Author Topic: Man's insurance cancelled - applies to state exchange, dog gets policy  (Read 798 times)

rangerrebew

Man’s Insurance Cancelled, He Applies Through State Exchange & Dog Gets Policy

Posted By Dave Jolly on Nov 21, 2013 | 31 Comments

Share128 Tweet54 Share299 Email30

Most of the stories we are hearing about Obamacare are generally horror stories of people having their private polices cancelled or finding that their rates are increasing by outrageous amounts.  Then there are the millions of people that supposedly tried to sign up for healthcare coverage and then gave up after hours of frustration.  Those that do get through the system and get their quotes find that their exchange policies will cost them more than their monthly mortgage payment.

But not this story.  It will bring a smile to your face while at the same time adding another strike to the growing list of mistakes that have happened due to Obamacare.

Shane Smith lives in Fort Collins, Colorado and was one of millions of Americans to have his private healthcare insurance cancelled due to Obamacare.  Smith had no alternative but to contact Connect for Health Colorado to purchase his new plan.  Instead of using the internet, he called them and spoke to a live person.  He answered all of their questions and believed that he had successfully signed up for his new coverage.

Not long after, a letter of confirmation of his new policy arrived in the mail, but the policy wasn’t what he expected.  The insured owner of the policy was Baxter, his dog.  Smith told the local news:

“I thought, ‘Wow, this is so awesome.  They have gone out of their way to insure my 14-year-old Yorkie.”

He said that he suspects the person on the phone got confused or entered the wrong information in the wrong place on his application.  When they asked him for a security question, he gave them Baxter’s name.

Smith called Connect for Health Colorado and explained to them about the letter saying the policy was in his dog’s name and they told him over the phone that they have fixed the problem.  Commenting on the mix up, Smith said:

“There was some kind of code or something, so I gave them my dog’s name.  They must have just put it in the wrong slot or something.”

“It was pretty funny. Typical Obamacare, that they would insure your dog by mistake.”

“They fixed it … I think they fixed it.”

“There’s been a lot of headaches that’s come from all of this. All the phone calls. All the nonsense. They ended up giving me good coverage I think, but who knows if they’re going to take it away.  As long as Baxter’s covered that’s all the counts.”

I wonder what would have happened if Smith had taken Baxter to the vet and tried to use his new healthcare policy?  After all, he did have a letter of confirmation saying that Baxter was covered.

Yes it’s humorous what happened with Baxter’s health insurance, but it also shows one of the problems being discovered throughout the nation.  State and federal governments hastily recruited thousands of people to sign everyone up.  In most cases, they received the minimal amount of training possible and few if any were screened for background checks.  When you call up and give them your personal information, you don’t know if the person is competent to handle the job or if you may be speaking to a convicted felon who steals personal identifications who then will financially ruin you.

I agree with Texas Sen. Ted Cruz who believes that there are too many serious problems with Obamacare to try to salvage and fix it.  He says that Obamacare needs to be completely scrapped and then learning from all of the mistakes in the current plan, they build a plan that will provide affordable healthcare coverage for everyone that will be thoroughly tested and will work when implemented.

Read more at http://lastresistance.com/3755/mans-insurance-cancelled-applies-state-exchange-dog-gets-policy/#EOp2yBlhxJLYm2Gr.99