Author Topic: Germany opens first coal-fired power plant in eight years  (Read 571 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Germany opens first coal-fired power plant in eight years
« on: November 16, 2013, 12:18:53 am »
http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/15/germany-opens-first-coal-fired-power-plant-in-eight-years/

Germany opens first coal-fired power plant in eight years

Posted By Michael Bastasch On 5:02 PM 11/15/2013

Germany has just opened its first coal-fired power plant in eight years, reports Bloomberg, as the country grapples with renewable energy subsidies that are driving up electricity costs.

The German energy company Steag says its 725-megawatt coal plant in the western part of the country will begin commercial operations later this year, after “optimization works and testing” have been completed. This will be the first hard-coal-fired plant to come online in the country since 2005.

This is just the beginning of coal’s German comeback, as ten new hard-coal plants are scheduled to come online in the next two years, according to Germany’s electrical grid regulator. This will boost the country’s coal capacity by 33 percent, according to analysts.

Coal’s comeback has been made possible by the massive drop in carbon prices in the European Union’s cap-and-trade system throughout the year. This has made burning natural gas less lucrative for power companies.

“Coal prices recently fell to their lowest price for over four years in October and carbon prices are half what they were two years ago, making coal-burn extremely attractive to generators in terms of profitability,” Gary Hornby, an energy analyst at Inenco Group Ltd., told Bloomberg.

Data shows that the burning coal earns companies 9.16 euros per megawatt hour, while burning natural gas nets companies a loss of 19.31 megawatts per hour. As more natural gas plants are taken offline, they have to be replaced by coal.

“Gas power plants coming off line must be replaced with baseload generation, coal seems the logical solution,” Hornby added.

Germany has also been struggling with skyrocketing energy costs due to government support of renewable energy. the country now has some of the highest energy bills in Europe and the government is grappling with how to cut back their green agenda without imperiling their global warming goals.

Chancellor Angela Merkel has vowed to reform the country’s faltering renewable energy laws, but is also pushing nuclear power out of the equation — planning to shut down nine nuclear reactors within the decade.

However, that power can’t be made up with renewable energy from wind or solar as such sources are too intermittent to provide reliable, round-the-clock power, according to analysts. Merkel’s energy plan will need more coal power to make up for when the wind doesn’t blow or the sun doesn’t shine.

“Merkel’s government has put itself in a dilemma,” said Danny Graefe, a power and natural gas trader. “On the one hand it is promoting green energy, on the other hand, we see all those hard coal plants coming online now. I don’t see anything bullish in the power market.”

Germany is expected to stay reliant on coal for the foreseeable future, as 45 percent of the country’s power needs were met by burning coal in 2012.

“We won’t be able to renounce coal from Germany in the foreseeable future,” said Hildegard Mueller of the energy lobbying group BDEW. “Coal is essential to the energy mix.”
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Germany opens first coal-fired power plant in eight years
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 03:39:56 am »
Wise move by the Germans, the country has ample coal reserves. Time to start utilizing them. They'll be building more coal-fired plants in the future.

In 1971, I was a G.I. stationed in Bamberg, a little north of Nurnberg. I would walk downtown to the banhof (RR station) and watch them changes engines (similar to what Amtrak did for years in New Haven, change from electric to diesel).

However at Bamberg, they took off the electric engine and backed a _steam_ engine onto the train. Pretty interesting for a railfan like myself (I'd never seen steam in regular service in the U.S.A.).

In the winter, many homes were still heated with coal, and you could smell the coal smoke in the breeze at times. Didn't bother me at all. Less so than the "burnt umbre" smell of catalytic converters these days...