Author Topic: CURL: Democrats at war: Bailing on Obama  (Read 787 times)

Offline Rapunzel

CURL: Democrats at war: Bailing on Obama
« on: November 25, 2013, 02:13:44 am »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/24/curl-democrats-war-bailing-obama/?page=all#pagebreak

CURL: Democrats at war: Bailing on Obama

By Joseph Curl

Sunday, November 24, 2013

One story the mainstream media just loves: Republicans at war. The party’s splintered to shreds, torn beyond repair, cut in two, broken asunder.

They write it week after week. The House speaker loses a vote, boom, the Republican Party is ruptured. But guess what story they never write?

This one.

The Democratic Party is ripped to tatters. The fake lovefest that broke out after Hillary Rodham Clinton wandered off into the wilderness in June 2008 is over. She’s back, and so is her troublemaking husband (who last week advised President Obama to “honor” his commitment on keeping your health insurance — and he knows about honor).

More, no one is afraid of the party’s top cop. Nearly 40 Dems bailed on him to support the “Keep Your Health Plan Act of 2013” just a day after Bubba made his pronouncement. They weren’t worried in the least about fallout or retribution. They were busy saving their own skins — which meant breaking hard from the president.

Now, here’s the thing: Republicans, contrary to media reports, were never confused about Obamacare. Not one voted for the bill Mr. Obama signed into law in 2010. That means RINOs, lefty-middle righties, conservatives, tea partyers, moderates, even mavericks — the whole big tent — stood as one in opposition to a law they knew was insanity. No dissension there.

Meanwhile, on the other side, Blue Dog Democrats, moderate lefties, Reagan D’s — the middle left — had Obamacare shoved down their throats. They ate Obamacare because they had to: The party as a whole was moving left, hard, and they had one choice — go with them, or be left behind. So, they voted en masse for Obamacare.

But everything’s changing now, fast. At stake: In the short term, the makeup of the Senate. In the long term, much more: The future of liberalism.

Obamacare (a term which, not surprisingly, the White House last week suddenly stopped using, opting for “Affordable Care Act”), is the pinnacle of liberalism. The government will take over one-sixth of the U.S. economy and make all your decisions for you. And don’t worry: your most personal information is safe with us (just ask the National Security Agency).

The hard-core left loves the ACA, warts and all. But the moderate wing of the party — yes, there are still some moderate Democrats left — is now in full dither over the rollout debacle. While the rabid lefties want to move full-speed ahead with the government takeover of well, everything moderates see danger at the polls, especially in the coming second mid-term elections, when the party of the incumbent president almost always loses seats in Congress.

What they, the worriers, see is simple: The Obamacare story has legs. By month’s end, the website is supposed to work; it won’t. By year’s end, millions are supposed to be signed up; they won’t be. The end of March 2014 is the deadline for enrollment; how soon until Mr. Obama moves that back?

“Here we are, we’re supposed to be selling this to people, and it’s all screwed up,” one lawmaker’s chief of staff told The Hill last week. “This either gets fixed or this could be the demise of the Democratic Party.”

And that, unlike the IRS scandal, the NSA scandal — all the many, many scandals that have come along and been ignored by the mainstream media — is the danger. There is no ignoring the elephant in the room (no, not New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, the mess that is Obamacare). Every day brings new horrors. And Democrats are getting mighty anxious — even, for the first time, fleeing from Mr. Obama.

“The only way he can really make it up to us is by fixing this s—t,” one Democratic House aide told The Hill.

Funny, a year ago, when a second moderate Republican got destroyed by the progressive president, the GOP was worried that it had been banished beyond the wall, destined to spend a generation in the long winter. But then, the law Mr. Obama championed began to take effect, with disastrous results. Oddly, the left doesn’t yet know this simple fact: It will only get worse — there is no other outcome.

The faith America put into Mr. Obama has been shattered — irreparably. The theoretical takeover of health care is now real, and it’s far worse than any Democrat ever imagined. Their faith is broken, too.

And now, there is no denying that the emperor has no clothes. Only Nancy Pelosi thinks everything is OK. And that should frighten the liberal left even more.

• Joseph Curl covered the White House and politics for a decade for The Washington Times and is now editor of the Drudge Report. He can be reached at josephcurl@gmail.com and on Twitter @josephcurl.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Relic

Re: CURL: Democrats at war: Bailing on Obama
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 02:39:52 pm »
The predictions of the end of liberalism, or of the Democrat party concern me. I view them like the broadcasters saying last night's Patriots-Broncos game was all but over at the half.

Democrats are relentless, and they have huge advantages. They have a complicit media, and a public that can easily be convinced to blame Republicans for everything, including the cold snap in Ohio right now.

With that in mind, this is an opening, a chance to gain ground. Republicans must band together get a message and fight like they are losing the battle, (because they are).

One of the reasons Americans don't pay attention is if you get information from more than one source, chances are, you'll get contradictory information. I can't tell you how many times I read Obama would shred the economy. The economy isn't good, but it's not shredded like the dire predictions. It really is a challenge to figure out what is going on. And the media only makes it worse. So, while I constantly complain about stupid Americans, it's not that simple. Some try, and get frustrated and just wait for whatever is going to happen.

Another thing that I think I know. Americans don't necessarily think healthcare is a right, but think everyone should have access, (a distinction with no difference). For the Republicans to win over the middle, they need to address the healthcare system. It was an identifiable problem for 20 years before Obama got a chance to do something stupid. If Republicans had driven incremental changes, it would have blunted Obama's chances. Hillarycare was the warning shot. It was ignored at a federal level.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:08:11 pm »
The predictions of the end of liberalism, or of the Democrat party concern me. I view them like the broadcasters saying last night's Patriots-Broncos game was all but over at the half.

Democrats are relentless, and they have huge advantages. They have a complicit media, and a public that can easily be convinced to blame Republicans for everything, including the cold snap in Ohio right now.

With that in mind, this is an opening, a chance to gain ground. Republicans must band together get a message and fight like they are losing the battle, (because they are).

One of the reasons Americans don't pay attention is if you get information from more than one source, chances are, you'll get contradictory information. I can't tell you how many times I read Obama would shred the economy. The economy isn't good, but it's not shredded like the dire predictions. It really is a challenge to figure out what is going on. And the media only makes it worse. So, while I constantly complain about stupid Americans, it's not that simple. Some try, and get frustrated and just wait for whatever is going to happen.

Another thing that I think I know. Americans don't necessarily think healthcare is a right, but think everyone should have access, (a distinction with no difference). For the Republicans to win over the middle, they need to address the healthcare system. It was an identifiable problem for 20 years before Obama got a chance to do something stupid. If Republicans had driven incremental changes, it would have blunted Obama's chances. Hillarycare was the warning shot. It was ignored at a federal level.

They don't come back moderate.  They return more extreme.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:30:42 pm »
It really is a challenge to figure out what is going on. And the media only makes it worse. So, while I constantly complain about stupid Americans, it's not that simple. Some try, and get frustrated and just wait for whatever is going to happen.

For the Republicans to win over the middle, they need to address the healthcare system. It was an identifiable problem for 20 years before Obama got a chance to do something stupid. If Republicans had driven incremental changes, it would have blunted Obama's chances.

:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 10:32:00 pm by Anomalism »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:44:02 am »

Yeah, like we've already won an majority in the Senate, it is a slam dunk.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln