Author Topic: Brit Hume: Democrats rush to the nuclear option shows their 2014 midterm pessimism  (Read 1339 times)

Offline happyg

On Fox News Channel’s “Special Report” Monday, senior political analyst Brit Hume said Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid used the so-called nuclear option so President Obama can fill courts with liberal judges.

By ending the minority party’s ability to filibuster certain presidential nominees, Hume told host Bret Baier, Senate Democrats can fulfill a liberal agenda of creating more left-leaning courts and jurisprudence.

“In invoking the so-called nuclear option to do away with filibusters on judicial and certain other presidential nominations, Senate Democrats did something both parties had previously threatened, but never done,” Hume said. “The reason they did it was simple. It was all about the judges — and specifically, as you heard, those who sit on the federal appeals court here in Washington. It is the most important appeals court in the land. It has jurisdiction over many of the regulatory agencies based here and its members are often leading candidates to ascend to the Supreme Court itself.”

“Democrats count on liberal judges on that appeals court for two purposes — one is to back regulations on the private sector, which they’re so fond of imposing,” Hume continued. “The other is to protect the legal rights such as abortion that the Supreme Court discovered in the Constitution during the heyday of liberal jurisprudence that ended largely around 1980. These regulations and rights are perpetually vulnerable politically in a nation where only 20 percent of people describe themselves as liberal. Thus, judges with lifetime appointments are crucial to the Democrat’s cause, which is why, despite the light workload of that appeals court here in Washington, they are so determined to fill vacancies while they still control the Senate. Until last week, they lacked the veto-proof majority to confirm Obama nominees. Blowing up the filibuster rule, which had stood for 225 years, took care of that.”

Hume added that while this likely won’t be something that will sway voters, it does show the Democratic Party lacks confidence in its 2014 midterm election prospects.

“I doubt that people will be voting on this issue,” Hume replied. “But it does tell you something about it, Bret. If the Democrats were confident that they would still hold the Senate in 2014, there wouldn’t have been so much urgency to do this and do it now and get it done before they either lost their majority or became even more vulnerable to a filibuster through a larger number of Republicans. I think they’re worried about 2014 and thought, ‘We’d better do this and do it now and we’ve got to fill as many of these appeals court vacancies as we can because if we don’t, the Republicans will, and then our agenda will be in great difficulty.’”

Jeff Poor
Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/26/brit-hume-democrats-rush-to-the-nuclear-option-shows-their-2014-midterm-pessimism/#ixzz2llKqG8fz

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Wouldn't you just love to see their internal polling numbers?

They know what's coming for sure!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Wouldn't you just love to see their internal polling numbers?

They know what's coming for sure!

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but the cheating mechanisms are already in place - the Dems are NOT going to lose in 2014.  It is too crucial to them.  Just like 2012.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but the cheating mechanisms are already in place - the Dems are NOT going to lose in 2014.  It is too crucial to them.  Just like 2012.

Those mechanisms can only work in close races Alice and I don't think this is going to be close!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Those mechanisms can only work in close races Alice and I don't think this is going to be close!

I hope you're right Bigun, my cynicism is running high anymore. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Relic

I hope you're right Bigun, my cynicism is running high anymore.

Me too. A lying, government never held accountable. A media that would do or say anything to protect that government. And a public that can't be bothered.

The public is convinced that Republicans are for the corporations only. That the Tea Party is hyper extreme. That Democrats care, love the people and take care of the little guy.

Next year is a lifetime away, politically. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Democrats win, in spite of all that is going on.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Democrats win, in spite of all that is going on.

If that happens the country we have always know as the USA will have faded into history! There will be something called the USA remaining but it won't be anything like what we grew up knowing.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

If that happens the country we have always know as the USA will have faded into history! There will be something called the USA remaining but it won't be anything like what we grew up knowing.

At which point it may lead to a result none of us are prepared for.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

If they get immigration...another 11+ million democrat votes. 2014 won't be close then.

Offline Rapunzel

If they get immigration...another 11+ million democrat votes. 2014 won't be close then.

Which begs the question. Karl Rove's American Crossroads has applied $100,000 to the push for amnesty yet didn't give one red cent to Cuchinelli in Virginia for Governor and he support Muslim Grover Norquist...  I think Rove is as much the problem as Obama - given his actions - it is all about money and power.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Which begs the question. Karl Rove's American Crossroads has applied $100,000 to the push for amnesty yet didn't give one red cent to Cuchinelli in Virginia for Governor and he support Muslim Grover Norquist...  I think Rove is as much the problem as Obama - given his actions - it is all about money and power.

It's all about preserving the inside the beltway Washington status quo at all costs!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

It's all about preserving the inside the beltway Washington status quo at all costs!

Me, too

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Bigun writes:
[[ Those mechanisms can only work in close races Alice and I don't think this is going to be close! ]]

The problem is that in some of the more critical states, such as Virginia, Florida, Colorado, the demographics have shifted to where it's all-but-impossible NOT to have "a close race".

Who thought Virginia would vote for Obama? Not once, but twice.
Who thought Florida would vote for Obama? Not once, but twice.
Who thought Colorado would vote for Obama? Not once, but twice.

Although I previously discounted that democratic cheating had made that much of a difference in these contests, I'm beginning to wonder: just how deeply is their "cheating machine" entrenched?

And with all the newfangled rules about voting (motor voter, same day registration, electronic voting machines that produce questionable results, etc.) I'm losing confidence that "the system" -- the mechanical process of voting -- can retain the integrity with which it held its credibility for more than two centuries (at least in most places other than Chicago, heh).

I wish I could believe all the happy-talk about how the Pubbies are sittin' pretty for 2014. But I'm a cynical realist.

I'll believe it when I see it.