Author Topic: Expert presents America's two options - which will we choose?  (Read 509 times)

rangerrebew

Expert presents America's two options - which will we choose?
« on: November 23, 2013, 11:05:12 am »
Expert Presents America’s Two Options – Which Will We Choose?

Nov. 22, 2013 9:30pm Erica Ritz

David Buckner, the founder and CEO of Bottom Line Training and Consulting, an adjunct professor at Columbia University, and the author of “Permission to Think,” said on Friday that America has to choose between two paths.

Guest hosting the Glenn Beck Program, Buckner began with an overview of “the fundamentals of business” — which included a discussion of how specialization, competition, innovation and differentiation made America the most prosperous country in the world — before moving to “America’s choices.”

“What’s America’s choice? What are our choices?” he asked. “We can be a country that has pure markets and we negotiate everything, (or) we can be a country that has pure government and it controls everything. But if we look at where we’ve come from and where we are today, government intervention infuses us with regulations and ceilings and floors and taxes and tariffs and quotas…”

On the other hand, Buckner said, “the pure market is not safe and it’s not perfect,” and it has “monopolies … public goods that everybody needs but nobody will buy … economic injustice… cultural mediocrity and there’s free riders…”

However, Buckner argued that when you look at the two, at least the market is “predictable.”

“If you want something, I’ll provide it,” he said. “If I can’t provide it at a lower cost, competition comes in. I then go back and innovate. We have such things as the iPod and the iPad simply because of innovation.”

Buckner explained that “the pure market is like a river,” and it will always find “find its way down the mountain.” It’s just a matter of how many boulders the government places in its way.

TheBlaze’s deputy managing editor Jon Seidl also appeared on the program to discuss America’s choices, saying he believes the country can return to a time where innovation spurred on growth.

“I really do think the country can get back to that. Think about it – it’s not that long ago that we were kind of in this great…golden era, if you will,” he remarked. “The eighties and such … we were innovating. We were in a great upward trajectory. I think you can get back to that.”

“I think there has to be some changes made, obviously,” Seidl added. “You have to look at things like, you know, (a) flat tax and can that work. And you have to start getting people who are willing to discuss these things.”