Author Topic: Sun Set To 'Flip Upside Down' Within Weeks  (Read 6305 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Sun Set To 'Flip Upside Down' Within Weeks
« on: November 15, 2013, 12:43:29 pm »
Scary headline win of the day.

Sky News: http://news.sky.com/story/1169107/sun-set-to-flip-upside-down-within-weeks

The Sun's magnetic field is expected to flip upside down within weeks as its north and south poles swap sides.

The phenomenon, which will send "ripple effects" throughout the solar system, happens once every 11 years as the solar cycle reaches its peak.

It will be observed throughout the heliosphere - the vast region of space affected by the Sun's magnetic field, which extends billions of miles beyond Pluto.

The swap could cause intergalactic weather events such as geomagnetic storms, which can cause radio blackouts and interfere with satellites.

The heightened solar activity it coincides with is also expected to give stargazers a better glimpse of the aurora borealis, or Northern Lights.

Todd Hoeksema, a scientist at Stanford University's Wilcox Solar Observatory, said the polar reversal takes place as the Sun's magnetic field moves north or south from the equator, eroding the existing pole as it does so.

"It's kind of like a tide coming in or going out," he said. "Each little wave brings a little more water in, and eventually you get to the full reversal."

Latest measurements show the Sun technically has two south poles, caused by its two hemispheres being out of sync.

Phil Scherrer, who works with Mr Hoeksema at the observatory, said: "The north pole has already changed sign, while the south pole is racing to catch up.

"Soon, however, both poles will be reversed, and the second half of solar max will be under way."

Mr Hoeksema said in early August that a "complete field reversal" looked like being "no more than three to four months away".

Instruments at the solar observatory near San Francisco have been staring at the Sun for nearly 40 years and record its magnetic field every day.

So, it is a perfectly normal thing that happens every 11 years or so.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Sun Set To 'Flip Upside Down' Within Weeks
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 01:25:11 pm »
Quite frankly, I never heard of the event. And if it is something that happenes every 11 years as the story says that means in has happened 5 times in my life time - without notice, and no effect on the solor system.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 02:01:44 pm »
Quite frankly, I never heard of the event. And if it is something that happenes every 11 years as the story says that means in has happened 5 times in my life time - without notice, and no effect on the solor system.

Yep, the media makes a scary headline out of the mundane.

Tomorrow- Humans caught exhaling greenhouse gasses

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 02:39:38 pm »

I remember the flip when I was 12/13. Magnificent aurora, was even visible during the day. We also lost TV for a few days, the ionosphere was completely messed up.

SPQR

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 12:00:48 pm »
You also remember that the Earth's magnetic poles also flips. There some scientists believe that the magnetic flipping is starting. The Earths magnetic field has lost 10 percent of its strength.

SPQR

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 12:08:08 pm »
You also remember that the Earth's magnetic poles also flips. There some scientists believe that the magnetic flipping is starting. The Earths magnetic field has lost 10 percent of its strength.

The flipping is due the dynamo processes at the center of the earth. The last flipping of the poles took place  800,000 years ago
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:10:03 pm by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 12:11:56 pm »

Yep - every 300,000 years or so.

SPQR

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 12:14:28 pm »
Yep - every 300,000 years or so.

So we are in the time frame of another flip

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 12:36:56 pm »
So we are in the time frame of another flip

Everybody alive thinks they are living in a paradigm shift of sorts....whether it's political or environmental.

A shift of the poles should certainly mean global earthquakes of biblical proportions where entire continents may disappear under the seas....and new ones born.

God's way of flushing the toilet.

The 'trick' is to find a place where it might give you the best chance of being the 'new' world's caveman.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

SPQR

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 01:13:11 pm »

Everybody alive thinks they are living in a paradigm shift of sorts....whether it's political or environmental.

A shift of the poles should certainly mean global earthquakes of biblical proportions where entire continents may disappear under the seas....and new ones born.

The 'trick' is to find a place where it might give you the best chance of being the 'new' world's caveman.    :laugh:

We really do not know what to expect. The last time this was experienced was when our ancestors were barely climbing out of the trees. And you are correct that this will have a direct effect of our standard of living and may throw us back to the stone age . We are seeing some chinks in the armor. The South Atlantic Anomaly is a place where the the Earths magnetic density is at its lowest. In the 1960s we tested under Project Argus what would an atmosphereic nuclear weapon might do at this area
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:22:15 pm by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 01:25:06 pm »
We really do not know what to expect. The last time this was experienced was when our ancestors were barely climbing out of the trees. And you are correct that this will have a direct effect of our standard of living and may throw us back to the stone age . We are seeing some chinks in the armor. The South Atlantic Anomaly is a place where the the Earths magnetic density is at its lowest. In the 1960s we tested under Project Argus what would an atmosphereic nuclear weapon might do at this area

The tests where conducted in the late 1950s with three missiles

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 04:12:41 pm »

Won't be quite that bad.  :laugh:

We have a reasonable idea that the continents will stay intact. They have done the last few times.

Might be an idea to stay indoors under a slate or metal roof though. The weaker the magnetic field gets, the more charged particles get through. Normally it wouldn't matter, but if we happen to get a jackpot year - both sets of poles flipping at the same time - it could cause huge problems.

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 06:01:09 pm »

We have a reasonable idea that the continents will stay intact. They have done the last few times.

Might be an idea to stay indoors under a slate or metal roof though. The weaker the magnetic field gets, the more charged particles get through. Normally it wouldn't matter, but if we happen to get a jackpot year - both sets of poles flipping at the same time - it could cause huge problems.

The threat of an increase in charged particles, including cosmic rays, is probably one of the more significant risks.  Even now, "[a]irline crews flying long distance high-altitude routes can be exposed to 2.2 mSv of extra radiation each year due to cosmic rays, nearly doubling their total ionizing radiation exposure."  Wikipedia.  Even the temporary loss of Earth's magnetic field would dramatically increase the amount of radiation everyone - other than perhaps miners deep underground - absorbs.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:02:19 pm by Oceander »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 06:03:09 pm »
The threat of an increase in charged particles, including cosmic rays, is probably one of the more significant risks.  Even now, "[a]irline crews flying long distance high-altitude routes can be exposed to 2.2 mSv of extra radiation each year due to cosmic rays, nearly doubling their total ionizing radiation exposure."  Wikipedia.

Charged particles, huh?

That makes it sound as though the sun is an electrical phenomenon...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 06:04:40 pm »
Charged particles, huh?

That makes it sound as though the sun is an electrical phenomenon...

Huh??  You do know where cosmic rays come from, don't you?  And you do realize that the comment was made in the context of the Earth's magnetic field, not the Sun's magnetic field, don't you?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 06:17:18 pm »
Huh??  You do know where cosmic rays come from, don't you?  And you do realize that the comment was made in the context of the Earth's magnetic field, not the Sun's magnetic field, don't you?

S'cuse me.  I thought you were talking about the sun...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

SPQR

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 06:23:56 pm »

The last time it flipped 300,000 years ago it did not have a power grid to deal with. Just imagine the world's power system going kaput all at once. From going the 21st century to horse and buggy in a matter of seconds.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:32:13 pm by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 06:31:00 pm »
The threat of an increase in charged particles, including cosmic rays, is probably one of the more significant risks.  Even now, "[a]irline crews flying long distance high-altitude routes can be exposed to 2.2 mSv of extra radiation each year due to cosmic rays, nearly doubling their total ionizing radiation exposure."  Wikipedia.  Even the temporary loss of Earth's magnetic field would dramatically increase the amount of radiation everyone - other than perhaps miners deep underground - absorbs.

It's not going to be particularly good for any satellites outside the Van Allen belts, either. That would be most of them. Sensitive electronics and ions don't exactly play nice together at the best of times.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 06:32:48 pm »
The last time it flipped 300,000 years ago it did not have a power grid to deal with.

Most of the power grid will cope. I'm betting a few local failures with the very oldest substations, tops.

SPQR

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 06:35:04 pm »
It's not going to be particularly good for any satellites outside the Van Allen belts, either. That would be most of them. Sensitive electronics and ions don't exactly play nice together at the best of times.

What I worry about is a powerful Gamma X-Ray Burst(Pulsar) striking the Earth. Its been theorized that this has caused extinctions in the past on Earth

SPQR

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 06:36:08 pm »
Most of the power grid will cope. I'm betting a few local failures with the very oldest substations, tops.

I do not think so. Many of our systems were built in the 1950s and even not hardended  against EMP bursts. The US government is currently as of last week of running tests  of a EMP attack
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:37:50 pm by SPQR »

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 06:39:10 pm »

true enough.  what about electronics down on the surface?  the information network in which we're now immersed, and which many twenty somethings take for granted the same way most of us take the air for granted, depends crucially on electronics that, to put it lightly, are ill-prepared to deal with significantly increased radiation of that sort.  Without knowing enough to make any sort of accurate prognostication, it seems to me possible that we may be shorn of that network, leaving many younger folk feeling naked and disabled.

SPQR

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 06:40:39 pm »
I do not think so. Many of our systems were built in the 1950s and even not hardended  against EMP bursts. The US government is currently as of last week of running tests  of a EMP attack

Here is the article

http://beforeitsnews.com/conspiracy-theories/2013/11/power-grid-down-drill-to-be-conducted-by-us-government-2456182.html

SPQR

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 06:41:33 pm »
true enough.  what about electronics down on the surface?  the information network in which we're now immersed, and which many twenty somethings take for granted the same way most of us take the air for granted, depends crucially on electronics that, to put it lightly, are ill-prepared to deal with significantly increased radiation of that sort.  Without knowing enough to make any sort of accurate prognostication, it seems to me possible that we may be shorn of that network, leaving many younger folk feeling naked and disabled.

Below the surface yes they will survive but above no. A 2012 report by the National Academy of Science said terrorists could cripple the nation by damaging or destroying hard-to-replace components, some of which aren’t even made in the United States.The GridEX II drill Nov. 13-14 will focus primarily on how governments will react if the electrical grid fails and, for instance, the food supply chain collapses.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:46:34 pm by SPQR »

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 06:48:20 pm »
Below the surface yes they will survive but above no. A 2012 report by the National Academy of Science said terrorists could cripple the nation by damaging or destroying hard-to-replace components, some of which aren’t even made in the United States.

As far as I know, many of the large server farms are above ground.