Author Topic: Smart Bombs Keep B-52s In Business  (Read 282 times)

SPQR

Smart Bombs Keep B-52s In Business
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:06:31 PM »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Smart Bombs Keep B-52s In Business
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 09:38:59 PM »
I read an article in Aviation Leak that predicted the BUFF (Big, Ugly Fat Fellow...) could very well stick around to see 100 years of service.  That is just amazing that any aircraft could have that kind of legacy.

Dale Brown wrote a whole series of novels based on his concept of an advanced "Super Fortress" based on the B-52 airframe.  He started with a Concorde style nose, new engines, weapons, electronics......

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
I read an article in Aviation Leak that predicted the BUFF (Big, Ugly Fat Fellow...) could very well stick around to see 100 years of service.  That is just amazing that any aircraft could have that kind of legacy.

Dale Brown wrote a whole series of novels based on his concept of an advanced "Super Fortress" based on the B-52 airframe.  He started with a Concorde style nose, new engines, weapons, electronics......

Dale Brown wrote the book "Flight of the Old Dog". I really think that the USAF should not keep a bomber until 2040. There are always new SAMs that can bring down that blane.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 09:55:11 PM »
Dale Brown wrote the book "Flight of the Old Dog". I really think that the USAF should not keep a bomber until 2040. There are always new SAMs that can bring down that blane.

I'd like to see a high energy particle physics facility built and operating in high earth orbit...maybe one of the LaGrange points...there are some very interesting experiments that simply are not safe to carry out in a gravity well much less anywhere near habitable land if you wish to keep it habitable.  But up in high earth orbit a lot of things are suddenly possible that are a lot more interesting then dropping gravity bombs on a target. 

SPQR

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 10:04:10 PM »
I'd like to see a high energy particle physics facility built and operating in high earth orbit...maybe one of the LaGrange points...there are some very interesting experiments that simply are not safe to carry out in a gravity well much less anywhere near habitable land if you wish to keep it habitable.  But up in high earth orbit a lot of things are suddenly possible that are a lot more interesting then dropping gravity bombs on a target.

I think that day is coming soon. I am going to give you an article to check out. Its a briefing on SDI technology. I think that you will like it.

http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/program/docs/98-165.pdf

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf