Author Topic: Campers Already Staking Out Black Friday Bargains  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Campers Already Staking Out Black Friday Bargains
« on: November 22, 2013, 05:27:08 am »
This is a report out of but one city but I wonder if it's happening elsewhere too.

Want to be first in line for those doorbuster specials on Black Friday? You may already be too late.

Campers have already been lining up outside some big box retailers, hoping to cash in on holiday bargains.

Jim Alooh pitched his tent on Monday to be first in line outside a Best Buy in Cuyahoga Falls.

Alooh tells WJW-TV Fox 8 he’s prepared for the long haul, with a comfortable bed, microwave oven, TV and especially heaters.

“It’s cold; it’s windy, and sometimes it rains and snows, so you have to be careful and make sure you stay warm,” he said.

He’s done this for the past 3 years, but that’s nothing next to his temporary neighbor, Tony Avitar, who has been doing this for 11 years.

“I think it was the second year I did it; nobody had the bright idea of camping out in tents. So, we just did sleeping bags on the sidewalk, and it was freezing rain for sixteen hours,” said Avitar he told Fox 8.

And for these two weeks or so, a community atmosphere develops for these two weeks or so.

With waiters line cooking and cleaning together, and even holding a place in line when someone needs a break.

The campers spend their days and nights dreaming about the bargains they hope to get: laptops, big screen TVs and maybe even one of the new gaming consoles.

Best Buy hasn’t even published its entire Black Friday bargain list.

Store manager Manny Rodriguez says he’s come to know the campers like family.

“We’re going to control it to make sure our customers are safe but also have fun,” said Rodriguez.

And he promised there will be plenty of merchandise available even for those who haven’t camped out all week.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/11/21/campers-already-staking-out-black-friday-bargains/

By golly now that's dedication in order to get a bargain. I myself have never participated in a Black Friday sale event and somewhat doubt I ever will.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Campers Already Staking Out Black Friday Bargains
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 05:59:58 am »
Occupy Best Buy...... :shrug:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 07:11:06 pm »
Occupy Best Buy...... :shrug:

They must be people who don't have jobs, but have the money to find good deals.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 07:19:49 pm »
Conspicuous by their absence on these lists are toilets.  Given the OWS mentality I imagine any cop car will do.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline collins

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 01:22:55 am »
I wonder if this isn't just some weird tradition from people who shop as a hobby. Good, let them go for it if that's what makes them happy. Can't really relate, though - never camped out for anything.