Author Topic: 75 Years Ago  (Read 607 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
75 Years Ago
« on: November 25, 2013, 03:58:48 am »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/75-years-ago_768132.html

Nov 24, 2013 • By WILLIAM KRISTOL

In light of the Geneva Agreement, I went back to read Winston Churchill's October 5, 1938, speech in the House of Commons on the Munich Agreement. Here are a few highlights:
    I will begin by saying what everybody would like to ignore or forget but which must nevertheless be stated, namely, that we have sustained a total and unmitigated defeat. ...

It is the most grievous consequence of what we have done and of what we have left undone in the last five years - five years of futile good intentions, five years of eager search for the line of least resistance, five years of uninterrupted retreat ... five years of neglect of our defences....

Our loyal, brave people...should know the truth. They should know that there has been gross neglect and deficiency in our defences; they should know that we have sustained a defeat without a war, the consequences of which will travel far with us along our road; they should know that we have passed an awful milestone in our history ... and that the terrible words have for the time being been pronounced against the Western democracies:

"Thou art weighed in the balance and found wanting."

And do not suppose that this is the end. This is only the beginning of the reckoning. This is only the first sip, the first foretaste of a bitter cup which will be proffered to us year by year unless by a supreme recovery of moral health and martial vigour, we arise again and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/learn/speeches/speeches-of-winston-churchill/101-the-munich-agreement

Offline musiclady

Re: 75 Years Ago
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:57:52 pm »
Wow.  Both profound and prophetic.

America..................... "weighed in the balances, and found wanting."
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: 75 Years Ago
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 04:02:12 pm »
Wow.  Both profound and prophetic.

America..................... "weighed in the balances, and found wanting."

I've heard it said that "the past is but prologue" and I have found that to be all to true!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien