Author Topic: Frozen Lighthouses Caught In Winter’s Icy Grip On Lake Michigan Shore  (Read 1463 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.boredpanda.com/frozen-lighthouses-st-joseph-north-pier-lake-michigan/

These beautiful pictures of the ice-covered lighthouses at the St. Joseph North Pier on the coast of Lake Michigan might make you feel colder just by looking at them. The lighthouses in these pictures by photographers Thomas Zakowski and Tom Gill are so completely frozen over that they look like fantastic icy fairy-tale towers out of “The Chronicles of Narnia.”

The two lighthouses, both of which were built over a century ago, freeze over when the winter winds and waves on Lake Michigan cover the towers in icy spray. The shorter outer tower, which was built in 1906, stands 35 ft tall (10.5m). The second inner tower, built in 1907, is 57 ft (17.4) tall. The two are linked by a catwalk which, when covered in ice and rime, makes for a truly impressive sight. The lighthouses’ exposed position makes them a popular destination for sightseers looking for magnificent icicles or crashing waves on the shores of Lake Michigan. They will probably grow a new coat of ice this coming winter as well, so photographers, get your cameras ready!

Offline mountaineer

Re: Frozen Lighthouses Caught In Winter’s Icy Grip On Lake Michigan Shore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01:35 pm »
Beautiful, but brrrrr!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:02:52 pm »
I wish I didn't live in Florida.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 04:10:02 pm »
I wish I didn't live in Florida.

Sometimes, in January and February, I wish I did.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 04:11:52 pm »
Sometimes, in January and February, I wish I did.

I'd gladly trade my summers for your winters. haha

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 04:19:57 pm »
So beautiful they looked painted.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 04:21:44 pm »
I'd gladly trade my summers for your winters. haha

Yeah, but just try grilling outside in the winter in New Hampshire:

Yes, that is a grill.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 04:23:07 pm »
A couple of those look like a nighmare right out of H.P. Lovecraft....