Author Topic: Dershowitz: Iran Deal 'Cataclysmic Error of Gigantic Proportions'  (Read 1153 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx?nodeid=538374

Newsmax
Dershowitz: Iran Deal 'Cataclysmic Error of Gigantic Proportions'
Sunday, November 24, 2013 05:30 PM

By: Greg Richter

Harvard Law professor Alan Dershowitz said Sunday that the Obama administration was naive and had possibly made a "cataclysmic error of gigantic proportions" in its deal to ease sanctions on Iran in exchange for an opening up of the Islamic Republic's nuclear program.

"I think it could turn out to be a cataclysmic error of gigantic proportions," Dershowitz said of the deal, which he described as "naive."

"It could also turn out to be successful, to be the beginning of a negotiated resolution," Dershowitz told Newsmax on Sunday. "But I think the likelihood of it being the former is considerably greater."

Dershowitz said he thought the administration of President Barack Obama did a poor job of negotiating the deal.

"I think it's thoughtful and intelligent Americans vs. naive Americans," he said.

The deal, announced late Saturday night in the United States, makes it more likely Iran will develop a nuclear bomb, likely creating the need for a future military strike by Israel or the United States, Dershowitz said.

It also increases the possibility of a nuclear arms race in the Middle East with Saudi Arabia obtaining nuclear weapons as well, he said.

The Harvard Law School professor thinks there is at best a 10 percent chance that the administration can change attitudes among Iran's Islamist leadership.

"But when you weigh that against the 30 or 40 percent chance that they're dead wrong – nuclear bomb wrong – then it's a very bad assessment of risk and benefits," he told Newsmax.

"This is first-year negotiating theory, and this administration gets a D-minus with grade inflation," Dershowitz said. "You don't let up on sanctions that are working."

Other countries, such as China, are taking the deal as a green light to do business with Iran, he said. All the nuclear experts, Iran experts and congressional experts he has spoken with oppose the deal, he said.

Israel has spoken out against the deal, and Saudi Arabia is known to be wary of Iran. But it is a mistake to think of it as a dispute between Israel and Saudi Arabia on one hand and the United States on the other, Dershowitz said. "This is a highly disputed and contested issue within the United States."

Dershowitz counts himself among the skeptics.

"I think it's a bad deal for America and a bad deal for the West," he said. "The risks to world peace are far greater than the potential benefits to world peace."

American negotiators used the wrong model, Dershowitz said. They used the model of Syria where the administration "accidentally backed into a good result instead of the North Korea model, which is much more parallel.

"North Korea does not pose a direct threat to the United States. Iran does," Dershowitz said. "You think that we'd learn from our mistakes in North Korea."

Dershowitz said that if Iran fails to comply, he hopes Congress ratchets up the sanctions once the six months are complete. But he isn't sure that will be possible since China and other nations will be doing business with them by then.

"I think we have hurt our sanction regime irretrievably by this measure," he said.

Congress should take preemptive action by passing authorization in advance to allow the president to increase sanctions and deploy the military option in the event Iran crosses a red line, Dershowitz said. That way, the president doesn't have to go to Congress after red lines are crossed.

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

"I think that would send a powerful message to Iran that the military option is still on the table," he said.

Former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton suggested the White House struck the deal out of fear that Israel would attack Iran's nuclear facilities as it did those of Iraq in 1981 and Syria in 2007.

Dershowitz said that since Israel was not consulted on the agreement, it isn't bound by it and is within its rights to defend itself.

Israel "has the absolute right to prevent a country that has threatened its destruction from developing nuclear weapons," he said. "That's a right in law, it's a right in morality, and it's a right in diplomacy."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

Re: Dershowitz: Iran Deal 'Cataclysmic Error of Gigantic Proportions'
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:54:34 pm »
Either naïve, or deliberately destructive of what's in America's best interests.............
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 05:20:09 pm »
Either naïve, or deliberately destructive of what's in America's best interests.............
He tries to aid America's and Israel's sworn islamist enemies, every chance he gets:

Libya, Egypt, Syria, Iran (in the end, probably Iraq and Afghanistan, too). And he has more than 3 years.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:43:52 pm »
He tries to aid America's and Israel's sworn islamist enemies, every chance he gets:

Libya, Egypt, Syria, Iran (in the end, probably Iraq and Afghanistan, too). And he has more than 3 years.

Exactly.

I'm not going with "naïve."  It's pretty obvious that his destruction of America is deliberate and persistent, and how better to do that than to aid and abet our worst enemies?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 06:14:30 pm »
Exactly.

I'm not going with "naïve."  It's pretty obvious that his destruction of America is deliberate and persistent, and how better to do that than to aid and abet our worst enemies?

Once is error. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline evadR

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 06:19:43 pm »
Actionable...
High Crimes and Misdemeanors
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 06:26:45 pm »
Actionable...

Agreed.

The problem is - how? You don't have the "vote of no confidence" that we have as a (relatively) simple way of getting rid of our Prime Minister. No way would impeachment make it past the Senate as it currently is, and trying to do so would ignite the Democrat base like nothing else. Even attempting to do so would be folly.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 06:36:32 pm »
Actionable...

Yeah.  Good luck with that!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 06:42:02 pm »
yep!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 07:03:12 pm »

Hmmm, I'll go with "deliberately destructive."

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 07:26:50 pm »
Actionable...

Yes indeed!

And it needs to happen regardless of whether or not he is actually removed from office!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 11:47:16 pm »
Has anyone heard a peep from McCain, Graham, Ayoette???
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 11:51:34 pm »
Has anyone heard a peep from McCain, Graham, Ayoette???
Everyone seems to be real quite these days. Schummer said something against it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 03:27:32 am »
I merely point out that his actions are High Crimes and Misdemeanors.
I don't think impeachment is the only option.. a resolution of disapproval listing all of Obama's crimes and offenses would be a start.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 03:46:26 am »
I merely point out that his actions are High Crimes and Misdemeanors.
I don't think impeachment is the only option.. a resolution of disapproval listing all of Obama's crimes and offenses would be a start.

My apologies. You see/read/hear "Impeach the SOB" so often that reminding people it is a bad idea in terms of tactics becomes second nature!  :beer:

Why does Obama offend me, as a foreigner? Skip the BS special relationship crap, this is personal. I have met only one American in my life that I did not like. Bastard saved my life so I have got to tolerate him and we keep in touch even now (I did return the favor later on). Yet most of the people I am proud to call my friends may be "loud, brash and arrogant" as the stereotype goes, but they'll also give you the food off their plate and the shirt off their back. They take the name American label proudly and emphasize the last syllable.

Obama is bleep that up. I don't like that.

Offline evadR

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »
Understood.
I'm not one of those who favors making an impeachment "statement", even if it were possible.
I am in favor of something "official" that lists all his High Crimes and Misdemeanors.
And I also think we should start using that team whenever/wherever possible.

Obama = High Crimes and Misdemeanors