Author Topic: Ruling on hot sauce factory raises job worries  (Read 1196 times)

Offline flowers

Ruling on hot sauce factory raises job worries
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:00:35 pm »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HOT_SAUCE_LAWSUIT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-11-27-14-45-20

The company had no immediate comment, but a few neighbors interviewed Wednesday dismissed the complaints and worried that jobs might be lost if the plant is forced to close.

"I don't want it shut down because I think a lot of people will lose their jobs," said Marta Torres, 47. "In two years it has never smelled as much as now, but I think it's OK."

Torres said the smell wafts into her home late in the day in an area where many of her neighbors like to cook with spices.

"It's something you can deal with," she said. "It doesn't bother us."

O'Brien's preliminary injunction was issued in response to a lawsuit filed on Oct. 21 by Irwindale, a small industrial city east of Los Angeles and home to nearly 1,500 people.

It wasn't immediately known if the food company plans to appeal.

Offline SouthTexas

Re: Ruling on hot sauce factory raises job worries
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:31:03 pm »
Was this issue brought up on the smoking thread?

Guess it's not so different eh?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:04:57 pm »
Was this issue brought up on the smoking thread?

Guess it's not so different eh?

It was indeed.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline happyg

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 11:08:02 pm »
I was raised on the edge of town, and it was common to smell fertilizer from the fields.  We made comments, but didn't raise a stink, pun intended!  :silly:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 11:20:20 pm »
We had two fabric mills, an engineering works making jet engines and a lot of muck spreading, so it got pretty ripe at times, especially the muck spreading. We weren't cattle country, it was nearly all sheep, so the only readily available field fertilizer was what we delicately called Mist. Treated human sewage.

The stench on spraying days was unbelievable.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:25:42 pm »
As a little kid, I lived in a town with a sugar beet processing plant in Fort Morgan CO. Can still smell it.

Subsequently I lived in/near 3 more places with plants; Huntington Beach CA, Santa Ana CA, and Heilbronn Germany.

In Heilbronn, the farmers would bring horse drawn wagonloads to town on Saturday mornings.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 11:41:17 pm »
My small town had several factories. One was a foundry that would leave black soot everywhere. Then, there was Good year, and along with a paper mill. The trains were the worst. If clothes were hung on the line, and we heard a train, we would grab the clothes because the trains left soot on them. I remember more than once having soot fall on me, and I was wearing nice clothes. Teed me off.

We put up with a lot back then because we were aware that those factories were important for jobs, so all the discomforts were forgiven. Instead, we gave thanks for the jobs they created.

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 12:09:21 am »
When I was a kid for a few years we lived under the flightpath of jet liners landing at San Diego airport. Funny when the plane would fly over the house the TV reception would go out.  When I first moved there it was anoying. Later I didn't even notice it.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 12:10:45 am »
Back in the day, when Orange County was first being developed for homes, my sister and B-I-L bought a nice new home in Cypress. Everything was quite delightful with the exception of a nearby hog farm which had a fragrance all its own.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline happyg

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 12:51:46 am »
Back in the day, when Orange County was first being developed for homes, my sister and B-I-L bought a nice new home in Cypress. Everything was quite delightful with the exception of a nearby hog farm which had a fragrance all its own.

My sister and her husband were hog farmers. When I would visit, I'd leave the windows up in my car to ward off flies. One time, I didn't, and had at least a hundred of those suckers buzzing around. Another time, a mouse or rat got into my car through the engine. I always had fun at her house, but it wasn't fun when it was time to leave!

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 01:14:08 am »

Virginia Beach was the same way.  The built all of these exclusive condos and so many homes the local roads were overwhelmed, and five miles down the road in Chesapeake was a huge hog farm and the stench in the mornings when the wind was right would peel wallpaper....

What was even more fun in Virginia was getting caught behind a hog truck heading for Smithfield Hams (Motto: "The only thing we waste is the squeal") and being forced to follow it through one of the many tunnels in the area....

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 06:47:29 pm »
Virginia Beach was the same way.  The built all of these exclusive condos and so many homes the local roads were overwhelmed, and five miles down the road in Chesapeake was a huge hog farm and the stench in the mornings when the wind was right would peel wallpaper....

What was even more fun in Virginia was getting caught behind a hog truck heading for Smithfield Hams (Motto: "The only thing we waste is the squeal") and being forced to follow it through one of the many tunnels in the area....

Flew into NC to steal first granddaughter for Christmas one year when son was stationed on the east coast.   Shortly after Thanksgiving if I recall, also a month or so after a hurricane had gone through.  From the plane, you could see pigs scattered among the downed trees.  Didn't realize half of them had drowned until I got off the plane.  The stench was almost unbearable.  Saw some of the same further up the coast when he was in Portsmouth, but it was not near as bad further south. 

Offline happyg

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 07:27:22 pm »
Sometimes, we all have to put up with a little stink. I dog sat my son's Boston Terrier for a couple hours today. He stunk up the entire house. I don't know what they are feeding him, but I hope they change his diet!  :silly: