Author Topic: Obamacare- Deductibles are the death panels  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Obamacare- Deductibles are the death panels
« on: November 20, 2013, 03:59:16 am »

Obamacare- Deductibles are the death panels
By: DrJohn   

obamacare is open

Here’s Alzheimer’s sufferer Nancy Pelosi speaking the words she no longer remembers.

“And everybody will have lower rates, better quality care and better access.”

Obama promised that the average family would save $2500 in premiums yearly.

As is always true of anything democrats say, the devil is in the details.

“We’ll do it by investing in disease prevention, not just disease management; by investing in a paperless health care system to reduce administrative costs; and by covering every single American and making sure that they can take their health care with them if they lose their job,” he said at the time. “We’ll also reduce costs for business and their workers by picking up the tab for some of the most expensive illnesses.

“We won’t do all this twenty years from now, or ten years from now,” he said. “We’ll do it by the end of my first term as President of the United States.”

No we won’t. We’ll do it with the magic of high deductibles:

Never mind rate shock. Today, the Detroit Free Press hits a topic I’ve been writing about for weeks now — deductible shock. This, even more than the higher premiums, is the main reason I’ve written that Obamacare is junk insurance. If your deductible goes up, it leaves you paying for more of own care, so that means you’re not as well insured as you were before.

Many of the people seeing their policies canceled right now were in situations like mine — they previously had individual market plans with what they thought were already high deductibles. Then Obamacare goes into effect, and boom! The only plans coming anywhere near to being comparable in terms of premiums carry significantly higher deductibles than anyone was used to or willing to accept:

In southeast Michigan, deductibles in most of the 14 bronze plans listed on the marketplace — those with lower premiums — top $5,000 for a single person and $10,000-$12,000 for a family. Insurance won’t kick in until those out-of-pocket costs are met.

“(People) are saying ‘I can afford to buy health care, I just can’t afford to get sick,’ ” said Allen Zuppke, a Southfield insurance broker who helps consumers weigh risks, costs and options in buying health insurance….

The democrat Governors of three states- Jay Inslee of Washington, Steve Beshear of Kentucky and Dannel P. Malloy of Connecticut- penned an op-ed in the Washington Post in which they blather on about how they made Obamacare work.

One such person is Brad Camp, a small-business owner in Kingston, Wash., who received a cancellation notice in September from his insurance carrier. He went to the state exchange, the Washington Healthplanfinder, and for close to the same premium his family was paying before got upfront coverage for doctor’s office visits and prescription drug , vision and dental coverage. His family was able to keep the same insurance carrier and doctors and qualified for tax credits to help cover the cost.

Since Howard Stovall opened his sign and graphics business in Lexington, Ky., in 1998, he has paid half the cost of health insurance for his eight employees. With the help of Stovall’s longtime insurance agent and Kentucky’s health exchange, Kynect, Stovall’s employees are saving 5 percent to 40 percent each on new health insurance plans with better benefits. Stovall can afford to provide additional employee benefits, including full disability coverage and part of the cost of vision and dental plans, while still saving the business 50 percent compared with the old plans.

In Connecticut, Anne Masterson was able to reduce her monthly premiums from $965 to $313 for similar coverage, including a $145 tax credit. Masterson is able to use her annual premium savings of $8,000 to pay bills or save for retirement.
There’s something left out of all three stories- the deductible.

As I live in Connecticut I thought I’d visit Accesshealthct.com and see for myself how affordable Obamacare is. I found out.

For the sake of argument, we’ll use a Silver Point of Service plan whenever possible.

For a couple aged 65 and 62 with no dependents making $120,000 per year, the monthly premium is $1360 with a deductible of $10,000 and an annual maximum out of pocket cost of $12,500.

For two married 40 year olds making $45,000 having no dependents the monthly premium is $350 with a deductible of $6000 and an annual out pocket cost of $12,500.

For a single 27 year old in New Haven County making $63,000 the monthly premium would be $300 with a deductible of $3000 and an annual out of pocket cost of $6250.

For a single 25 year old making $30,000 in New Haven County the monthly premium is $208 with a $3000 deductible and an annual out of pocket cost of $6250.

For a married couple in Hartford County, age 55 and 54, with three kids, 20, 17 and 14, making $100,000 the monthly premium is $800 with a deductible of $6000 and an annual out of pocket cost of $12,500.

The same family making $60,000 per year faces a monthly premium of $350, a deductible of $5,000 and an annual maximum out of pocket cost of $10,400.

A 23 year old making $21,000 looking into a Bronze plan has some interesting options. One offers a virtual zero monthly premium but a deductible of $6000 per year and a maximum out of pocket of $6250. Per year. Or he or she might choose a plan with a $7 per month premium with a deductible of $3250 and an annual out of pocket cost of $6250 but has to pay 40% of any ER costs.

For me, a Silver plan would cost me far more than I pay now, with a higher deductible and a lot more in out of pocket maximum. As far as I am concerned, the junk plan is the one Obama would push me into.

I am trying to find out more about this Anne Masterson. Search as I might, I locate only one Anne Masterson, who is identified as an attorney in Norwich.

For many, rates might come down, but the deductibles are the rest of the story and they are onerous. Obama supporters do not understand the difference between coverage and care. Getting coverage is easy. They are going to find out that getting care is expensive.

And getting sick will kill you.

+++++++++++++++++
About DrJohn
DrJohn has been a health care professional for more than 30 years. In addition to clinical practice he has done extensive research and has published widely with over 70 original articles and abstracts in the peer-reviewed literature. DrJohn is well known in his field and has lectured on every continent except for Antarctica. He has been married to the same wonderful lady for over 30 years and has three kids- two sons, both of whom are attorneys and one daughter on her way into the field of education. DrJohn was brought up with the concept that one can do well if one is prepared to work hard but nothing in life is guaranteed. Except for liberals being foolish.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

Re: Obamacare- Deductibles are the death panels
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 04:13:49 am »
Yup.  Been there, done that.  Thanks for taking away my health care Obama.

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:50:22 am »
Instead of all those high deductibles and out-of-pocket costs, people would be a lot better off paying their own way, except for catastrophic care. Most people don't spend $1000 per year in health care bills. Perhaps the concentration should have been catastrophic care, but then, that would ruin Obama's power trip.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 04:55:55 am »
Instead of all those high deductibles and out-of-pocket costs, people would be a lot better off paying their own way, except for catastrophic care. Most people don't spend $1000 per year in health care bills. Perhaps the concentration should have been catastrophic care, but then, that would ruin Obama's power trip.

Before Obamacare catastrophic care was a lot cheaper.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 04:58:14 am »
Oh BTW Kelly Ayoette was on Kelly File and going on about how many hospitals are kicked out of the exchanges and doctors kicked out of the hospitals - said she is getting calls from her citizens daily... she said one is a pregnant woman who cannot deliver (now) at her local hospital and will have to drive an hour from her home to deliver.

Offline happyg

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 05:03:29 am »

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 05:07:50 am »

That's exactly what I want, at least for myself.  What I'm afraid of personally is getting hit by a bus and not being able to take care of my family; I can deal with paying for my own garden variety prescriptions and visits to the doctor; I certainly don't need to pay for mandatory abortion coverage.  If I could purchase a basic hospitalization/major medical policy, the premium savings would more than fully fund my average out of pocket costs - I know, because I've done the math.  Instead, what I have amounts to having catastrophic coverage, but with a premium that's so high I can't afford to pay for any of my normal health care, and with a deductible that will still ruin me financially, even if that obama-policy eventually kicks in and starts covering the hospital bills.

Thanks for taking my health care away from me Obama (and all of you effing liberals, too).

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 07:08:47 pm »
I just renewed my employer based plan for 2014. The Doctor Visit Co-Pay went up 300%.   
It has been $15 per doctor visit for years, then bumped to $20 in 2013, - not a big deal.   But for 2014  it has skyrocketed to $60 per visit.   Makes you wonder what will happen in 2015 when the 1-year large company extension runs out.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 08:05:02 pm »
I just renewed my employer based plan for 2014. The Doctor Visit Co-Pay went up 300%.   
It has been $15 per doctor visit for years, then bumped to $20 in 2013, - not a big deal.   But for 2014  it has skyrocketed to $60 per visit.   Makes you wonder what will happen in 2015 when the 1-year large company extension runs out.

Heck $60 a visit is more than most carriers even pay for a regular office visit and is what we charge our "established" cash patients.

Offline happyg

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 12:55:07 am »
Heck $60 a visit is more than most carriers even pay for a regular office visit and is what we charge our "established" cash patients.

Nearly everyone has house insurance that covers catastrophes. When the pipes are clogged, we call the plumber. When the furnace breaks down, we call a heating company. The same for repairmen for appliances. If our house insurance covered all these incidentals, it would sky-rocket. The same goes for our vehicles. We pay for oil changes and new tires. Insurance covers the big stuff, like accidents. Health insurance should be run the same way, since the government is sponsoring it.

Many don't believe in vaccinations, so why should they pay for someone else's. The same for abortions. The republicans should come up with a bill to address these issues, and make it easy to understand, as well as brief and to the point. No loopholes!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 03:07:30 am »
Nearly everyone has house insurance that covers catastrophes. When the pipes are clogged, we call the plumber. When the furnace breaks down, we call a heating company. The same for repairmen for appliances. If our house insurance covered all these incidentals, it would sky-rocket. The same goes for our vehicles. We pay for oil changes and new tires. Insurance covers the big stuff, like accidents. Health insurance should be run the same way, since the government is sponsoring it.

Many don't believe in vaccinations, so why should they pay for someone else's. The same for abortions. The republicans should come up with a bill to address these issues, and make it easy to understand, as well as brief and to the point. No loopholes!

exactly.