Author Topic: Morning After Pill Touted by Liberals Doesn't Work for Women Over 176 Pounds  (Read 3000 times)

Offline happyg

Nicole Bailey
In a major blow to birth control proponents, the European equivalent of Plan B - known as the "morning after pill" - now includes a warning that the contraceptive is not effective for women over 165 pounds and does not work at all for women over 176 pounds. The implications are staggering: according to the Centers for Disease Control, the average weight of an American woman over 20 is 166.2 pounds.

Feminist outlet Jezebel pointed out that the saga began with a 2011 study:
...a 2011 study out of the University of Edinburgh, Scotland that found that "the risk of pregnancy was more than threefold greater for obese women compared with women with normal body mass index, whichever EC [Emergency Contraception] was taken." They also found that the risk of pregnancy was particularly high if that emergency contraception was made of levonorgestrel, the hormone found in many of the major over-the-counter morning after pills sold in the United States, like Plan B One-Step. The study recommended that overweight women use IUDs.
HRA Pharma, the European manufacturer of a drug essentially identical to America's Plan B, has followed up on the findings of that study and concluded that it is time to warn women that "the drug is completely ineffective for women who weigh more than 176 pounds and begins to lose effectiveness in women who weigh more than 165 pounds," reports Mother Jones.

This is a - no pun intended - huge problem for American women, most of whom are overweight and are using the morning after pill in increasing proportions.

Between 2006-2011, 11% of sexually experienced American women aged 15-44 has used emergency contraception - a group equivalent to 5.8 million women. Within that demographic, the percentages were even higher for the youngest: 14% of those aged 15-19 and 23% of those aged 20-24 had used emergency contraception.
It is worth noting that the study only included data through 2010, and all trends point to increasing use of emergency contraception like Plan B. Many recent events encouraged the use of the morning after pill, including: Obamacare's insurance-covered contraception mandate, the FDA's approval earlier this year of non-prescription morning after pills, and the late 2012 push by pediatricians to expand birth control access to girls under age 17.

It is tragic that so many women who bought into the massive liberal campaign to expand use of the drug are not only using an ineffective method of birth control but are still operating under a false peace of mind. Many celebrated that emergency contraception would lower abortion rates by preventing conception, but if the pill is truly ineffective for most American women then it is hard to believe that it has decreased the rate of unwanted pregnancy.

Although Plan B is the most well-known American morning after pill, other similar emergency contraceptives are also implicated. These include:
•Next Choice One Dose
•My Way
•Levonorgestrel Tablets (generic two-pill products)
•ella (prescription only)

At this point, neither the FDA nor major birth control manufacturers have responded to the developments in Europe or issued similar warnings. It is absolutely critical that users of birth control look past the propaganda of the drug's supporters and inform themselves. An unwanted pregnancy is not worth the risk.
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/nicolebailey/2013/11/25/morning-after-pill-ineffective-for-women-heavier-than-176-pounds-n1752912?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Offline musiclady

So, how many women does this involve if the average weight is now over 166?

LOTS. 

All of whom think that when using this pill they can kill their babies, no muss, no fuss.

(btw, the average height is somewhere around 5'3"................we're in trouble, folks.  This ain't healthy).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline happyg

If the pill doesn't work on obese women, what happens to the baby if she gets pregnant? Will the pill have any effect on the baby? Will babies end up like the ones who were products of thalidomide in the fifties?

Offline musiclady

If the pill doesn't work on obese women, what happens to the baby if she gets pregnant? Will the pill have any effect on the baby? Will babies end up like the ones who were products of thalidomide in the fifties?

Wow.  That's a good question, happy.

Since the baby doesn't matter to the pro-abortion left, they probably won't bother to find out, nor to let us know if they do, what happens to the baby after this pill is taken and "doesn't work."

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline xfreeper

Morning After Pill Touted by Liberals Doesn't Work for Women Over 176 Pounds

There is a bad joke in there but I'm not going to be the one

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Morning After Pill Touted by Liberals Doesn't Work for Women Over 176 Pounds

There is a bad joke in there but I'm not going to be the one

There are way too many to be made.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Wow.  That's a good question, happy.

Since the baby doesn't matter to the pro-abortion left, they probably won't bother to find out, nor to let us know if they do, what happens to the baby after this pill is taken and "doesn't work."
As I understand it, the morning-after pill is designed to prevent implantation by spiking certain hormone levels. If the zygote has already implanted in the uterus, it is no longer directly affected.

Of course, pumping that much hormone into a human body is a recipe for cancer or other problems, which is the real hazard of abusing them.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

As I understand it, the morning-after pill is designed to prevent implantation by spiking certain hormone levels. If the zygote has already implanted in the uterus, it is no longer directly affected.

Of course, pumping that much hormone into a human body is a recipe for cancer or other problems, which is the real hazard of abusing them.

Question.............with this process, why would a woman's weight affect how it works?  Why wouldn't spiking hormone levels affect the uterus the same in different women, regardless of weight?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Question.............with this process, why would a woman's weight affect how it works?  Why wouldn't spiking hormone levels affect the uterus the same in different women, regardless of weight?

Dosages are by body weight for nearly all medications. The amount of anesthetic needed to put me out, for example, would probably put you in a box. The morning after pill is the maximum safe dose for an average person - the average may have changed, but the dosage in the actual pill has not.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

Dosages are by body weight for nearly all medications. The amount of anesthetic needed to put me out, for example, would probably put you in a box. The morning after pill is the maximum safe dose for an average person - the average may have changed, but the dosage in the actual pill has not.

I'm still having trouble with how the hormones used in this pill are affected by weight.  Lots of older women over 170 lb. must get HRT, so the amounts must be adjustable.   And if you think about it, for a tall, large structured or muscular woman, 170 isn't even heavy (5' 10" or taller......which many women are).

We're not talking obesity at this weight.  We're talking big, or chubby.   ^-^

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I'm still having trouble with how the hormones used in this pill are affected by weight.  Lots of older women over 170 lb. must get HRT, so the amounts must be adjustable.   And if you think about it, for a tall, large structured or muscular woman, 170 isn't even heavy (5' 10" or taller......which many women are).

It's a basic principle of dilution. The heavier a person is, the greater the volume its bloodstream must cover.

Let me use an analogy here. Say you have an 8-oz. glass of water and a 16-oz. glass. You put the same amount of sugar in both. The bigger glass is going to be only half as sweet as the smaller one.

The same goes in differences between a 100-lb. woman and a 200-lb. woman taking the same amount of birth-control hormones. A large woman has too much body mass for the hormones to spike high enough to prevent implantation. A smaller woman, on the other hand, will be affected far more by the same dosage.

Since the morning-after pill is just that-- one pill-- the dosage is not as easily adjustable. You could take two, but that would probably put most women OVER a safe dosage.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

True. HRT is prescribed though. Plan B is over the counter.

Did a little looking up - not much, didn't have the time - and one of the other effects of body fat is to store hormones. Get a sudden surge in hormones? The fat snatches the excess up and holds on to it, releasing it slowly again over days. Not useful when you need a surge to prevent possible implantation.

Think of it like dropping a couple tabs of acid at once. You get the trip, but it is less. Then you get a flashback weeks or even years later as some more is released from where it has been stored.

Probably explaining this badly - lack of sleep.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

It's a basic principle of dilution. The heavier a person is, the greater the volume its bloodstream must cover.

Let me use an analogy here. Say you have an 8-oz. glass of water and a 16-oz. glass. You put the same amount of sugar in both. The bigger glass is going to be only half as sweet as the smaller one.

The same goes in differences between a 100-lb. woman and a 200-lb. woman taking the same amount of birth-control hormones. A large woman has too much body mass for the hormones to spike high enough to prevent implantation. A smaller woman, on the other hand, will be affected far more by the same dosage.

Since the morning-after pill is just that-- one pill-- the dosage is not as easily adjustable. You could take two, but that would probably put most women OVER a safe dosage.

OK........ that helps.  Thanks.

The difference between a single pill and a prescription makes sense.

Offline musiclady

True. HRT is prescribed though. Plan B is over the counter.

Did a little looking up - not much, didn't have the time - and one of the other effects of body fat is to store hormones. Get a sudden surge in hormones? The fat snatches the excess up and holds on to it, releasing it slowly again over days. Not useful when you need a surge to prevent possible implantation.

Think of it like dropping a couple tabs of acid at once. You get the trip, but it is less. Then you get a flashback weeks or even years later as some more is released from where it has been stored.

Probably explaining this badly - lack of sleep.

The problem with the "fat" theory, is that there are a significant number of women at that weight who are muscular and not fat.

You can't assume that a woman who weighs 170 has extra fat,  any more than you can for a 5'10" or taller male.

That's why the BMI chart is too simplistic.   Athletic people (male and female) almost always register as overweight when they are not.

The single pill vs. prescription makes sense.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The problem with the "fat" theory, is that there are a significant number of women at that weight who are muscular and not fat.

You can't assume that a woman who weighs 170 has extra fat,  any more than you can for a 5'10" or taller male.

That's why the BMI chart is too simplistic.   Athletic people (male and female) almost always register as overweight when they are not.

The single pill vs. prescription makes sense.
With due respect, the news has been filled with the trend towards more, and more obese people in America. I see it every day.

The 5'10" lean, muscular women are included in the overall statistics, but increasing obesity is the trend.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

With due respect, the news has been filled with the trend towards more, and more obese people in America. I see it every day.

The 5'10" lean, muscular women are included in the overall statistics, but increasing obesity is the trend.

Oh, of course.

I was just bringing up the fact that every woman who weighs 170 pounds is not fat, so how fat affects hormones doesn't necessarily correlate with someone at this weight.

All you have to do is go out your door to a grocery store or a Walmart to see how overweight this country has become.  To tell the truth, the people at 170 wouldn't even be noticed.  There are a lot of women at 250+ and men over 300 who ride in carts because they can't even walk around to get their food.

It's frightening.

Offline truth_seeker

Oh, of course.

I was just bringing up the fact that every woman who weighs 170 pounds is not fat, so how fat affects hormones doesn't necessarily correlate with someone at this weight.

All you have to do is go out your door to a grocery store or a Walmart to see how overweight this country has become.  To tell the truth, the people at 170 wouldn't even be noticed.  There are a lot of women at 250+ and men over 300 who ride in carts because they can't even walk around to get their food.

It's frightening.
People tend to have the appetites and eating habits of people who work hard all day, but they barely move muscles.

I'm heading out now, for my 5 mile walk.

Offline musiclady

People tend to have the appetites and eating habits of people who work hard all day, but they barely move muscles.

I'm heading out now, for my 5 mile walk.

Good point.  It's a combination, I think, of overeating and a sedentary lifestyle.

I think I've heard the statistic that only 5% of adults over 21 exercise regularly.   That's scary too.

You are in a small minority of Americans who works at staying in shape.

Congrats!   :beer:

Offline truth_seeker

Good point.  It's a combination, I think, of overeating and a sedentary lifestyle.

I think I've heard the statistic that only 5% of adults over 21 exercise regularly.   That's scary too.

You are in a small minority of Americans who works at staying in shape.

Congrats!   :beer:
When I was about 28 or so, settling into a sedentary lifestyle of commuting, sitting, eating, smoking, I visited my Grandfather, who was about 80 at the time.

He was widowed, lived on his own, cooking, etc. He had a neighbor friend, and before dinner they took a brisk walk together. Maybe 2 miles or less.

Anyway, I go to visit, and he invites me to join them for their walk. She was my age. I actually lagged behind them. Sweating, huffing and puffing etc.

About 6 years after that, I took up exercise very seriously. From 1982 to present, I have tried to do AT LEAST 60 minutes of aerobic, cardio exercise per day. For about the first 22 years that meant running, but since then biking and walking.

Going right now, for another 5 mile walk, before visiting my Mother, aged nearly 89.