Author Topic: Reuters Poll: Americans Back Iran Deal by 2-to-1 Margin  (Read 1425 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Reuters Poll: Americans Back Iran Deal by 2-to-1 Margin
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:45:43 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx?nodeid=538909

Newsmax
Reuters Poll: Americans Back Iran Deal by 2-to-1 Margin
Wednesday, November 27, 2013 06:13 AM

By: REUTERS

Americans back last weekend's nuclear deal with Iran by a 2-to-1 margin and are very wary of the United States resorting to military action against Tehran even if the historic diplomatic effort falls through, a Reuters/Ipsos poll showed on Tuesday.

The findings were rare good news in the polls for President Barack Obama, whose approval ratings have dropped in recent weeks because of the botched rollout of his signature healthcare reform law.

According to the Reuters/Ipsos survey, 44 percent of Americans support the interim deal reached between Iran and six world powers in Geneva, and 22 percent oppose it.

While indicating little trust among Americans toward Iranian intentions, the survey also underscored a strong desire to avoid new U.S. military entanglements after long, costly wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Even if the Iran deal fails, 49 percent want the United States to increase sanctions and 31 percent think it should launch further diplomacy. But only 20 percent want U.S. military force to be used against Iran.

The precision of Reuters/Ipsos online polls is measured using a credibility interval. In this case, the poll - which was conducted from Sunday through Tuesday with 591 respondents - has a credibility interval of plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Reuters Poll: Americans Back Iran Deal by 2-to-1 Margin
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:01:20 pm »
I almost did a spittake when reading this headline... then I read the specifics. 44-22.

That 44 is Obama's base, which will support him no matter what he does.

The other 56 either oppose it or have no idea what's going on.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 02:11:58 pm »
I almost did a spittake when reading this headline... then I read the specifics. 44-22.

Also look at the moe 4.9%..this poll is junk
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:27:13 pm »
More frightening to me is the 34% who either don't have a clue or don't care either way. That is a scary high figure, however you slice it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:28:21 pm »
Look closely at the fine print. The poll was conducted at Reuters headquarters, online in the cafeteria ...

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 10:18:02 am »
It seems most people support Obama - until the truth comes out.  They want to believe the government is working for their benefit but without fail eventually find that isn't the truth about the Obama administration. :thud:

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 04:29:30 pm »

His hardcore base is about 25%.  Then there are another 25% of the "low information voters" who back him because the media says too and their friends on Twitter and Bookface love him.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 04:41:28 pm »
While Hitler built up his forces, the US remained determinedly anti-involvement in another European war.

Even after 9/11/2001 our citizens wish to avoid war. It sure doesn't help that Bush-Obama let the two wars drag on so long, with such uncertain conclusions.

Let Iran or somebody else miscalculate and strike us, and it would change.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 05:35:07 pm »
Would love to see one of those "man on the street" surveys asking people to explain details of the Deal. Any detail. The vast majority would not be able to answer accurately.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 05:46:59 pm »
Would love to see one of those "man on the street" surveys asking people to explain details of the Deal. Any detail. The vast majority would not be able to answer accurately.

90% couldn't even find Iran on a map.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 06:09:13 pm »
90% couldn't even find Iran on a map.
Could that 90% even know where to get a map?

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 06:16:42 pm »
Could that 90% even know where to get a map?

They'd have to ask Siri.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 08:02:06 pm »

That's because they are listening to people who are no more qualified to negotiate nuclear weapons deals than they are managing your healthcare. 

The bottom line here is that al-Reuters is one of those news agencies who are desperately trying to manufacture cover for Obama and how it is getting increasingly impossible to do so.  In the end al-Reuters will end up with even less credibility than AP, NBC, MSNBS, etc......

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 02:25:17 am »
[[ Let Iran or somebody else miscalculate and strike us, and it would change. ]]

Things would sure change, you're right about that.

But I sense they wouldn't change the way you're thinking they might.

Let's just suppose, for the sake of argument, that Iran smuggled a couple of nukes into the US, and detonated them in major cities (New York and DC come to mind as the prime targets).

If this happened, you'd probably see at least 40% of the population, maybe more, call for "accommodation" to Iranian demands. And perhaps a sizable portion of that 40% ready to surrender outright, if it would bring "peace", and if it meant that we did not have to go to war.

If, after such an attack, the Iranian demand was that the USA "convert" to islam, I'd reckon 30% or more of the population would swallow that.

Sorry to be cynical. But we live in dangerous, changing times. I don't have a lot of faith that Americans are willing or able to "do the right thing" any more...

Offline raml

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 09:28:04 am »
Not a good poll I don't believe that for a minute. No I don't want war either but I want sanctions on Iran and no money that was frozen given to them so I certainly don't agree with the agreement these knuckleheads came up with. It is worse than what we were doing with Iran before they signed this treaty. Iran and only Iran won with this treaty and if the majority of the citizens agree with this treaty then they are worse than dumb they are totally ignorant and not worthy of being citizens of this country.