Author Topic: Give back my health care policy  (Read 983 times)

Offline happyg

Give back my health care policy
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:16:41 pm »
by
Sharon B. Ingerson | Ingerson is a resident of the Glenvar area and has worked as a Registered Nurse in Salem for fifteen years.

I am a registered nurse and I buy my individual policy with Optima Health. I love it.

However, seeing all the reports about canceled plans, I called them to ask if I would lose my policy. They said that next year I will.

My plan does not qualify under the Affordable Care Act because it does not include maternity coverage. I am a 41-year-old woman with three children (one with moderate-severe autism and mental retardation). I am not having any more children.

This is ridiculous. However, it gets worse. Optima gave me my options. Now I have a $2,500 deductible with 100 percent coverage after the deductible is met. The family deductible is $5,000. The plan costs $209 per month. This is not a substandard plan.

I have a health savings account where I have saved more than $12,000, so if my family needs health care, I can provide for them.

The new Obamacare plans are worse in every regard. They are not better and I do not save $2,500, as President Obama promised so many times.

Here is the closest plan to mine: $3,250 deductible (worse), $6,500 family deductible (worse), and the premium is an outrageous $674 per month (far worse). Essentially, I will pay $465 a month or $5,580 a year more for insurance. Obama promised the average family (I’m a nurse; we’re average) $2,500, but I will pay $5,580 more?

I’ve tried to log onto healthcare.gov, but it is a total disaster. I have called other insurance companies in Virginia and the plans are worse than Optima. The closest plan was a $4,000 deductible/$8,000 family deductible for nearly $600. That is not a better plan. It is far worse.

This will ruin my family’s health care options. I will lose the ability to save any money in my health savings account. Instead of saving for my family’s needs, I will have to give that money to an insurance company.

I will have higher out-of-pocket costs and worse coverage.

Anger doesn’t begin to describe how I feel. I urge my congressional representatives to support the president’s other promise, that “If you like your plan, you can keep it.”

This has to be changed.
http://roanoke.com/opinion/commentary/2389210-12/give-back-my-health-care-policy.html

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: Give back my health care policy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 09:20:07 pm »
The reports one hears on the deductibles make it sound like you really have no coverage at all.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline olde north church

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 09:23:00 pm »
White people don't riot.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 09:53:39 pm »
This has to be changed.
Good luck with that.   **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 10:08:44 pm »
The reports one hears on the deductibles make it sound like you really have no coverage at all.

You don't - this is why the insurance companies were willing to jump on board - they will collect a LOT more money and not have to pay anything out for the majority of the policy-holders...   who wouldn't take THAT deal from the POTUS?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 10:10:56 pm »
BTW you all heard the story of the woman who could not get off the site once there until she followed through to the sign-up where they informed her she was not on Medicaid and had no option to opt-out - never mind she was happily paying for her own insurance coverage from Blue Cross, Blue Shield..... 

It gets even better - yesterday on Fox they had a story about a man who lives in a paid off $5 million dollar home - but they also dropped him into taxpayer-paid Medicaid with no opt-out.  I smell single payer.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776