Author Topic: Colorado a microcosm for American politics  (Read 739 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Colorado a microcosm for American politics
« on: November 17, 2013, 12:54:51 AM »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline MBB1984

Re: Colorado a microcosm for American politics
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 05:02:27 PM »

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 05:05:48 PM »
Mexifornia has moved from former California to Colorado.

This is somewhat amusing, in a perverse sort of fashion, since the slogan of CO used to be (maybe still is) "Don't Californicate Colorado".
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 05:48:14 PM »
Nothing new, since I've seen my mother's childhood photos including classes with 33% Hispanics in the 1930s in Whittier California.

Mine in the 1950s with 25%  in Hispanics in adjacent LA Habra, California--after we moved back to California from Colorado.

The guy who drove the street water truck in Colorado joked with me that he was the Cisco Kid, an Hispanic character in a western show on television then.

I guess we have Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II and Obama to blame.

The first European language spoken in North America was Spanish. Our two largest states, Texas and California were part of Mexico before becoming part of the US.

I was extremely upset when Reagan approved Amnesty. Later I decided to live out my days in serenity, instead of fighting things which are beyond my control.

Until Palos Verdes High School was completed I had to go to 9th and 10th grades in Torrance where we had classes comprised of White, Mexican and Black.  The interesting thing back then is all three races got along just fine.   It was not until the Watts Riots in 1965 that it started to change.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »
Blacks were virtually nonexistent in Orange County in the 60s, the exceptions being Santa Ana (retired and military families), Fullerton (sports) and San Clemente (Marine Corps at nearby Pendleton).

Plenty of Hispanics, and a few Asians too, both of whom were included in my circle of friends.

My high school town's demographics have changed quite a lot, toward Hispanic--but neighborhoods are still very nice. These are 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation people that are essentially living the middle class American lifestyle.

When we were in Colorado a few years ago, we visited the town I lived there. We walked the street where my father built a home, and we lived for awhile.  I approached an older fellow, sitting on his front porch, but he spoke little English. His daughter came out, and we talked awhile. It turns out the family moved away from Lost Angeles, seeking a better area--after the 1992 Rodney King riots.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 08:23:14 PM »
and want to guess how that family is voting in Colorado, TS?

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 08:47:16 PM »
and want to guess how that family is voting in Colorado, TS?
The article says Colorado is a microcosm of the nation. In other words, reality.

If I woke up one morning, and discovered reality was changed, I could complain (to no avail) or busy myself with the task of adapting.

GW Bush and Chris Christie did quite well with Hispanics, so it can be done. To discover how to do well with Hispanic voters, I suggest studying what they did.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 08:51:08 PM »
The article says Colorado is a microcosm of the nation. In other words, reality.

If I woke up one morning, and discovered reality was changed, I could complain (to no avail) or busy myself with the task of adapting.

GW Bush and Chris Christie did quite well with Hispanics, so it can be done. To discover how to do well with Hispanic voters, I suggest studying what they did.

Except that wasn't my question. I commented up-thread the reason Colorado has gone blue is because so many have moved there from California which is basically a mess today because of the way the people you're holding up as an example here voted when they lived in California. Now these voters move out of the mess they helped create and instead of seeing WHY they had to leave they take the same voting patterns with them and screw up a perfectly good state... they did it to Oregon, they are doing it to Utah and they have done it to Colorado.  I have a lot of good friends in Colorado and they are not shy about sharing this factoid... and they are not happy about it..., many are multi-generation Colorado citizens.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 08:52:41 PM »
and since you want to make this about Hispanics - polls say they will not vote for Republicans because the newly installed Hispanics LOVE big government. Don't believe me. Actually go read the polls, in huge numbers they want free healthcare and they love all the other freebies they can get from big government.. no matter how you want to try and slice and dice it that is not your Republican voter.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 09:50:07 PM »
I get tired of just reading about problems, without solutions.

If conservatism can only bemoan the changing world, I not surprised by inability to convert sufficient voters to win.

I prefer looking for solutions.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 10:02:08 PM »
I get tired of just reading about problems, without solutions.

If conservatism can only bemoan the changing world, I not surprised by inability to convert sufficient voters to win.

I prefer looking for solutions.

The solution is dismantle the entitlement society, but when people on welfare are making more money tax free than most working Americans you tell me how they are going to change it,  People on medicaid (free) food stamps (free) section 8 housing, and more... with iphones, big screen TV,s money for beer, drug and tattoos...

I would start with mandatory drug testing for any benefits and mandatory work of some sort in return for the welfare checks... even if that means cleaning the road ways.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf