Author Topic: How Beauty Procedures Looked In The 1930s-40s  (Read 1509 times)

Offline flowers

How Beauty Procedures Looked In The 1930s-40s
« on: November 25, 2013, 11:49:57 pm »
http://www.boredpanda.com/weird-funny-historic-beauty-products/

What was it about inventors in the 20th century that made some of their inventions so weird? Take just about anything you can think of, and someone probably invented a really weird version of it at some point in the 20th century. There have been tons of weird inventions in the past, but they even managed to make something like beauty products look weird and terrifying.

Today, women curl their hair by putting it up into plastic spools or using a curling iron. Back then, they wound their hair up into a mess of thick, heated wires. They also wore all manner of strange and terrifying masks in an attempt to perfect their skin. Today, women simply need some cream or, in the worst case, a face mask cream and some cucumbers.

On the other hand, a few of these look awesome – who hasn’t had the sort of morning where they’d kill for a Hangover Heaven mask fresh out of the freezer?

Offline Rapunzel

Re: How Beauty Procedures Looked In The 1930s-40s
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:23:14 am »
I still cannot believe how I used to sleep on rollers at night....    thank the Lord for electric blow dryers, curling irons and hot rollers.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 12:34:10 am »
Remember those hair dryers with the hose and bouffant cap, circa mid-1960s?

As a child, I fell asleep while drying my hair (didn't have the plastic hat attached at the time) and the hot hose fell onto my arm and gave me a 2d degree burn while I slept. How'd you get that scar on your arm, Mountaineer? Oh, just drying my hair.  ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 12:37:06 am »

As a child, I fell asleep while drying my hair (didn't have the plastic hat attached at the time) and the hot hose fell onto my arm and gave me a 2d degree burn while I slept. How'd you get that scar on your arm, Mountaineer? Oh, just drying my hair.  ^-^

Yep I remember those, then I got even more sophisticated and bought one of these...

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:38:08 am »
Here you go Mountaineer... a childhood pic ~LOL~

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:39:24 am »
check this out.........  no wonder women had short hair - they probably fried it short...

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:39:41 am by Rapunzel »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 12:39:30 am »
Yep, pretty much.  ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 01:20:39 am »
I still cannot believe how I used to sleep on rollers at night....    thank the Lord for electric blow dryers, curling irons and hot rollers.

Yup.  Been there, done that.  And we slept on BIG rollers, remember? 

Actually, curling irons came about in the early 20's.  Their introduction into the beauty market was touched upon in a Downton Abby episode.    I don't know why they went out of fashion until what?  The early 80's? 

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 01:31:31 am »
There is still some pretty strange practiced going on at the hair stylist that I can't explain. Can one of you ladies pleas explain what those tinfoil thingies are that they place all over womens hair when getting permanants or whatever?

Oh and why do they call them permanants?   The more accurant term would have been temporaries.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:34:09 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 01:38:12 am »

My three older sisters all used those hair dryers. I got in trouble once placing a mouse in the tube using it like a habitrail. Geeze, you think it was going to hurt it or something. Sisters are way over sensitive.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 01:38:37 am »
Oh, NavyCanDo, I really don't think you should go here:

There is still some pretty strange practiced going on at the hair stylist that I can't explain. Can one of you ladies pleas explain what those tinfoil thingies are that they place all over womens hair when getting permanants or whatever?

Oh and why do they call them permanants?   The more accurant term would have been temporaries.

It is only for we males to wonder in awe as to what women will do to themselves so they will look attractive and to appreciate the results.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 01:44:39 am »
Oh, NavyCanDo, I really don't think you should go here:

It is only for we males to wonder in awe as to what women will do to themselves so they will look attractive and to appreciate the results.

Well maybe they shouldn't let us guys into those places, but sadly there is not a barber pole left within miles.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 02:01:39 am »

I had one of these.... :whistle:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 02:24:01 am »

It is called foiling, it is what we do these days to get the sunkissed look instead of the bleached-blond look.  I am one of the people who has to add dark tones to my hair since I was born a bleached blond and it never changed...