Author Topic: Buffalo teacher sends note to parents regarding smelly kids, dirty clothes  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

The note:

The consequences:

"It is a health and safety concern. It also makes it difficult for me to be close to them or even want to touch them. Enough said," she said.

Parents complained and the school board launched an investigation, which the Buffalo News reports ended with Dunnigan being disciplined.

"Everybody on the board was appalled by that, everybody," said board member James Sampson at a meeting, adding, "We're very concerned about what this communicates to little kids and to families."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/teacher-complains-parents-smelly-kids-article-1.1529291

This is pre-K. Kids are between 3 and 4 years old. I had no idea we subjected them to school so early and am also shocked so many parents would send their little ones out filthy enough to provoke this reaction.

Sad times.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Buffalo teacher sends note to parents regarding smelly kids, dirty clothes
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 01:54:51 am »
If this is the case it sounds like a case for CPS.. I take better care of my dog than this... she has a growth on the inside of her leg and kept licking it so she now wears tights .. she has a pair for each day of the week and I wash them before she wears them again - and she doesn't soil them, I just change them like I change my underwear - daily.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:58:33 am »
I just change them like I change my underwear - daily.

Daily? Really? That's a novel idea.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:00:33 am »
My guess is that some of these kids still wet the bed or wear diapers to bed and are not cleaned up in the morning..just one of many possibilities
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:06:40 am »
My guess is that some of these kids still wet the bed or wear diapers to bed and are not cleaned up in the morning..just one of many possibilities

Whatever it is is very sad -- I've seen kids like this and it breaks my heart. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 02:07:35 am »

Yep.. imagine that... and I clean up dog poop in the yard twice a day, too.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 02:36:38 am »

Yep.. imagine that

Aw, Rapunzel, I was just funning you. At least I had the good sense not to ask if you share.

Offline raml

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 05:18:13 pm »
I am not sure what to say about this. I remember a family that went to the same private school I did but on scholarship. The younger members  all looked like they hadn't had a bath ever. Their skin tone was always mixed with dirt and their clothes too. Once they got into high school they suddenly were clean and but still stunk. We were talked to by teachers who let us know to never put them down for being smelly or dirty they were very poor this was done when they weren't in class since Mary Ann one of the members of this family was a classmate of mine. I found it funny that the older ones somehow managed to get a hold of soap and be clean it was just the elementary members that looked dirty including their uniforms the white blouse always being grey. I think it would have been a blessing for those children if the teachers had sent some soap home with them and let the parents know to clean their children. I have no idea why the older siblings didn't make sure the younger were clean for school. Mary Ann actually didn't look clean until her junior year it seemed to take her longer to use soap that is all it would have taken is some soap for their hands and face and detergent for their clothes. They stunk pretty much all through their school years since they didn't seem to own deodorant  either.  We had other scholarship students that all were very clean and came from very large families too. I always wondered why this family didn't have soap at home or maybe didn't know how to use it. I of course never asked and was always nice to Mary Ann she was a very nice girl and very funny so she was fun to be around you just had to overlook her appearance and try not to hold your nose. I just can't understand parents sending dirty smelly kids to school no matter what their ages.