Author Topic: Obama’s “fix” for insurance cancellations is not going over well  (Read 1494 times)

Offline happyg

John Hayward   
While President Obama was making everyone stand around waiting for his characteristically tardy appearance at the White House today, House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) was giving a pre-buttal to the proposed insurance cancellation “fix.”  Boehner said it’s clear the White House cannot be trusted, ran through the litany of broken ObamaCare promises, mused on the dangers of forcing the American people to use a web system with severe security flaws… and said there was “no way an administrative fix is both legal and effective.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=H5v4WcTukTM
It’s good to see the Republicans stand up for the rule of law, which seemed like a bit of a dead letter after the last time Obama violated the Constitution to rewrite his “signature achievement” on the fly.

Sarah Kliff at the Washington Post was struck by how quickly the backlash to Obama’s “fix” began:

It took about three hours exactly for states to start pushing back against President Obama’s request that regulators allow insurance plans to offer current products in 2014.

Washington state insurance commissioner Mike Kreidler has announced that he will not allow insurance companies to do so.

“In the interest of keeping the consumer protections we have enacted and ensuring that we keep health insurance costs down for all consumers, we are staying the course,” he said in a statement moments ago. “We will not be allowing insurance companies to extend their policies. I believe this is in the best interest of the health insurance market in Washington.”
According to Kliff, Commissioner Kriedler is “one of the most liberal regulators” in the business… and his rejection of Obama’s “fix” is actually “a full-throated defense of the Affordable Care Act.”  He’s not going to let that weasel Barack Obama undermine the noble and beautiful law the great Barack Obama passed!

Judging by this afternoon’s statement from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, there will be resistance from coast to coast:

For three years, state insurance regulators have been working to adapt to the Affordable Care Act in a way that best meets the needs of consumers in each state.   We have been particularly concerned about the way the reforms would impact premiums, the solvency of insurance companies, and the overall health of the marketplace.  The NAIC has been clear from the beginning that allowing insurers to have different rules for different policies would be detrimental to the overall market and result in higher premiums.

We have expressed these concerns with the Administration and are concerned by the President’s announcement today that the federal government would use its “enforcement discretion” to delay enforcement of the ACA’s market reforms in 2014 for plans that are currently in effect.  This decision continues different rules for different policies and threatens to undermine the new market, and may lead to higher premiums and market disruptions in 2014 and beyond.

In addition, it is unclear how, as a practical matter, the changes proposed today by the President can be put into effect.  In many states, cancellation notices have already gone out to policyholders and rates and plans have already been approved for 2014. Changing the rules through administrative action at this late date creates uncertainty and may not address the underlying issues. We look forward to learning more details of this policy change and about how the administration proposes that regulators and insurers make this work for all consumers.

The insurance commissioner for Kansas told the Washington Post the situation is “just a big mess right now… I don’t know what to tell people.”  Insurance consultant Robert Lazewski sent this note out to his clients:
This means that the insurance companies have 32 days to reprogram their computer systems for policies, rates, and eligibility, send notices to the policyholders via US Mail, send a very complex letter that describes just what the differences are between specific policies and Obamacare compliant plans, ask the consumer for their decision —  and give them a reasonable time to make that decision —  and then enter those decisions back into their systems without creating massive billing, claim payment, and provider eligibility list mistakes.

All by January 1.
The New Jersey Association of Health Underwriters told David Steinberg of PJ Media, “This is a new insanity.”
I do not know how the insurance carriers and federal government are going to be dealing with this. First, many states require a 60-day notice of a change in plan or a cancellation. It’s November 15! How can they comply with this new element of federal law, and with their state laws?

Second, do they really think carriers are going to be willing to recreate the old plans, while also being mandated to offer the new ones that comply with the exchanges? I have a large number of clients, small to medium-sized businesses, who would much rather renew their old policies on 12/1 than sign up with the newly mandated exchange policies. Everyone is going to want the old ones! You really expect the insurance carriers to willingly deal with the financial loss and legal headaches of switching back?

It is going to be very difficult for carriers to honor this.

And it’s going to be very difficult for Obama to keep blaming his failures on them.

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/11/14/obamas-fix-for-insurance-cancellations-is-not-going-over-well/

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Obama’s “fix” for insurance cancellations is not going over well
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:16:31 am »
I didn't get any warm and fuzzy feelings from the comments Boehner made... the comments he made about IRS, NSA, Benghazi still ring in my ears and they never went any further than the podium.. remember "someone is going to jail over this"......  that is Boehner, all hat and no cattle.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 04:26:23 am »
I didn't get any warm and fuzzy feelings from the comments Boehner made... the comments he made about IRS, NSA, Benghazi still ring in my ears and they never went any further than the podium.. remember "someone is going to jail over this"......  that is Boehner, all hat and no cattle.

I lost all faith in Boehner. I think his brain is fried. His delivery always did suck, so he might as well hang it up, and let someone else take the helm.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 04:28:52 am »
I lost all faith in Boehner. I think his brain is fried. His delivery always did suck, so he might as well hang it up, and let someone else take the helm.

Anyone can walk out and say I'm angry.. actions are what speaks.  This afternoon Rep.Nunes was on Cavuto discussing his frustration at getting Boehner to move with a special investigator for these scandals. he was discussing the letter he sent Boehner... said he's received no reply.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 04:31:47 am »
I think Boehner thought he could slide by, but what is going on now calls for heavy lifting. If the republicans blow this, it will be the end for the party.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 04:31:47 am »
Anyone can walk out and say I'm angry.. actions are what speaks.  This afternoon Rep.Nunes was on Cavuto discussing his frustration at getting Boehner to move with a special investigator for these scandals. he was discussing the letter he sent Boehner... said he's received no reply.

My question remains WHY is Bohner so resistant to a select committee to investigate Benghazi?

What is he afraid will be uncovered by such an effort?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 04:33:09 am »
My question remains WHY is Bohner so resistant to a select committee to investigate Benghazi?

What is he afraid will be uncovered by such an effort?

I think he was in on it in some way. There is no other reason to avoid a full investigation.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 04:50:12 am »
I think he was in on it in some way. There is no other reason to avoid a full investigation.

Either that or O has something on him he doesn't want out in the public... 

Offline happyg

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 04:54:09 am »
Either that or O has something on him he doesn't want out in the public...

There were rumors some time back that Boehner was having an affair. Maybe he was having lots of them? He could have been set up like Patreaus and other military leaders.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 04:54:35 am by happyg »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 05:08:15 am »
There were rumors some time back that Boehner was having an affair. Maybe he was having lots of them? He could have been set up like Patreaus and other military leaders.

Who would have thought the real reason Petraeus sat back silent about Benghazi had to do with an affair - but it did........    believe me if Boehner - if anyone - has any skeletons, this administration knows about it.

Offline happyg

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 05:11:59 am »
Who would have thought the real reason Petraeus sat back silent about Benghazi had to do with an affair - but it did........    believe me if Boehner - if anyone - has any skeletons, this administration knows about it.

Remember during his first term, Obama and Boehner went golfing together? I wouldn't put it past Obama to set Boehner up with women, and then, use it against him.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 07:48:21 am »
Remember during his first term, Obama and Boehner went golfing together? I wouldn't put it past Obama to set Boehner up with women, and then, use it against him.

Yep. I remember....

Offline Carling

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 07:51:44 am »

I have to say, because of the fact that my wife now has to go to San Francisco for emergency meetings on Sunday, and that she was on the phone until 11 tonight for conference calls, that the constant blaming of the GOPe for ObamaCare on this board has me at my limit.  The GOP has literally nothing to do with this law and its failed implementation.  Now, my family is impacted, as my wife, who spend 2.5 years trying to craft policies that adhered to the strict ObamaCare guidelines, has her work world turned upside down during the holiday season.

I GET IT.  YOU CAN'T STAND THE GOPe.  Let's focus on the Dems, and making them pay for this fiasco that is impacting millions of lives.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 07:52:34 am »
When did this thread become about Benghazi?   :thud:
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 02:56:01 pm »
When did this thread become about Benghazi?   :thud:

It isn't and I'm the one guilty of introducing the subject.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien