Author Topic: Silver Lining For GOP: Nuclear Option Could Make Repealing ObamaCare Easier  (Read 730 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/22/silver-lining-for-gop-nuclear-option-could-make-repealing-obamacare-easier/

Silver lining for GOP: Nuclear option could make repealing Obamacare easier
Alex Pappas
11:30 AM 11/22/2013

Conservatives are outraged over Harry Reid pulling the trigger on the so-called nuclear option in the Senate, making it impossible for Republicans to stop President Obama from nominating anyone he wants to positions in the government.

But some on the right are finding comfort in the theory that Reid’s legislative maneuver could actually make it easier for Republicans to eventually repeal Obamacare — if all the pieces come together in 2017.

On Thursday, Senate Democrats — led by Reid, the Senate majority leader — took the drastic step of changing the body’s rules to prevent Republicans from being able to filibuster most of the president’s nominees.

By employing the nuclear option, Democrats changed the rules so that nomination voted on by the Senate — such as cabinet positions or appeals court judges — only need a majority of votes to pass, instead of the traditional 60 votes.

While Democrats claim the new rule only applies to nominations — and not Supreme Court picks or legislation — conservative commentator George Will is among those who pointed out that there’s no reason to think the majority rule won’t be expanded to other issues in the Senate.

And that’s something that could help Republicans repeal Obamacare if they win the presidency in 2016, win the Senate and keep control of the House.

“There’s no limiting principle in the principle they’re invoking,” Will said on Special Report on Fox News on Thursday night. “That is majorities should rule all the time.”

He continued: “What this means is if in the spring of 2017 there’s a Republican president, which there could be, the Republicans still hold the House, and they have 51 senators, they can repeal Obamacare with 51 votes. And I’m not sure the people who did this today have thought this.”

On Thursday, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell broadly warned Democrats that they might later regret using the nuclear option.

“I say to my friends on the other side of the aisle you’ll regret this,” McConnell said. “And you may regret it a lot sooner than you think.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

That was my first thought, but after thinking about it, it's possible that Obama might want the republicans to repeal it to transfer the blame. Though ACA is his legacy, he doesn't think so much in future terms, as he lives for today. He can then spend a lifetime bragging about he cared so much for the people, but those damn republicans kept interfering. Democrats will eat that up.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Too much counting on unhatched eggs, for my tastes.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Too much counting on unhatched eggs, for my tastes.

Yep.  It's Charlie Brown trying to kick the football - over and over again. 

Has anyone read the small print?  It probably doesn't apply when Republicans are in power. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!