) or indirectly with expenses, modifications, and shutdowns. No wonder industry left America.

As for the Carboniferous (AKA the Mississippian and Pennsylvanian periods in the US) You're looking at roughly 250 million years ago. We don't know how much CO2 was "normal", but the trees and foliage sure grew well. The planet has its own dampening mechanisms. CO2 goes up, plant life thrives, gets buried, carbon sequestration. When the temp goes down, water becomes bound up in large continental Ice sheets (precipitation that just doesn't make it back to the oceans, until the ice melts), sea level drops, Methane hydrates boil off with the drop in marine hydrostatic pressure (my little theory), and warming occurs.

4.6 billion years by some counts, and it's still here. Humans probably won't last that long, just from some of the volcanic events (Toba, for instance), and cosmic impacts (Chicxulub was just one), if we don't just kill each other off.

But as for mining and the like, most of the low-hanging fruit has been picked. Fill those stopes and shafts with tailings and you guarantee those workings will never be used again (It would cost too much to remove the tailings to look for more ore). The 'cheap to mine' coal is out of the ground, the 'easy' oil. So we had better use those resources we have wishing for more wishes. If humanity isn't colonizing Mars, the asteroids, and the moon in the next 100 years, it won't happen.

Right now, we're too busy cutting ourselves off at the knees over a half part per billion to reach for the stars.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 03:38:14 pm »
I wish I would have taken a pic of a puddle like you described near a well we were drilling in California.

The state environmental authority had it roped off with signs although any idiot could tell it was simply a 20' diameter wet area.

The CA govt charged the company drilling the well an 'environmental fee' so a college grad student could be hired around the clock to monitor the environmental effects of the activity.  Guess that paid to educate the next generation of envirowackos.

Unbelievable, stupid actions, endemic of an out-of-control government.

Yeah, some people think that state agencies are magically so much better than the federal.  It just ain't true.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 03:57:48 pm »
A sane interim measure would have been to lower the hydrostatic pressure by pumping off the fluid before removing the plug. If it is as metalliferous as stated, it could have been treated to reduce volume significantly and concentrate the metals, which might even have had some commercial value.

Of course, but IIRC, they weren't aware of how much water was built up behind it.  And of course, the mine itself was underestimating it, so we can't say they are good guys in this, either.  They let it get that way.

They should have drilled a test hole "upstream" but that would have been very costly, and they were trying to save (taxpayer) money.  They would get criticism no matter what they did.

What did it cost them? Any of them? No, they are rolling on our dime. They don't live there, it doesn't come out of their pockets, no jobs were lost, no skin off their backside.
   (edited for brevity)

You think there haven't been costs to them, to their careers, to the agency??

If there are important functions, move them to Interior and get rid of the agency (EPA) entirely.

Changing the alphabet name will fix it?  Why not the changes you recommend but keep the agency separate, without having to redo all the legislation.

At some point, the last half part per billion really doesn't matter. Holding effluents to purity standards stricter than the natural environment is nuts.

Agreed on the first sentence.  Where are they doing the second?

As for burning coal, if one looks around western North Dakota and sees the orange layers of natural brick locally referred to as 'scoria', and used as road surfacing material on unpaved roads, realize those hundreds of thousands of acres of coal beds which burned, firing the underclays and cap rock clays to those coal seams into natural brick must have put out huge amounts of CO2, not to mention all the other goodies a burning coal seam puts out.

Yes, and there are thousands of underground coal fires burning right now, nearly all man-caused.  They account for about 3% of the CO2 emissions every year.

Nature has a way of making man's contribution to the atmosphere seem as insignificant as it is. In the past, in valleys, capped with thermal inversions and fed by stack emissions far, far, less clean than the steam the comes out of most power plants, the huddled masses suffered from the soot and combustion byproducts.

And the particulates reduced effective insolation, providing a cooling effect.

Since then, however, the incredible difference in the cleanliness of those emissions has always been deemed insufficient, as soon as the last complaint was addressed a new one was made--maybe half as much as the previous standard, maybe something new, but always sapping revenue, directly (with fines) or indirectly with expenses, modifications, and shutdowns. No wonder industry left America.

Agreed.  And there have been games played with the rules.  I recall standing at an "alternative" coal-fired power plant that got all kinds of subsidies.  The alternative coal?  They sprayed water onto it before burning it. 

Plus, the US isn't where those emissions are growing...it's places like China and India and elsewhere.

As for the Carboniferous (AKA the Mississippian and Pennsylvanian periods in the US)

Sadly, the Mississippian and Pennsylvanian have been relegated to subperiod/subsystem status in the US.  Check out USGS or GSA.  And don't get an eye exam when you try to find the Tertiary period.

You're looking at roughly 250 million years ago. We don't know how much CO2 was "normal", but the trees and foliage sure grew well. The planet has its own dampening mechanisms. CO2 goes up, plant life thrives, gets buried, carbon sequestration. When the temp goes down, water becomes bound up in large continental Ice sheets (precipitation that just doesn't make it back to the oceans, until the ice melts), sea level drops, Methane hydrates boil off with the drop in marine hydrostatic pressure (my little theory), and warming occurs.

And all of your discussion posits the forcing being on the temperature side.  Now, look at what would happen when we force CO2 levels.  By your own model, the equilibrium should shift to higher temperatures.

But as for mining and the like, most of the low-hanging fruit has been picked. Fill those stopes and shafts with tailings and you guarantee those workings will never be used again (It would cost too much to remove the tailings to look for more ore). The 'cheap to mine' coal is out of the ground, the 'easy' oil. So we had better use those resources we have wishing for more wishes. If humanity isn't colonizing Mars, the asteroids, and the moon in the next 100 years, it won't happen.

Nah...I'll just go to TOS, where they claim resources are limitless and forever cheap.  :laugh:

But you make a great point that too few people realize.

That's why I say that regardless of whether climate change is real or not, it doesn't mean we should cripple industry as a result.  We need a more intelligent response, cleaning up dirty sources and looking for other avenues.  Personally, I believe there is anthropogenic climate change occurring, but not nearly at the rates some have claimed.

Right now, we're too busy cutting ourselves off at the knees over a half part per billion to reach for the stars.

I'd say we're in a lot of agreement that there are misplaced priorities.

If we get rid of the activist wing of the EPA, and just look at the rest, we see that EPA has gone a long way toward rationality.. such as going to more risk-based approaches, where higher levels of contaminants are allowed to remain, if a risk assessment shows no risk for the future use of the land.  For example, contaminated industrial land doesn't need to be cleaned up to pristine unless it's going to be residential.  They just put a deed restriction on the property so it never can be used for a daycare or homes without more cleanup.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 10:13:01 pm »
You just brought up another issue that is pertinent - taxpayers paying for lawyers, not environmental cleanup.

You'd rather they just let the polluters get away with it, dumping costs onto the taxpayer?!?

I like the fact that the EPA often recovers costs.

If the EPA would stop spending time and money on frivolous adventures such as going after CO2 polluters or issuing all these new regulations, perhaps these cleanups could be addressed much better.

Definitely!

The federal government, particularly the DOD, is the absolute worst polluter in the history of this country.  And how much of the EPA monies are dedicated to that?

EPA has some costs involved, regulating.  But mostly it's DOD (or in some cases DOE) who pay for cleanups at DOD facilities.

Oh, and how about the EPA's role in cleaning up this mess which they helped fund.
http://toryaardvark.com/the-united-states-is-littered-with-more-than-14000-abandoned-wind-turbines/

A fake factoid. 

http://www.aweablog.org/fact-check-about-those-abandoned-turbines/
http://www.wind-works.org/cms/index.php?id=340&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=1679&cHash=a6ffbf36a98ab3ba82069d2486ebd7ae

+++++++++

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 11:02:27 pm »
Yeah, some people think that state agencies are magically so much better than the federal.  It just ain't true.
What?

You believe a federal bureaucrat should be regulating puddles?

The feds should have zilch authority when it comes to envirnomental matters.  We can save $30+ billion a year on federal budget?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2016, 11:06:06 pm »
You'd rather they just let the polluters get away with it, dumping costs onto the

Who said that?  Do not pay lawyers, pay to cleanup.

You are spitting out nonsense, apparently calibrated from enviro-wacko talking points.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2016, 11:31:21 pm »
In some states they are.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 12:56:29 am »
A fake factoid. 

http://www.aweablog.org/fact-check-about-those-abandoned-turbines/
http://www.wind-works.org/cms/index.php?id=340&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=1679&cHash=a6ffbf36a98ab3ba82069d2486ebd7ae
So to refute you use an article made up by someone who has zero qualifications and scolded by his employer IBM to stop doing it?

Good reference.  Tells all.
Mike Barnard’s wind wings clipped by employer IBM
Told to stop writing on wind power, resign fellowship from Energy and Policy Institute, and delete his blog: Barnard on Wind

Mike Barnard last month was taken to task by researcher Jackie Rovensky of AU and NA-PAW (North American Platform Against Wind Power) for a long-standing series of malicious attacks on trusted and respected professionals worldwide, who have variously documented and researched the now widely recognized devastating effects of industrial wind on human health.

This action by IBM is easily understood.

Barnard is best known for his self-proclaimed stance as a pro wind “expert”, who critiques others for their “lack of expertise.” He has zero qualifications for his writings on wind, yet “calls himself the lead researcher” in a study that calls wind victims “liars.” Barnard has also falsely asserted that his “power reading” and

“constant and deep access and conversations related to public health management, epidemiology and the nature of medical evidence ... That experience and on-the-job education has been invaluable as I’ve read through health studies and reviews related to wind power from around the world” ... which led to “recognition of my expertise ... I’m pleased to say that my material is helping to shape legal defences of wind energy, advocacy programs and investments in several countries.”

This bravado has found its “religious” base with wind power developers and promoters, but Barnard now can only boast of a protracted vacation from writing on wind.

Others use his cyber bullying and “manufactured facts” to recreate their own smears.

IBM Corporate Officer (Brand Manager, Communications) Carrie Bendzsa, after numerous discussions with Lange of NA-PAW, wrote to NA-PAW, thanking the organization for bringing this matter to their attention, asserting that none of “these postings or comments (libel by Barnard) were IBM endorsed actions.”

The communique continues:

“We don't have an advocacy position on energy and we have a number of social computing guidelines and policies in place that our employees are instructed and expected to follow. Furthermore, the individuals who are upset by the postings should be assured that IBM does not have any negative views about them personally or professionally.

“IBM has spent considerable time reviewing this matter internally and has taken several actions that our employee has agreed to comply with to resolve this matter. These include having the employee delete the Barnardonwind blog, terminate the Energy and Policy Institute Senior Fellow role and agree to no longer publish on wind energy.

“We truly appreciate you stepping forward to bring this matter to our attention.”

Lange notes that the kind of serial cyber bullying that has occurred with Barnard on Wind, some of which has been subsumed into other pro wind sites, is of a serious nature: “It is regarded as irrational, unprovoked criticism,” based on the apparent, some would say obvious, intent to harm careers and cast doubt on the professional integrity of individuals. It has no basis in fact, and can be compared in a way to “hate” speech.

Notes Lange: “Cyber Bullying and defamation falls under the Criminal Code, and is punishable by up to 10 years in prison in Canada.” “Defamatory libel is likewise a crime under the Criminal Code, if the libelous statement is directed against a person in authority and could seriously harm his or her reputation.” (The persons affected by the Barnard libel are indeed persons in authority.) “This is punishable by up to five years in prison.” (While the US defamation laws are less plaintiff friendly, there are legal markers since 1964 for those knowingly harming by the power of innuendo and falsehoods.)

NA-PAW expresses thanks to IBM for its ethical leadership, and reserves the right to observe and facilitate the removal of all related and corollary defamation from satellite websites, if need be with the assistance of web expert libel/defamation lawyers.
http://www.na-paw.org/pr-141212.php

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2016, 02:03:41 am »
Of course, but IIRC, they weren't aware of how much water was built up behind it.  And of course, the mine itself was underestimating it, so we can't say they are good guys in this, either.  They let it get that way.

You think there haven't been costs to them, to their careers, to the agency??
No. Link away if I'm wrong.
Changing the alphabet name will fix it?  Why not the changes you recommend but keep the agency separate, without having to redo all the legislation.

Frankly, all I'm seeing there is a well lawyered outlet for funds to environmental extremists and their lawyers. Yes, Virginia, there are some real messes, that DO need to be cleaned up, and the vast majority of those are the legacy of industries which antedated any legislation. Better yet, establish permissable standards (once, thankyouverymuch) and turn the states loose to regulate their own industry as they will. The regulators will be far closer to the communities they regulate. Have Federal oversight (to prevent corruption) if you want to, but not Federal Control.
Yes, and there are thousands of underground coal fires burning right now, nearly all man-caused.  They account for about 3% of the CO2 emissions every year.

And the particulates reduced effective insolation, providing a cooling effect.
Ohkay, I see you don't know what I am talking about. Look at the image:
[/quote]
The red beds in the foreground are natural brick, formed when coal beds which were associated with the (now refracted) clay burned. There is a lot of this in western ND and in eastern Montana, which antedates human activity here, in fact antedates the last ice age.
https://www.dmr.nd.gov/ndgs/ndnotes/ndn13_h.htm

Plus, the US isn't where those emissions are growing...it's places like China and India and elsewhere.

> snip <
That's why I say that regardless of whether climate change is real or not, it doesn't mean we should cripple industry as a result. 
Agreed, although I believe a non-agenda driven analysis of the situation finds similar fluctuations in both temperature and atmospheric CO2 have occurred in the past, beyond the apparent reach or ability of much smaller numbers of humans to exert an influence. Considering those fluctuations occurred without any significant human input, I believe we have grossly underestimated the ability of planetary systems (biological, atmospheric, and geochemical) to adjust for emissions and equilibrate. I also believe the natural component input has been underestimated, but that other factors may well apply. It is my firm belief that while humans can certainly render areas unsuitable for human habitation, that without actually trying to mess with global climate, we won't affect global climate significantly. Natural factors will exert far more control.
We need a more intelligent response, cleaning up dirty sources and looking for other avenues.
I think we need to define acceptable risk in terms of what we produce and the effects it may have, first on us and the other species on which we rely for food or are in the food chain of those organisms. It is an ecological, not environmental approach. Maintain balance in the natural systems by not disrupting them to the point where they break down,  as opposed to trying to preserve dynamic systems as a static snapshot of themselves. Where possible, when that balance has broken down, identify the critical element(s) and repair the system. At times, that approach will conflict with human interests, because those are the interests that caused the breakdown of the system in the first place, as an unintended consequence.
For industrial pollution, this would involve removing toxic levels of organic and inorganic compounds and elements from groundwater, for example.
Personally, I believe there is anthropogenic climate change occurring, but not nearly at the rates some have claimed.
On this we differ in order of magnitude, but I agree humans are not having the effects predicted by the models. (Others would go back to the proverbial drawing board, but the dogmatic insistence of the proponents makes me question their veracity and motives.)

I'd say we're in a lot of agreement that there are misplaced priorities.
To put it mildly.
If we get rid of the activist wing of the EPA, and just look at the rest, we see that EPA has gone a long way toward rationality.. such as going to more risk-based approaches, where higher levels of contaminants are allowed to remain, if a risk assessment shows no risk for the future use of the land.  For example, contaminated industrial land doesn't need to be cleaned up to pristine unless it's going to be residential. 
I'm going to add adjacent watersheds--and define that to mean navigable waters. heavy metal or toxic organic leachates can affect the food chain. Chances are industrial land which was utilized prior to restrictions is adjacent to such waterways. If research should be aimed at something, that is the remediation of soils in as economically friendly a fashion as possible, with the intent to remove toxins and excess metals and place those when feasible back into the supply chain (the market). Something similar has been done at the Anaconda pit, removing copper, et. al. from the groundwater there.
They just put a deed restriction on the property so it never can be used for a daycare or homes without more cleanup.
That may ignore the potential for leachates contaminating groundwater in adjacent areas, although that 'tainted soil' can continue as an industrial site. There may well be a standard to which such soils or sites could be remediated which is sufficient for limited exposure in an industrial environment, which would not be considered 'safe' for habitation or daycare centers. Considering the uptake in childhood would be likely more severe, fetal development would also have to be taken into account. I would like to see an alternative to the 'dig it up and move it elsewhere' approach so commonly used, which just kicks the can onto someone else's road.

These standards could be defined by solid research at the Federal Level, and more likely so if the research ended with suggestions which State regulators could implement, as applicable, or, if the geography or geology of a particular region or area require more intense standards, those could be implemented for that area, rather than imposed as a blanket regulation on areas which will not have the problems those areas have.

An example would be auto emissions standards, which should be different for Muddy Gap, Wyoming versus Los Angeles, California.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:06:55 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2016, 08:19:31 am »
The Left plays this game of personalization and polarization:

- I say the EPA should not operate in secret and the Left screams at me that I must want a polluted planet.

- I say the EPA should follow U.S. law like everybody else and the Left labels me an eco-terrorist.

If the Left insists on working right out of Alinksy's playbook Rules for Radicals then so be it - two can play that game.  As Obama says, "don't bring a knife to a gunfight".  Understanding that it is useless to try to sit down like adults and work through issues step by step in a logical fashion is the first step in winning the battle.

Let's begin by calling these rogue government agencies who create their own private fiefdoms and operate at whim by their own rules exactly what they are - Communists.

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 12:14:27 am »

How about some real science presented in a way that is simple to understand?
Nature controls the amount of CO2 far more than the combination of all the humans that live or have ever lived.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BC1l4geSTP8