Author Topic: Obamacare credibility going up in smoke: Our view The Editorial Board, USATODAY  (Read 951 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/11/13/healthcaregov-obamacare-website-exchanges-editorials-debates/3520503/

Obamacare credibility going up in smoke: Our view
The Editorial Board, USATODAY 8:26 p.m. EST November 13, 2013
New HealthCare.gov data show just how broken it is.

The health insurance signup numbers the White House released Wednesday afternoon were deeply disappointing, though not particularly surprising.

Everyone knows that the HealthCare.gov website has been performing abysmally, and the actual numbers confirmed what everyone could only guess at until now because the White House had withheld the data.

Overall, only about one-fifth of the people the White House expected to sign up for insurance in the first month actually did so: 106,185 against a forecast of 500,000. That's just slightly less than a capacity crowd at Penn State's Beaver Stadium. And of those who signed up, only 26,794 did so on the federally run exchanges in 36 states. The rest enrolled on state-run exchanges.

The White House was pre-spinning the numbers weeks ago, as soon as it was clear that the website, which it had three-and-a-half years to make ready, was dysfunctional. Aides also pointed out that Massachusetts had similarly low sign-up rates when it first rolled out its universal health coverage plan. True, it's human nature to wait until the last minute to do something, especially when that something involves paying money. And the number of people visiting the online marketplaces (26.9 million) does show potentially strong demand for the policies being offered.

But when the White House isn't cluelessly advising people whose health insurance policies are being canceled to go shop at its barely functional website, it's acting as if there's plenty of time for people to sign up because the open enrollment period doesn't end until March 31. Tell that to millions of would-be enrollees who don't have the luxury of waiting that long because their insurance expires at the end of this year.

Administration troubleshooter Jeffrey Zients promised the website would be working smoothly for most users by the end of this month. Even if the exchanges begin to work well by then -- a big if -- that will leave people whose insurance policies run out at the end of the year little time to sign up for insurance that kicks in on New Year's Day. The deadline for signing up for insurance that begins Jan. 1 is Dec. 15.

That's frightening for two reasons. One is that the White House has next to no credibility left when it comes to promises about its website. The other is that the administration's disastrous incompetence is panicking Democrats, emboldening Republicans and threatening to unravel health reform.

That would be a sickening outcome, but with each passing day, there is more to do and less time to do it.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
They are right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

They are right!

I was stunned to hear Obama this morning.  HE was bragging 106, 000 have signed up for O-Care because  (after all) 40 million have been without health insurance in this country and (oh by the way) never mind 5 million of you have had your policies cancelled, that 106, 000 is REALLY good news for the common good.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
"The other is that the administration's disastrous incompetence is panicking Democrats, emboldening Republicans and threatening to unravel health reform."

Ummm, excuse me biased, leftist USA Today...why would this be a frightening outcome?  This outcome might just help save the nation from a complete disaster.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 11:24:04 pm by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline musiclady

"The other is that the administration's disastrous incompetence is panicking Democrats, emboldening Republicans and threatening to unravel health reform."

Ummm, excuse me biased, leftist USA Today...why would this be a frightening outcome?  This outcome might just help save the nation from a complete disaster.

I thought the same thing.

There is no better option available than having health care "reform" unravel.

The most frightening thing would be if it succeeds......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I thought the same thing.

There is no better option available than having health care "reform" unravel.

The most frightening thing would be if it succeeds......

This debacle is an answer to many prayers.  The best outcome that will hopefully come from this is that Obamacare is repealed and Obama is exposed as the liar fraud he has always been. 

I have been praying that the TRUTH will be exposed for everyone to see.  This is undeniable proof. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

This debacle is an answer to many prayers.  The best outcome that will hopefully come from this is that Obamacare is repealed and Obama is exposed as the liar fraud he has always been. 

I have been praying that the TRUTH will be exposed for everyone to see.  This is undeniable proof.

We all need to keep praying that the truth will continue to be revealed.

And yes, what is happening now is definitely an answer to prayers.

May God have mercy on America.  We need a revival!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
We all need to keep praying that the truth will continue to be revealed.

And yes, what is happening now is definitely an answer to prayers.

May God have mercy on America.  We need a revival!

:amen:   :amen:   :amen:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!