Author Topic: Lindsey Vonn reportedly injured in training run  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Lindsey Vonn reportedly injured in training run
« on: November 19, 2013, 08:24:32 pm »
http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/lindsey-vonn-injured-in-training-run-at-copper-mountain-111913

Lindsey Vonn reportedly injured in training run
FOX Sports

Updated Nov 19, 2013 3:07 PM ET

DENVER (AP)

Reigning Olympic downhill champion Lindsey Vonn has crashed while training ahead of her return to racing following major knee surgery.

U.S. Ski Team spokesman Tom Kelly says Tuesday that Vonn is being evaluated at a hospital after being taken off the slope at Copper Mountain, Colo., on a sled.

Kelly says he is not sure whether Vonn hurt her surgically repaired right knee.

He adds: "We have no reason to believe it's anything significant right now."

The four-time overall World Cup champion tore her ACL and MCL in a crash at the world championships in February. She has been aiming to return to Word Cup competition next week in Beaver Creek, Colo.

The Sochi Games are in February.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Lindsey Vonn reportedly injured in training run
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 08:26:49 pm »
It's so difficult to get back to 100% after an injury. I was never able to ski with the same agression after I injured my knee and the resulting surgery. We went to Colorado skiing a few months after my surgery and I'd make one run and have to sit it out while George made a run then I'd make another run... this was after physical therapy on the knee post-surgery.  I never had the same strength or stability in the leg.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:28:51 pm »
Gosh I hope it is nothing serious.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 09:19:33 pm »
Did they take to the Picabo ICU?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:51:44 pm »
It's so difficult to get back to 100% after an injury. I was never able to ski with the same agression after I injured my knee and the resulting surgery. We went to Colorado skiing a few months after my surgery and I'd make one run and have to sit it out while George made a run then I'd make another run... this was after physical therapy on the knee post-surgery.  I never had the same strength or stability in the leg.

Does Tiger know?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:28:13 pm »

I haven't had surgery on mine, but wow have my knees gone down hill over this last year. When I bend them in like you do for a snow-plow turn Ouch!!!!   If I go skiing at all it will be on the easier green runs - while my wife is up skiiing the blue and black runs.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 07:41:47 pm »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 08:00:06 pm »
I haven't had surgery on mine, but wow have my knees gone down hill over this last year. When I bend them in like you do for a snow-plow turn Ouch!!!!   If I go skiing at all it will be on the easier green runs - while my wife is up skiiing the blue and black runs.

People don't realize how much strength you need in your knees to put weight on the downhill leg as you are making turns, it is so quick back and forth you take it for granted when you have strong legs, but it is the same thing as after my carpal tunnel surgery (on both hands before they discovered it was my neck, not my hands) I have never had the strength in my hands to open jars, I never had the strength again in the left knee for turns as I had before.  We used to work out and actually concentrate on working our lower body strength before skiing season - plus we water-skied in the summer so I never had any issues until I fell and the ski didn't come off and I did a spiral in slush on that ski....  I still skied down the hill, though - I refused to ever ride in a basket., I also skied down after I broke two ribs.    I miss skiing, finally gave away our skis and boots last year. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 08:25:02 pm »
Reigning Olympic downhill champion Lindsay Vonn suffered a partial torn ACL in her right knee after crashing Tuesday, derailing her comeback following major knee surgery.

Four-time World Cup champion Lindsey Vonn was injured during training Tuesday while preparing for her return to competition.

Vonn also suffered a strained right knee, facial abrasions and shoulder contusions, her publicist said in a statement Wednesday.

Vonn will "pursue aggressive physical therapy and will determine the next time she is able to compete after seeing how she responds to the treatment," publicist Lewis Kay said in a statement.

What was not immediately clear: When Vonn might be able to compete and how Tuesday's injuries might affect her Olympic hopes. ...ESPN
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:58:27 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 08:52:01 pm »
The Winter Olympics are right around the corner.  I can't imagine she will be back to full strength in time to compete at the level she is used to.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 09:03:47 pm »
Truth is, if she was a horse, they'd have to shoot her.

....as far as downhill skiing for an Olympic medal.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 11:07:59 pm »
The Winter Olympics are right around the corner.  I can't imagine she will be back to full strength in time to compete at the level she is used to.
No she won't be able too compete in Winter Olympics. Maybe she came back to soon?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:11:32 pm by flowers »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 11:47:06 pm »
No she won't be able too compete in Winter Olympics. Maybe she came back to soon?

I don't know what kind of PT she was doing, but her initial injury was a terrible injury and would have required a lot of physical therapy -- also after a bad fall and injury you have the mental thing to overcome and in skiing when you start to think your turns more than just feel them and go for it you can easily start to psych yourself out. 

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 01:58:47 am »

I hear you on that!  Have you considered changing your skis?? I didn't even have to have surgery (small ligament tears that I've addressed through nutrition and exercise) but after a pretty serious wipeout a number of years ago, I found the best thing for me was to hangup the super stiff straight GS racing skis and move to a parabolic design.  I picked up a nice pair of Elans at an end of the season sale and never looked back!!  They are stable enough for nice high speed cruising and carve beautiful arcs with almost zero effort!! Plus they have the added advantage of being able to ski through the bumps instead of over them!!  (I also figured at my age it was time to crank back the bindings a bit from the max settings!! lol)

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 02:28:16 am »
An ACL tear is usually 9-12 months to recover.  It's one of the most common season ending injuries to football players.

That said, I lost all respect for her when she hooked up with Woods.  He's scum and she's an idiot.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 03:18:27 am »
I hear you on that!  Have you considered changing your skis?? I didn't even have to have surgery (small ligament tears that I've addressed through nutrition and exercise) but after a pretty serious wipeout a number of years ago, I found the best thing for me was to hangup the super stiff straight GS racing skis and move to a parabolic design.  I picked up a nice pair of Elans at an end of the season sale and never looked back!!  They are stable enough for nice high speed cruising and carve beautiful arcs with almost zero effort!! Plus they have the added advantage of being able to ski through the bumps instead of over them!!  (I also figured at my age it was time to crank back the bindings a bit from the max settings!! lol)

My husband LOVED his Elans!  He broke a ski when we were up at Mammoth skiing and had to rent a pair ... they were literally brand new skis and he was the first user.. at the end of the day when he took them back he held them tight and said how much, I HAVE to have these skis ~LOL~   I gave them away last year along with his boots - still have his ski jacket (another MUST HAVE) ...   - he loved the long sweeping runs.  We always had a rule that when we said this is the last run - that was it we would ski to the bottom and quit, but the day I screwed up my knee we were skiing with a friend and when we got to the bottom he said how about one more... we did and I screwed up my knee on that run. 

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 12:52:18 pm »
My husband LOVED his Elans!  He broke a ski when we were up at Mammoth skiing and had to rent a pair ... they were literally brand new skis and he was the first user.. at the end of the day when he took them back he held them tight and said how much, I HAVE to have these skis ~LOL~   I gave them away last year along with his boots - still have his ski jacket (another MUST HAVE) ...   - he loved the long sweeping runs.  We always had a rule that when we said this is the last run - that was it we would ski to the bottom and quit, but the day I screwed up my knee we were skiing with a friend and when we got to the bottom he said how about one more... we did and I screwed up my knee on that run.

"One more run" has bit many of us in the backside!!  My personal event was ages ago, I think I may have been about 21-22 years old.  "One more run" gave me a dislocated shoulder doing a bump run that I was way too tired for at that point in the day (and it was actually getting so dark that I really couldn't see where I was skiing!!) .....  I've resisted since then!!  The run that screwed up my knee was the 3rd run of a gloriously beautiful sunny day!!  lol