Author Topic: Dan Rather: CBS 'airbrushed' me from history, 'like the Kremlin'  (Read 801 times)

rangerrebew

Dan Rather: CBS 'airbrushed' me from history, 'like the Kremlin'
« on: November 16, 2013, 02:53:44 pm »
What is the big deal?  Reporters and networks lie all the time.  He was part of it, he did it, and is well aware how the system works.  That's just the way it is in the MSM and as Harry Reid said, "deal with it", Dan.

Dan Rather: CBS 'Airbrushed' Me From History, 'Like Kremlin'

Thursday, 14 Nov 2013 03:30 PM

By Melissa Clyne

Disgruntled CBS News anchor Dan Rather is steamed about his former network's decision to commemorate the 50th anniversary of President John F. Kennedy's assassination without him.

"They are trying to airbrush me out of their history, like the Kremlin," he told a TV Newser columnist. "I had hoped that whatever animus was there, as time goes by, would fade, and maybe they would change their minds. What's next — I'm airbrushed out of Watergate coverage? Vietnam? Tiananmen Square? 9/11? Where does this lead?"

Editor's Note: Seniors Scoop Up Unclaimed $20,500 Checks? (See if You qualify)

Rather and CBS famously parted ways in 2006 after 44 years, 24 of those with Rather in the anchor's chair, after he aired a segment on "60 Minutes II" alleging that family connections kept then-President George W. Bush from seeing combat in Vietnam.

Rather's report relied on falsified documents supplied by a retired Texas National Guard official who had been a vocal Bush critic. Rather later sued the network for $70 million, accusing its top brass of using the scandal to force him from his position. In 2009, a New York State appeals court tossed the suit.

Huffington Post reports that CBS will air footage that includes Rather — he was a young reporter instrumental in CBS' coverage when Kennedy was shot and killed in Dallas in 1963 — but snubbed him by not extending an invitation for Rather to appear in the network special.

The 82-year-old told The Associated Press that he "held off doing anything for anybody else for a while, thinking I may be asked to do something [for CBS]." He instead will offer his insights on rival network NBC.

Rather, long criticized for having a liberal bias that he purportedly weaved into his reporting, is no stranger to controversy. In 1987, he angrily walked off the set just before a remote "Evening News" broadcast from Miami. Rather was upset about a U.S. Open tennis match bleeding into the newscast. And he engaged in a heated exchange with then-Vice President George H.W. Bush over the Iran-Contra affair.

Editor's Note: Seniors Scoop Up Unclaimed $20,500 Checks? (See if You qualify)

He has also been part of some bizarre encounters, including getting sucker-punched in the stomach during the 1968 Democratic National Convention and being taken on a wild goose chase in 1980 by a Chicago cab driver as Rather screamed out the window for help.

In 1986, Rather got mugged in Manhattan as the attacker repeatedly yelled: "Kenneth, what is the frequency?" The phrase became part of the American vernacular used to describe a confused person. Rock group R.E.M. later released a song titled "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?"

Rather now works with AXS TV, a high-definition cable TV station.

© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/US/rather-cbs-jfk-assassination/2013/11/14/id/536692?ns_mail_uid=837898&ns_mail_job=1546127_11152013&promo_code=159B2-1##ixzz2kov4Q26b
 Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

Offline Slide Rule

Re: Dan Rather: CBS 'airbrushed' me from history, 'like the Kremlin'
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 03:13:17 pm »
Rather was always a hanger on and news fabricator.  He tried out the Walter Cronkite seat
but failed as he was not the ultimate liar that Walter was.

A rank liar does not hold a position for long.  Perhaps only for the entertainment value.

You need a PhD in Lying to survive at CBS.

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 03:34:37 pm »
Quote from Jonah Goldberg's Schadenfreudrama piece (which I loved)--

"Indeed, not since Dan Rather handcuffed himself to a fraudulent typewriter, hurled it into the abyss, and saw his career plummet like Ted Kennedy was behind the wheel have I enjoyed a story more."   :beer:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 04:20:47 pm »
"There can only be one Sun in the sky."  Attributed to Lenin regarding Trotsky's contribution to the Revolution and spreading credit.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 05:39:45 pm »
"There can only be one Sun in the sky."  Attributed to Lenin regarding Trotsky's contribution to the Revolution and spreading credit.

The quote appears to be attributed to several folks, including NZ Prime Minister Joseph Ward in a 1908 discussion with a Maori chief:  http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10860565

Nonetheless, it's apropos.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 06:39:40 pm »
It's a sad little man who at 82 has nothing more to offer than whining about being caught for whoppers than no honorable man would have ever told.

You  should have made better choices, Danny........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 10:08:59 pm »
Rather was always a hanger on and news fabricator.  He tried out the Walter Cronkite seat
but failed as he was not the ultimate liar that Walter was.

A rank liar does not hold a position for long.  Perhaps only for the entertainment value.

You need a PhD in Lying to survive at CBS

Is that ever true....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776