Author Topic: Fukushima job feared too perilous for Tepco  (Read 616 times)

SPQR

Fukushima job feared too perilous for Tepco
« on: November 20, 2013, 05:09:08 AM »

Offline olde north church

Re: Fukushima job feared too perilous for Tepco
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:38:24 PM »
I'm not a nuclear facility guy but don't they enclose the rods in concrete domes or something like that?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 08:43:25 PM »
I'm not a nuclear facility guy but don't they enclose the rods in concrete domes or something like that?

This site may explain it:

http://world-nuclear.org/info/Nuclear-Fuel-Cycle/Transport/Transport-of-Radioactive-Materials/

Personally, they can remove the rods safely.This is from the article:

Return nuclear waste shipments from Europe to Japan since 1995 are of vitrified high-level wastes in stainless steel canisters.  Up to 28 canisters (total 14 tonnes) are packed in each 94-tonne steel transport cask, the same as used for irradiated fuel.  Over 1995-2007 twelve shipments were made from France of vitrified HLW comprising 1310 canisters containing almost 700 tonnes of glass.  Return shipments from the UK are due to commence, and there will be about 11 shipments over eight years.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:50:22 PM by SPQR »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 08:57:10 PM »

This site may explain it:

http://world-nuclear.org/info/Nuclear-Fuel-Cycle/Transport/Transport-of-Radioactive-Materials/

Personally, they can remove the rods safely.This is from the article:

Return nuclear waste shipments from Europe to Japan since 1995 are of vitrified high-level wastes in stainless steel canisters.  Up to 28 canisters (total 14 tonnes) are packed in each 94-tonne steel transport cask, the same as used for irradiated fuel.  Over 1995-2007 twelve shipments were made from France of vitrified HLW comprising 1310 canisters containing almost 700 tonnes of glass.  Return shipments from the UK are due to commence, and there will be about 11 shipments over eight years.

That was interesting, thanks.  I think my concrete went to something I watched about Chernobyl.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

SPQR

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:12:32 PM »
That was interesting, thanks.  I think my concrete went to something I watched about Chernobyl.

The Russians built a concrete sarcophagus over Chernobyl  site to contain the reactor. In early 2013 a 3500 square foot section of the roof of the turbine-building, adjacent to the sarcophagus, collapsed.

SPQR

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 09:23:09 PM »
The Russians built a concrete sarcophagus over Chernobyl  site to contain the reactor. In early 2013 a 3500 square foot section of the roof of the turbine-building, adjacent to the sarcophagus, collapsed.

There are differences between our reactors and the Russians. We have containment domes to prevent radiation leakage. If you drive down I-5 between Disneyland and San Diego they have an example of our reactor.The USA uses Light Water Reactors. Japan and Russia uses  graphite-moderated, water-cooled reactor . They have a number of design and safety flaws and there has been calls around the world to close these reactors down.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:27:38 PM by SPQR »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf