Author Topic: Obama’s call to close Vatican embassy is ‘slap in the face’ to Roman Catholics  (Read 1391 times)

Offline happyg

The Obama administration, in what’s been called an egregious slap in the face to the Vatican, has moved to shut down the U.S. Embassy to the Holy See — a free-standing facility — and relocate offices onto the grounds of the larger American Embassy in Italy.

The new offices will be in a separate building on the property, Breitbart reported.

And while U.S. officials are touting the relocation as a security measure that’s a cautionary reaction to last year’s attacks on America's facility in Benghazi, several former American envoys are raising the red flag.

It’s a “massive downgrade of U.S.-Vatican ties,” said former U.S. Ambassador James Nicholson in the National Catholic Reporter. “It’s turning this embassy into a stepchild of the embassy to Italy. The Holy See is a pivot point for international affairs and a major listening post for the United States, and … [it’s] an insult to American Catholics and to the Vatican.”

Mr. Nicholson — whose views were echoed by former envoys Francis Rooney, Mary Ann Glendon, Raymond Flynn and Thomas Melady — also called the justification for closing the existing facility a “smokescreen,” Breitbart reported.

“That’s like saying people get killed on highways because they drive cars on them,” he said in the report. “We’re not a pauper nation … if we want to secure an embassy, we certainly can.”

Moreover, the existing facility has “state of the art” security, he said.

Mr. Flynn, meanwhile, said the administration’s announcement reflects a hostility toward the Catholic Church.

“It’s not just those who bomb churches and kill Catholics in the Middle East who are our antagonists, but it’s also those who restrict our religious freedoms and want to close down our embassy to the Holy See,” he said in the National Catholic Reporter. “[There’s no] diplomatic or political benefit to the United States” from the relocation at all, he added.

Catholic Vote, a publication for the Church community, called the move “an unmistakable slap in the face” that clearly communicates that the United States cares little for the diplomatic facility.

And Mr. Nicholson went on, as Breitbart reported: “It’s another manifestation of the antipathy of this administration both to Catholics and to the Vatican — and to Christians in the Middle East. This is a key post for intermediation in so many sovereignties but particularly in the Middle East. This is anything but a good time to diminish the stature of this post. To diminish the stature of this post is to diminish its influence.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/26/obamas-call-close-holy-see-embassy-slap-face-catho/#.UpThJ-dXhbk.twitter#ixzz2lmD9KnSO
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
I'll be convinced that 0bama is not a Muslim, closet Muslim, or a Muslim sympathizer when I hear him refer to the "Holy Bible" like he has referred to the "Holy Koran".  In the meantime, I won't be shocked to hear that the Saudi embassy will be split into 3 parts, 2 of which will be located in Medina and Mecca.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline Relic

Jews voted for Obama, and he's cutting Israel's throat.

Catholics voted for Obama, and there is this.

Given the opportunity, Jews and Catholics would likely vote for Obama again. It's mind boggling.

Offline flowers

Another attack on Religion by Obama.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The rationale is hilarious. Let's review: Benghazi is in Libya, a country that was massively destabilized by the assassination of its leader (Qaddafi) and was known to have Islamic terrorists in the area.

The Vatican has been governed in a line of succession dating back nearly 2000 years and has been at peace for centuries.

You couldn't stampede cattle through that country, let alone conduct a terror attack.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline raml

I was raised Catholic and went to their schools for 12 yrs. Catholics are raised on guilt so they make good liberals. I though once grown and having read and learned truth from the bible became a non denominational Christian and make a good conservative because I believe in my salvation because of my beliefs not earning it which is impossible. That is why Catholics feel so guilty they think they can earn salvation by trying to do good works and help the poor by using the government and forcing all taxpayers to be included in their giving instead of doing it the Christian way as an individual who does it because he knows that Jesus would do this and we want to be like him since he is our mentor and the reason we are alive. There are Christians who are Catholic but it is not to me a Christian religion it believes more in pomp and ceremonies and tradition more than its members. My one daughter in law is from the Philippine islands there the Catholic church use to charge even the poor for baptism and first communion outrageous fees more than a middle class person in the united states would be charged since here they only ask for what ever you feel you can afford or did when I was growing up. When a Catholic died there they couldn't be buried until they paid for the funeral and plot of land so they sometimes had their dead in their homes for over a year waiting to be buried. What the Catholic church did in 3rd world countries makes me sick the church certainly put money ahead of the welfare of it's members.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I was raised Catholic and went to their schools for 12 yrs. Catholics are raised on guilt so they make good liberals. I though once grown and having read and learned truth from the bible became a non denominational Christian and make a good conservative because I believe in my salvation because of my beliefs not earning it which is impossible. That is why Catholics feel so guilty they think they can earn salvation by trying to do good works and help the poor by using the government and forcing all taxpayers to be included in their giving instead of doing it the Christian way as an individual who does it because he knows that Jesus would do this and we want to be like him since he is our mentor and the reason we are alive. There are Christians who are Catholic but it is not to me a Christian religion it believes more in pomp and ceremonies and tradition more than its members. My one daughter in law is from the Philippine islands there the Catholic church use to charge even the poor for baptism and first communion outrageous fees more than a middle class person in the united states would be charged since here they only ask for what ever you feel you can afford or did when I was growing up. When a Catholic died there they couldn't be buried until they paid for the funeral and plot of land so they sometimes had their dead in their homes for over a year waiting to be buried. What the Catholic church did in 3rd world countries makes me sick the church certainly put money ahead of the welfare of it's members.

Just yesterday he was on record demanding governments spend more money on social welfare programs and decrying capitalism.

As much as he is doing many things right, he is increasingly driving into heresy. As much as I was hoping for an improvement over Benedict, Francis is making some HUGE mistakes.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I was raised Catholic and went to their schools for 12 yrs. Catholics are raised on guilt so they make good liberals. I though once grown and having read and learned truth from the bible became a non denominational Christian and make a good conservative because I believe in my salvation because of my beliefs not earning it which is impossible. That is why Catholics feel so guilty they think they can earn salvation by trying to do good works and help the poor by using the government and forcing all taxpayers to be included in their giving instead of doing it the Christian way as an individual who does it because he knows that Jesus would do this and we want to be like him since he is our mentor and the reason we are alive.

I am so sorry you left the Church - though happy you have not lost your faith and have found a harbor and sanctuary and peace! Is your way - or my way - the right way? Who knows? Let's both wait as long as possible to find out, considering the alternative.

The man that welcomed me into the Church - a very wise priest who spent years ministering to the toughest crowd you can imagine as an army Chaplain - told me that you can not earn your way to heaven. It is impossible and the true meaning of the parable of the camel through the eye of a needle. You are, however, duty bound to assist the less fortunate. You. Personally. Your money, your time. Your cloak to share. Your own loaf to tear. No one else may do it for you or decide for you.

After 35 years, I am figuring he was right. At least I sleep well, most nights.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline sinkspur

No surprise here, you Catholic-hating cretin you.  You have no idea what the Catholic Church really is so you should shut up about it.  Most of your impressions sound like Jack Chick stuff.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Just yesterday he was on record demanding governments spend more money on social welfare programs and decrying capitalism.

As much as he is doing many things right, he is increasingly driving into heresy. As much as I was hoping for an improvement over Benedict, Francis is making some HUGE mistakes.

Francis is not "driving into heresy."  He hasn't altered a single teaching of the Church.

You misread his Apostolic Exhortation.  Pope Francis decried "unfettered capitalism" (which doesn't exist anywhere), and urged more attention be paid to the poor.   

Really radical stuff.

Offline Cincinnatus

Typical personal attack and wholly inappropriate: you Catholic-hating cretin you
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

Typical personal attack and wholly inappropriate: you Catholic-hating cretin you

I agree. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

I agree.

raml hates Catholics.   If you don't know that, you haven't read his posts on the subject.

Offline Rapunzel

raml hates Catholics.   If you don't know that, you haven't read his posts on the subject.

Does not excuse the name-calling.  You can express your opinion without calling a person a name.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline aligncare

Wait a minute! Someone here in this discussion just this evening called me self-centered.

Offline aligncare

... truth is not a defense for such a slanderous attack.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Jews voted for Obama, and he's cutting Israel's throat.

Catholics voted for Obama, and there is this.

Given the opportunity, Jews and Catholics would likely vote for Obama again. It's mind boggling.

The only thing I can figure here...is the instinct to survive playing out.

The Jews here...including the very wealthy ones like Katzenburg...who hosted Obama at the office headquarters while campaigning in California...are also taking the Arab/Palestinian at their word.  Fight it out with Israel, but I supported you and not to be associated with the Zionist State of Israel.

IOW...if you destroy Israel, you have no reason to turn on me.

Obama is playing Katzenburg like a fiddle.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline raml

I don't hate Catholics just the church structure with it's phony leaders. Some are good Christians. My parents were Catholic and I loved them every minute of their long lives they were real Christians to their very core when they visited me I took them to a Catholic church on Sundays. I love my brother and my nieces and nephews who are still going to a Catholic church my sisters have left the church too but are very strong Christians. I love some of the priests that I was close to for many years even after I left that church but I am not Catholic anymore and I know more about how the Catholic church works than most people. I also was happy when Father Romps a good friend of mine finally left the church to get married because he wanted children and I keep in touch with him and he is still a very very good Christian who now has 3 children and a loving wife. Sinkspur I am a woman not a man and I rarely even mention the Catholic church in my posts so I doubt anyone would come away thinking I hated Catholics although I don't like a pope who changes what the bible says and never will no matter what church leader does that Catholic or not. I believe in Christianity and the bible not a church that has used politics for many centuries to get its way.

Offline raml

Sinkspur look around at the liberal politicians that come out of a Catholic upbringing that is all I was saying in my first post and it is the truth the church wants everyone feeling guilty so they can keep their hand in your pocket. The church produces more liberals than most and there is a reason for that. I have friends from high school that still walk around feeling guilty even after years of therapy. My dad turned Catholic for my mom and because of him my mom became a conservative like him her family was not conservative and still aren't but my family members who are still Catholic are. My dads family are Methodist and non denominational he was the only Catholic. Catholic families tend to be pretty liberal but maybe after Obama they will wake up but I am not counting on it.