Author Topic: White House blocks access to Obama events, news groups say  (Read 805 times)

Offline flowers

White House blocks access to Obama events, news groups say
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:58:16 pm »
WASHINGTON — The nation’s largest news organizations lodged a complaint Thursday against the White House for imposing unprecedented limitations on photojournalists covering President Barack Obama, which they say have harmed the public’s ability to monitor its own government.

The organizations accuse the White House of banning photojournalists from covering Obama at some events, and then later releasing its own photos and videos of the same events.

“Journalists are routinely being denied the right to photograph or videotape the president while he is performing his official duties,” according to a letter the organizations sent to the White House. “As surely as if they were placing a hand over a journalist’s camera lens, officials in this administration are blocking the public from having an independent view of important functions of the executive branch of government.”

Presidents often look for ways to get their own messages out. But media experts say Obama’s administration has developed an aggressive strategy to use social media, including government-sponsored websites and blogs, as well as Twitter, Instagram and Flickr accounts, to circumvent the media’s constitutional duty more than its predecessors have.

“You are only seeing what they want you to see,” said Lucy Dalglish, the dean of the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest defended the release of photos and videos, saying the practice helps Obama live up to his pledge of transparency by allowing the public to have greater access to the inner workings of the administration when it’s not feasible for news media to be in the room.

“What we’ve done is we’ve taken advantage of new technology to give the American public even greater access to behind-the-scenes footage or photographs of the president doing his job,” Earnest said. “To the American public, that’s a clear win.”

He said the news organizations’ protests were just part of the natural tension between journalists and those they covered.

“The fact that there is a little bit of a disagreement between the press corps and the White House press office about how much access the press corps should have to the president is built into the system,” he said at the daily White House news briefing. “If that tension didn’t exist, then either you or we aren’t doing our jobs.”

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/11/21/209352/white-house-blocks-access-to-obama.html#storylink=cpy

They are really insulating him aren't they? I wonder what he does at the White House that is such a problem? What don't they wan't us to see?

Offline Relic

Re: White House blocks access to Obama events, news groups say
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 04:14:33 pm »
The media whores get in a snit only because they want to be closer to their object of worship.

Obama hates them, and I like that. I enjoy seeing media members abused, and I wouldn't mind seeing them ... well, I'll stop there.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 05:12:21 pm »
Obammy's handlers, i.e., Jarrett, don't want him seen in a less-than-flattering light.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest defended the release of photos and videos, saying the practice helps Obama live up to his pledge of transparency by allowing the public to have greater access to the inner workings of the administration when it’s not feasible for news media to be in the room.
That's right. "Transparency" requires that we prohibit the press any access whatsoever. Makes perfect sense.  :thud:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:15:45 pm »
The media whores get in a snit only because they want to be closer to their object of worship.

Obama hates them, and I like that. I enjoy seeing media members abused, and I wouldn't mind seeing them ... well, I'll stop there.

They're turning on him.  Your "like" of Obama is misplaced.  He's a tyrant, and should be opposed at every opportunity. 

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 06:14:04 pm »
They're turning on him.  Your "like" of Obama is misplaced.  He's a tyrant, and should be opposed at every opportunity. 

With the media turning on Obama, it is a very BAD decision to restrict their access to him.

The only reason he has survived politically is that they were in the tank for him.  Now that a few are trying to swim out and not worshipping him any more, it is unwise to turn them further away.

With the media bubble broken and this stupid restriction, his 36% approval rating may sink even further.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 06:18:02 pm »
Come on.....the only reason they don't want press photographers at events right now is that Michelle Obama has added another boxcar to her fat ass.

Seriously.....they simply don't want photos taken that aren't screened and approved by Jarrett & Co.

Unflattering pics....and of course, questionable people attending are big no-nos.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 07:08:55 pm »

Reading is more than recognizing groups of letters. There's this concept called comprehension. Yeah, I'm having a crappy day and I'm a little more sarcastic than usual, it happens.

I didn't say I like Obama. I like the situation where the media whores worship him, and he hates them.

And I disagree about them turning on him. They have too much invested in him, and they are fellow travelers in communism. They will circle the wagons before summer.