Author Topic: Zimbabwe: Foreigners must close shops by Jan 1  (Read 250 times)

Offline flowers

Zimbabwe: Foreigners must close shops by Jan 1
« on: November 25, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »
http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Zimbabwe-Foreigners-must-close-shops-by-Jan-1-20131123

Harare - Zimbabwean authorities say they have given foreign shop-owners - mostly Chinese and Nigerian nationals - an ultimatum to shut down their businesses by 1 January.

A top official of the black empowerment ministry said only Zimbabweans had the right to run shops that have sprung up across the country and are termed foreign businesses targeted under the nation's black empowerment laws, the state-controlled Herald newspaper reported Friday.

Those laws, passed in 2007, demand foreign businesses to cede 51% control to local blacks.

The foreign shop owners have been criticized for taking retail trade opportunities from Zimbabwean traders by selling cheap imports.

Online mountaineer

Re: Zimbabwe: Foreigners must close shops by Jan 1
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »
the black empowerment ministry

:shrug:  :thud:
The skeptic is never for real. There he stands, cocktail in hand, left arm draped languorously on one end of the mantelpiece, telling you that he can't be sure of anything, not even of his own existence. I'll give you my secret method of demolishing universal skepticism in four words. Whisper to him: "Your fly is open." If he thinks knowledge is so all-fired impossible, why does he always look? — James Sire (from, The Universe Next Door)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:30:18 AM »
Real Zimbabwe banknote from 2008.......

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Conspiracy engineer. Low rates.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »
Mugabe in trouble again? He always does crap like this when the population get restless with him.
The fastest way to a man's heart? Inch to the right of the breastbone, between the fourth and fifth rib.

Every time I start to feel boring, I remember there is a monthly magazine devoted to elevators.

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf