Author Topic: Colorado man suing for $1M in damages after police kill his dog  (Read 715 times)

Offline flowers

Colorado man suing for $1M in damages after police kill his dog
« on: November 16, 2013, 07:36:28 pm »

Nov. 15 (UPI) -- The owner of a dog shot that was shot and killed by Colorado police officers is suing Commerce City and three cops for $1 million in damages.

The officers involved in the shooting of the chocolate lab/pit bull mix, Chloe, were cleared of any wrongdoing in a criminal trial.

The video of Chloe’s killing went viral on the Internet and many people were horrified by what had happened and protested about the excessive use of force. That is just part of the reason that Gary Branson has decided to file the civil case.

Chloe helped Branson recover after undergoing triple bypass surgery in 2008.

"She motivated me," Branson said. "When you have a surgery like that, that's going to bring you down. She was always there to perk me up, whether it was by licking my toes or begging for a bone. She just brightened my day, every day."

Branson cites the severe emotional distress that he has suffered and, although he’s already gotten another dog, he claims his life will never be the same.

“I can’t replace Chloe,” said Branson, “there are so many dogs being shot needlessly it needs to come to a stop.”

This is the video of the incident:

video at link

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Colorado man suing for $1M in damages after police kill his dog
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 08:06:18 pm »
I believe the police must be constrained. That means new training and new rules for when, what and why they shoot. If they are too afraid of every threat, get more brave types for police work, like we used to have.

I think we have reached a point where many are trained with a "video-game" mentality, of shoot first, shoot fast, and explain later.

Hopefully insurance rates and city councils will get their heads around this problem.

I live in a dog lover town. We have dog beach, and dog park. We have volunteers that walk dogs at the ASPCA shelter, which is "no kill." Walking your dog is part of the local scene and culture.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:15:29 pm »
I live in the woods. Our cops are 1 hour away. I know them both. They know my dog. I don't think they would shot him. Yet if I had to call the cops I would put my dog in the house and speak to them outside.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 08:21:16 pm »
I live in the woods. Our cops are 1 hour away. I know them both. They know my dog. I don't think they would shot him. Yet if I had to call the cops I would put my dog in the house and speak to them outside.

The Wahington Times reporter who had her home searched this summer said the first thing her husband told het wad lock their dog up.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 08:28:44 pm »

The Wahington Times reporter who had her home searched this summer said the first thing her husband told het wad lock their dog up.
I remember that. Smart thing.