Author Topic: Hotel made completely of ice told it needs to install fire alarms  (Read 865 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Let's hear no more complains about over-regulation in the USA.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/350967/Hotel-made-completely-of-ice-told-it-needs-to-install-fire-alarms

Management at the Icehotel, located near the frosty town of Jukkasjaervi in Sweden, made sure they didn't keep guests out in the cold when they announced it will install fire alarms to comply with new building rules.

Since 1990 the hotel has been rebuilt every December by its owners until it begins to melt again in April

A spokeswoman for the hotel said: “We have to apply for building permits every year.

“When the rules change, we need to adapt to the new rules obviously.

“When the rules change, we need to adapt to the new rules obviously.”
    A spokeswoman for the Icehotel

She added: “When we explain to people, I think it makes sense.”

However, there have been "no incidents so far" she confirmed, with the hotel in its 24th year.

“It went off once, but when the supervisor came down it turned out it was just one of our guests who’d snuck off to the cleaning closet and had a cigarette.”

The popular escape has been credited as the world's first ice hotel.

It is made out of about 1,000 tons of ice and is situated 17 kilometres from Kiruna.

People from all over the world visit the ice shelter to wrap up in temperatures as low as -8C.

Prices can vary from price between £150 and £850 a night depending on guests' desired rooms.

This year, the hotel will open on December 6 and will close down at the beginning of April.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

Re: Hotel made completely of ice told it needs to install fire alarms
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 12:43:14 pm »
Did the inspector work for the US government in a previous life? :silly:

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 07:28:30 pm »
It sounds really stupid at first, but it ain't necessarily so.  I am quite certain that the guests bring with them lots and lots of blankets, sweaters, and other coverings, all of which are flammable, and some of which can produce toxic fumes.  If the smoker mentioned in the story had instead tried to hide his ciggie by dropping the still-lit butt onto the floor, and managed to get it stuck in a blanket instead - one made of synthetics - the consequences might have been much worse.  After all, fires are used for warmth and etc. in igloos, which are also made out of ice and snow.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:31:39 pm by Oceander »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 07:43:41 pm »
It sounds really stupid at first, but it ain't necessarily so.  I am quite certain that the guests bring with them lots and lots of blankets, sweaters, and other coverings, all of which are flammable, and some of which can produce toxic fumes.  If the smoker mentioned in the story had instead tried to hide his ciggie by dropping the still-lit butt onto the floor, and managed to get it stuck in a blanket instead - one made of synthetics - the consequences might have been much worse.  After all, fires are used for warmth and etc. in igloos, which are also made out of ice and snow.

It sounds really stupid at first until you realize that those doing the installing will be union thugs!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 07:48:35 pm »
It sounds really stupid at first until you realize that those doing the installing will be union thugs!

If this had happened in the U.S., the EPA would have forced them to install a sprinkler system.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 07:53:05 pm »
If this had happened in the U.S., the EPA would have forced them to install a sprinkler system.

:bigsilly:

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 02:13:03 pm »
I wonder if the escape doors open in or out?  OSHA requires they open out but I'm not sure what the law would be in this case.  Also, are door handles heated so skin doesn't stick to them?  This requires all new thinking. :whistle: